Name That Station!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Waterloo and Springfield are both good guesses, but neither is correct.

Hint #3: No trains stopped in this town in 1971, but Amtrak trains did run through it.

OK - with this latest hint I'm going to guess Du Quion, IL on the former Illinois Central....... thinking a stop that was not served in 1971 even though the Panama Limited passed through, has a relatively newer passenger shelter, and now has more passenger service than it did before the new shelter was erected.

Last edited by a moderator:
Both good guesses.....but both still incorrect.

Hint #4: Amtrak trains use two separate routes through this town.

New Buffalo, MI?
This one is correct!

The photograph showed the old New Buffalo station, which was located on the railroad line that carries the Pere Marquette. It opened in 1984, when that train began service. In 2009, a new station opened on the Amtrak-owned Michigan Line, which carries the Wolverine and Blue Water (and had been carrying trains since the formation of Amtrak), and the old station was closed. When the switch happened, New Buffalo went from receiving two trains per day to six (though a total of ten trains per day on both lines pass through town).

OK - next up -

An active station which has always had at least four passenger trains per day during the Amtrak era. Can anyone name it from this angle?

0094-M.jpg

Another hint -

This station currently serves 4 Amtrak trains daily. It has, at various times served 6 Amtrak trains...... though not neccessarily every day.

It looks like it could be Winter Park, FL. But it would not be a current photo, since WPK does not look like that now.

pennyk is correct. Winter Park, FL! Your turn to post a station.

Scott O. is correct also..... he was weighing in while I was responding to pennyk!

The original photo, taken from the southbound 'Silver Star' dates from March 1981. If no one had guessed it by the time I got home this evening, I was prepared to post THIS Winter Park photo from December 2011.

8259031011_ed22fa0440_c.jpg

pennyk is correct. Winter Park, FL! Your turn to post a station.

The original photo, taken from the southbound 'Silver Star' dates from March 1981. If no one had guessed it by the time I got home this evening, I was prepared to post THIS photo from December 2011.

8259031011_ed22fa0440_c.jpg
The station is under construction now due to SunRail, and I believe the building will be replaced with a bigger and better station building. I do not have any photos to post, so anyone may post one in my place.

WPK used to be my home station (from 1988 to 2003). Now it is Orlando. :)

580731_188593717953348_1232610702_n.jpg

A picture of 91 SB from November (I cant find a newer one, shame on me!) in WPK. Center platform is gone, east track moved. Northwest and east platforms under construction.

OK...I would guess that a few hints are in order.

• On A-day in 1971, this station saw 4 trains per day.
  • This photo was taken sometime in 1975
  • The view ls looking toward the east
  • This station still exists, but is no longer an active Amtrak station.

OK - Thought process here -

Looks like a Santa Fe caboose.

In 1971 the 'Texas Chief' and 'Super Chief' stopped at two stations in Illinois which no longer have any service since the 'Southwest Chief' was shifted to the former CB&Q between Chicago and Galesburg.

Looking east at Streator, IL, a station I actually went in and out of a couple of times in the 1990's, there is a sweeping curve not visible here.

For these reasons, I'm guessing Chillicothe, IL.........

Your powers of deductive reasoning are superb. Yes, this badly faded photo was taken at Chilicothe, IL, sometime in 1975.

Your powers of deductive reasoning are superb. Yes, this badly faded photo was taken at Chilicothe, IL, sometime in 1975.
My wife tells me that I am a total train geek and she thinks I'm having an affair with Julie. She says "Every time you call that Julie you disappear a few days later on a 'train trip'.

Give me a few minutes to do a little research on the picture I want to post next and I'll come back with a station worthy of the talent here.

Back