National Train Day 2009

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes and yes, and to let everyone know, NTD won't be in NYP this year, scheduled for Philly (probably for the better looking station, more room. I'm trying to put a trip together for the day (did a day trip for the 100th anniversary of WUS, and even leaving my house on LI at 3am with all the reckless drunks driving around, we survived and had a fun day).

cpamtfan-Peter

Looks like they've ditched the silhouette of the F40 in favor of using the P42 for the artwork. 'Bout time. Still haven't figured out why the silhouette of an F40 is running around in all the artwork that Amtrak sells.

Cuz the F40 is attractive and the Genesis looks awful.

I wish they never ditched the P30CH and SDP40Fs. A1As > B

I went to from Lincoln NE to Denver last year. Works perfect for that trip. Took a buddy of mine for the first time on Amtrak for him. We departed LNK 2 hours late at 2am and arrived DEN around 9am. Hung out with his son all day in DEN and then boarded again at 1:30am (it was 5 hours late) and arrived back in LNK around 10am on Mothers Day. All in all, we had alot of fun! Cost us $120 RT for the both of us. We had a blast! I want to do it again this year but may have a formal dance the same day.

Al

I'm on the social committee with my church. (can you imagin' me on a social committee! :lol: ) So we are the gang that creates all the "fun". Such as the CHI trip on Amtrak etc. There's a person on the committee that puts together a spring formal every year and the very old but so cool ballroom called the Pla-Mor Ballroom had only two dates available and one was May 9th. I was at the meeting trying to get our singles ministry to go to Denver for a day on Amtrak, take in a baseball game and shop, but there was only two dates for the formal and that won out. I hate dressing formal, but had fun at the other formals. Usually tip the big band $100 so they will play the Angry Samoans, Ramones and Marilyn Manson big band style! :lol:

I'm on the social committee with my church. (can you imagin' me on a social committee! :lol: ) So we are the gang that creates all the "fun". Such as the CHI trip on Amtrak etc. There's a person on the committee that puts together a spring formal every year and the very old but so cool ballroom called the Pla-Mor Ballroom had only two dates available and one was May 9th. I was at the meeting trying to get our singles ministry to go to Denver for a day on Amtrak, take in a baseball game and shop, but there was only two dates for the formal and that won out. I hate dressing formal, but had fun at the other formals. Usually tip the big band $100 so they will play the Angry Samoans, Ramones and Marilyn Manson big band style! :lol:
What would it cost to get an authentic Angry Samoan to show up? And does he wear a fez while playing the guitar?

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's not forget that your personal preference doesn't always mean it's fact. ;)
Someone is against monocoque design. That's the problem.
Agreed, I could never understand the use of the F40 either for the ads. The F40 is VERY dated looking and while the P42 may not be the prettiest thing to ever grace the rails, it has a unique look that is distinctly modern even though its (design) is around 15 years old, if I'm not mistaking.

Let's not forget that your personal preference doesn't always mean it's fact. ;)
Agreed, I could never understand the use of the F40 either for the ads. The F40 is VERY dated looking and while the P42 may not be the prettiest thing to ever grace the rails, it has a unique look that is distinctly modern even though its (design) is around 15 years old, if I'm not mistaking.
The P40's will turn 16 this year. Not sure what month the first one was delivered, but they were all delivered in 1993.

The P40's will turn 16 this year. Not sure what month the first one was delivered, but they were all delivered in 1993.
Yes, NTD will be taking place on May 9th. And as for the trains in the ads, thanks for all the interest, they're intended to be amalgumations and no one train specifically.

What is NTD all about ?
Last year Amtrak introduced a concept of celebrating National Train Day to provide publicity and education regarding both freight and passenger rail. Celebrations were held in NY, CHI, WAS and LAX. Train displays, vendor sales, entertainment and education. A great turnout at all venues and many smaller cities held their own Train Day. It was a great opportunity to get families and others to received exposure to the Amtrak product. If you are not in a city that is having a major celebration, get together with some of your rail fan friends and organize a Train Day in your own community.

They handed out t-shirts, luggage tags and a few other things in Chicago last year. The t-shirts were all size L, I hope they run some XL this year.

Of course. I just think that preceding or appending every opinion I have with "In my opinion" is silly. I figure you boys and gals are all capable of seeing the difference between a fact and opinion.

And last year, they had 2 for 1 train trips! This year's NTD is the date of the 150th anniversary of the completion of the trans-continental railroad!

Actually, this years NTD is a day before the transcontinental rr was completed, and it's only 140 years (1869-2009).

cpamtfan-Peter

Is any location going to better then the other? I am thinking of going to the one in PHL. Is that one going to be as good as say the one in WAS. Like is there a flagship NTD or will they all be close in terms of what happens?

Is any location going to better then the other? I am thinking of going to the one in PHL. Is that one going to be as good as say the one in WAS. Like is there a flagship NTD or will they all be close in terms of what happens?

I think the one in Washington has cars on display (I seem to remember someone saying the Hickory Creek was there) and a refurbished Acela set and many other pieces of equipment.

cpamtfan-Peter

Last year's NY NTD was a bit weak, especially in the equipment department as there was nothing on display. However Philly has far more room to put equipment on display without disrupting regular service, so I suspect that Philly's will be nicer than NY's. That said, DC might still be nicer in that the trains on display aren't under the station and in the dark.

Last year's NY NTD was a bit weak, especially in the equipment department as there was nothing on display. However Philly has far more room to put equipment on display without disrupting regular service, so I suspect that Philly's will be nicer than NY's. That said, DC might still be nicer in that the trains on display aren't under the station and in the dark.
There doesn't seem like there is going to be one in NY. Thats why I was wondering which east coast one would be better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back