Name That Station!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stretching the rules a bit. Tell me location and why its a stretch.
It's an old RR hotel, and it's across the street from the station.

It is an old RR hotel, but that's not why it's a stretch of the rules. It most certainly is an active or inactive Amtrak station.

It is down the street from this station, which was never used by Amtrak.

EDIT: It's across the street and down two blocks.

389783_2713215761572_1592271579_2420341_1199325283_n.jpg
OK, I think I've got at least part of the answer, here -- the second photo is definitely Lafayette, Indians.

As for the first image, though, all I've got is a guess. Is Lafayette one of the towns where Amtrak used to do street running, and the train might have stopped in the street by this building? (This could be totally off base, because I could never keep track of all the various Cardinal reroutes in that part of the country.)

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, I think I've got at least part of the answer, here -- the second photo is definitely Lafayette, Indians.

As for the first image, though, all I've got is a guess. Is that one of the towns where Amtrak used to do street running, and the train might have stopped in the street by this building? (This could be totally off base, because I could never keep track of all the various Cardinal reroutes in that part of the country.)
Both pics are from Lafayette, Indiana, on 5th street.

The limestone building is the original Monon depot, used until 1959. I cropped out a piece of track in the street, which the city has left in for history's sake.

The Monon then built this station north of the street running, which it used until the end of passenger service.

05-15LafayetteDepot-Huf01.jpg

The first picture is the old Lahr Hotel, which Amtrak used for the Floridian, Hoosier State and Cardinal until the realignment away from street running and the present use of the "Big Four" station. It has been remodeled into apartments and is now called Lahr House.

According to the rules of the game, an inactive station along a present Amtrak route, if four blocks away can still be considered along the route. Hope no one took offense.

My tag, by the way, refers to my year of graduation from the other big school along the old Monon, Indiana University at Bloomington. Sad that the Floridian is gone, along with the south end of the Monon, with all its curves and grades.

Montanan's turn.

The first picture is the old Lahr Hotel, which Amtrak used for the Floridian, Hoosier State and Cardinal until the realignment away from street running and the present use of the "Big Four" station. It has been remodeled into apartments and is now called Lahr House.

According to the rules of the game, an inactive station along a present Amtrak route, if four blocks away can still be considered along the route. Hope no one took offense.

My tag, by the way, refers to my year of graduation from the other big school along the old Monon, Indiana University at Bloomington. Sad that the Floridian is gone, along with the south end of the Monon, with all its curves and grades.

Montanan's turn.
That was a great quiz question!

Here's my entry for today, which should be pretty easy:

pitamakan06-11-06b.jpg

Montanan's turn.
That was a great quiz question!

Here's my entry for today, which should be pretty easy:

pitamakan06-11-06b.jpg
Memphis?

I'll jump in with one that is not too hard

6616289217_a9e4742b97.jpg
">
That's my old home turf ... Belton/West Glacier, Montana. Looks like you were standing in the parking lot of the Glacier Highland Motel when you took that shot. :)

I worked in West Glacier and Lake McDonald for eight summers, and have watched the Empire Builder pull into that station more times than I can count.

I'll jump in with one that is not too hard

6616289217_a9e4742b97.jpg
">
That's my old home turf ... Belton/West Glacier, Montana. Looks like you were standing in the parking lot of the Glacier Highland Motel when you took that shot. :)

I worked in West Glacier and Lake McDonald for eight summers, and have watched the Empire Builder pull into that station more times than I can count.
I should have said that you weren't eligible to answer, I knew you would get it :rolleyes:

And yes, I was standing right outside my room at Glacier Highland where we had checked in after 4 a.m. after walking across the street from the station. EB was 8 hours late getting us there but we had a great trip. I want to go back to Glacier very soon.

I should have said that you weren't eligible to answer, I knew you would get it :rolleyes:

And yes, I was standing right outside my room at Glacier Highland where we had checked in after 4 a.m. after walking across the street from the station. EB was 8 hours late getting us there but we had a great trip. I want to go back to Glacier very soon.
I should have passed on that one, but I love that place so much I couldn't resist. :)

Here's one that's probably impossibly difficult ... with apologies in advance:

pitamakan2007-06-08c.jpg

Here is one from my 2007 visit to Atlanta and the lights look like that dark one above:

Atlanta-2007-1.jpg

Nevermind that the luggage carts welcomed me to LAX; I was in Atlanta:

Atlanta-2007-2.jpg

Ok, this might be too difficult, but the last time I said that someone got it in less than an hour, so I'll put it up anyway:

Back