National Parks

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Another destination worthy of mention is the Channel Islands National Park, offshore from Santa Barbara. As has been said elsewhere, "You can SEE it from here" when you ride Amtrak... Coast Starlight or the Surfliners (especially continuing on north of Goleta towards San Luis Obispo). If it is daylight when you pass by, and if the weather is good and if the air is clear... you will see the Islands, some 25 miles offshore.

One more that no one ever thinks of: the Southwest Chief actually runs through a small portion of Petrified Forest National Park, in Arizona! Of course, it doesn't stop, and you're not likely to notice anything extraordinary from the fast-moving train.
No wonder I get scared every time I ride the SWC. :lol:

One more that no one ever thinks of: the Southwest Chief actually runs through a small portion of Petrified Forest National Park, in Arizona! Of course, it doesn't stop, and you're not likely to notice anything extraordinary from the fast-moving train.
No wonder I get scared every time I ride the SWC. :lol:
I've seen some people on the SWC act like rocks! :lol:

Don't know about Amtrak but Crater Lake is gorgeous to visit. I was there a few years ago in early July. Still lots of snow and the road around the lake only just opened while we were there. Only downside was there were a lot of bugs.

They get tons of snow there. I saw a picture of the lodge where it was up to the roofline..and it is a 3 story lodge I think.

You will love it if you can get there.

Dan

Chemult is a town with a population of 100, if that. So, going out on a limb :lol: I'd say the chances of rentals at Chemult is not great.
Wow, a rail town with a population less than some college lectures. I didn't think such existed.
i guess you never made it to the Thurmond, West Virginia stop. Population 7. :p

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thurmond,_West_Virginia
You mean Thurmond had THAT MANY? :huh: I spent many hours stuck on #50 a few weeks back in Thurmond - and didn't even see that! Maybe they all went to lunch! :lol:

Hmmm, one of the "Scenic Highlights" of the Empire Builder is the "Gateway to Mount Rainier, Washington". Does that mean that you could get off the train at the mountain? I do not think so, but I don't want to rule it out.
Without renting a car, it doesn't seem possible to do mount rainier at all :(

(Since I can't think of anything worth doing in Seattle other than the Space Needle, so my time in seattle will be spent going other places near there. The "legacy" of pearl jam and the home of starbucks, the only 2 things seattle is stereotypically known for, don't really call out to me.)
Jazz Alley, Bainbridge Ferry, Underground Tour , I only layed over for one night between the EB & CS, but wished I had taken more time!!!

AND couldn't walk the MARKET!

Last edited by a moderator:
Then there's Harper's Ferry National Historic Park. If the Amtrak station in Harper's Ferry isn't actually in the park, it's very close. Well, to be honest, it's a bit of a hike up to the Bolivar Heights Unit, but in downtown Harper's Ferry you have the old arsenal (of John Brown fame), and the Appalachian Trail. If you have a car Antietam Battlefield is quite close.
The Appalachian Trail Conservancy lists (sadly, only) two trailheads accessible by rail: Harper's Ferry (Amtrak) and Pawling, New York (Metro North). It's a 610 mile hike between them. I wonder if anyone's done a (t)railhead to (t)railhead section-hike... :) I guess that would take about four weeks? Maybe someday.... :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back