National Train Day

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Going to An Event?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Maybe?

• Its 4x AGR points I'll be on the rails!

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
There was debate if you can have 1 or 2 round trips on NTD for the 4X points. The way I read the T&C is "2 trips per day" and that each trip is either "1 round trip or 2 one ways". If you call Amtrak wanting to go round trip between say ALB and NWK, you don't ask for a round trip ALB-NYP and another round trip NYP-NWK. You would ask for a round trip ALB-NWK. That would count as 1 round trip, not 2 round trips or 4 one way trips!
And while YMMV, the TOC in the email that I received from AGR clearly states:

Limit of two qualifying trips per day (one roundtrip or two one-ways).

Frankly, I will thank my stars if the two trips I took on that day are actually credited by AGR at all. I am still waiting to get credit on trips taken in March, just the plain base points, let alone any bonuses and what nots :ph34r: !

There was debate if you can have 1 or 2 round trips on NTD for the 4X points. The way I read the T&C is "2 trips per day" and that each trip is either "1 round trip or 2 one ways". If you call Amtrak wanting to go round trip between say ALB and NWK, you don't ask for a round trip ALB-NYP and another round trip NYP-NWK. You would ask for a round trip ALB-NWK. That would count as 1 round trip, not 2 round trips or 4 one way trips!
And while YMMV, the TOC in the email that I received from AGR clearly states:

Limit of two qualifying trips per day (one roundtrip or two one-ways).
So if you did the above trip (ALB-NWK), you would not get credit for the whole trip, since it is 4 one way trips? :huh: My trips were 2 round trips (and thats how I read the T&C):

1. KIN-BOS-KIN
  2. KIN-NLC-KIN

I post how I get credit next week when the trips post!

I don't think AGR will reinterpret its rules for this promotion. They've been counting each separate ticket that a passenger receives as a trip. In recent times, they've limited the 100-point minimum award to a certain limit of trips (four legs for normal daily travel or "two roundtrips or four one-way trips").

For this promotion, it's two trips — either one roundtrip or two one-way trips. Although the parentheses adds more information, it's pretty clear to me that it's an attempt to define what AGR considers to be two trips. There's no evidence that AGR is using different language for this promotion or attempting to redefine how it views "trips."

While I was looking forward to a maximum of 1,600 points, I'm pretty happy with 1,000 points for one-day's worth of travel (although it's more like 2.5 times the normal points instead of 4x).

As was stated above, in AGR's unique world, a "trip" is what everyone else in the travel world calls a "segment". So, KIN-BOS-KIN is two segments (trips), and adding KIN-NLC-KIN makes four segments (trips). You will get 100 minimum points for each, but the NTD x4 will only apply to two of the four segments (trips).

FYI - I finally received 4X points for all 4 of my NTD trips! :) (This included 2 separate round trips.)

The delay was that 1 trip was on #66. It posted as "travel date 5/8/09" because it departed WAS and south on 5/8. However, I departed KIN to BOS @ 6:30 AM on 5/9! Originally, I received only 2X, but they corrected it to 4X after I told them. :)

So on NTD, I received 1,600 points for 2 trips totaling $51.20! :D (I should have done 4 trips of $9.60! :angry: :lol: )

Hmm. I'm going to have to start contacting AGR about missing points.

They credited two of my four legs on National Train Day, but only one of them got the bonus. One non-bonus ticket said I traveled two days later (which isn't accurate). That's partly my fault, I boarded the train and went right to the cafe car. I didn't get to surrender my ticket until I alighted.

Also, my Thruway trips aren't being counted consistently (they were in the past, and as recently as March 28).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back