NE Corridor Spinoff Approved?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Arkarch

DrudgeReport.com reporting vote by Amtrak Board of Directors...

"FLASH: Amtrak's board of directors approve key step in the Bush admin's plan for breaking up railroad, voting to spin off NE Corridor -- tracks from DC to Boston -- as separate operating entity... Developing..."

Looks like a further attack on the long distance routes.

Arkarch said:
DrudgeReport.com reporting vote by Amtrak Board of Directors...
"FLASH: Amtrak's board of directors approve key step in the Bush admin's plan for breaking up railroad, voting to spin off NE Corridor -- tracks from DC to Boston -- as separate operating entity... Developing..."

Looks like a further attack on the long distance routes.
Actually there is a bill which had been introduced by one of our FL representives (whom I will leave nameless here as it is posted elsewhere here in the forums) which was supposed to go through the House pretty soon. It dealt with the privatizing of the NEC.

All I can say, is we'll see what happens! However, it it gonna get ugly these coming months and year or so. I hope all Amtrak employees (managment and agreement) at least have their homes in order to be on the safe side! OBS...

I was focusing mainly on this last quote.... "Looks like a further attack on the long distance routes." The NEC will be what's left in the worse case scenario! OBS... <_<

From the website of United Rail Passenger Alliance (URPA), 10/11/05:

A major event has happened in the checkered life of Amtrak that, if successful, will change Amtrak forever for the better. On September 22, 2005, the Amtrak Board of Directors voted to begin an exploration process of creating a separate subsidiary of Amtrak to own and operate the infrastructure and real estate of the Northeast Corridor.
The rest of this opinion is here.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/13/national...l/13amtrak.html

New York Times

October 13, 2005

Amtrak Breakup Advances

By MATTHEW L. WALD

WASHINGTON, Oct. 12 - The Amtrak board has approved an essential step in the Bush administration plan to break up the railroad, voting to carve out the Northeast Corridor, the tracks between Boston and Washington, as a separate division.

The board, made up entirely of Mr. Bush's appointees, voted in a meeting on Sept. 22 to create a new subsidiary to own and manage the corridor, which includes nearly all the track that Amtrak owns.

The vote was not announced. It was reported on Wednesday in the newsletter of the United Rail Passenger Alliance of Jacksonville, Fla., an organization that has been highly critical of Amtrak management.

The plan, which would require action by Congress, is to transfer the corridor to a consortium including the federal government and the governments of the states in the region that would share the costs to maintain it.

That would relieve Amtrak from spending billions of dollars to build and rebuild bridges, rails and electrical systems, but still let the company run its trains.

The plan would also remove Amtrak from control of that sector, a condition that the railroad's senior executives say would doom high-speed long-distance service. Managers say they have to be able to give their trains priority over local traffic if they have any hope of keeping their schedules.

A large majority of trains in the corridor are shorter-distance commuter trains operated by state agencies in metropolitan regions, although Amtrak trains accrue a majority of the miles traveled.

The four-member board has shown ambivalence to some aspects of the administration's proposal.

On April 21, the chairman, David M. Laney, testified before a Senate committee, "We have concluded for now that the complexities and risks associated with such a split outweigh any benefits."

In a telephone interview on Wednesday, Mr. Laney denied that the vote to make the corridor a separate operating division was a precursor to separating it from Amtrak entirely.

He said it was a way to make the costs clear, for the Northeast corridor, other corridors around the country and for long-distance and transcontinental trains. Such clarity is needed, Mr. Laney said, so Amtrak could ask states for subsidies for operating costs or capital costs, without the states' believing that their money was going to pay for operations in other regions.

"The combination of federal and state support for intercity passenger rail is the only way it's going to be revitalized, in our judgment," Mr. Laney said. "But we've got to be able to deliver numbers to Congress, to the corridor states and the other states where we have operations."

Amtrak supporters saw darker motives in the board's vote. Senator Frank R. Lautenberg, Democrat of New Jersey, one of four main sponsors of a bipartisan bill to shore up the railroad, said separating the corridor was intended to package it for a change in ownership.

"The Bush administration wants to hold a fire sale on Amtrak and dump its best asset, the Northeast Corridor," Mr. Lautenberg said in a statement. "Selling the Northeast corridor is the first step in President Bush's plan to destroy Amtrak and intercity rail service in America."

At the National Association of Railroad Passengers, which lobbies for more subsidies for Amtrak, the executive director, Ross B. Capon, said that separating the corridor into a distinct business entity was a step toward moving it out of Amtrak entirely, but that the move would also have a second effect, insulating the commuter operations in the Northeast from Amtrak troubles. That, Mr. Capon said, would give more leverage to the Transportation Department, which has been leading the charge to close Amtrak or break it up.

"Their dream is an Amtrak crisis where the commuter trains are unaffected and, therefore, the political power behind the protest is that much smaller, and they can go ahead and do whatever they want with or too Amtrak," he said.

A spokesman for the Transportation Department had no comment.

Although the administration has proposed phasing out Amtrak unless major changes are enacted, the House has approved an appropriation of nearly $1.2 billion for the fiscal year that began on Oct. 1, about the same level as the previous year. The Senate may take up the appropriations bill next week. The version passed in committee calls for $1.45 billion.

Let me ask you this…..what the hell is a “transcontinental train”? Is it a train that floats on water?

Over and over again I keep seeing our fine president trying to "derail" Amtrak. The only "reason" I can come up with is strictly neo-con ideaology. There is no other explanation. Saving the paltry 1.2 billion can't be worth all the time and effort that the neo-cons spend trying to bring about their "vision" of America. I am confident that even if passenger rail were to go away the neo cons would find some other 3rd world rat hole to flush it into. Glad to know "we'll stay the course and keep workin' hard" while funds to upgrade, repair and replace our own aging infrastructure (water, roads, rail, schools) continue to be flushed.

Is what we are doing as a country now the best we can do? If so we're in for a world of hurt and Amtrak will be the least of our concerns.

What "problem" would killing Amtrak solve?

tubaallen said:
Let me ask you this…..what the hell is a “transcontinental train”? Is it a train that floats on water?
It would be a train that travels across the continent. The only true "transcontinental" train that Amtrak operated was the Sunset Limited, but of course now that route is cut in half. However, next spring that service could be back (if CSX gets its line rebuilt), and it would once again be a transcontinental train.

Rep. Menendez from New Jersey wrote a letter to Mr. Laney, chairman of the Amtrak Board of Directors about the secret vote taken concerning the break-up of the NEC. It points out better than I can the under-handedness of the vote. I sent a copy of the text to my Rep. in Congress. A copy of the letter was forwarded by the Friends of Amtrak website.

I encourage all that are concerned to contact their Congressmen.

I said it elsewhere; I might as well say it here. Some of you folks are being unduly paranoid about this.

The key word here is finesse. Secretary Mineta wants a paper company to look over the NEC? Fine. Where's the green stuff?

And when we say "green stuff", there needs to be enough of it for the new company to build a complete database with all of the following data:

* Track No.

* First tangent point at track kilometer

* Length of first transition curve

* End of first transition curve and start of main curve

* Radius of main curve

* Superelevation of main curve

* Length of main curve

* End of main curve and start of second transition curve

* Length of second transition curve

* Tangent point in the second transition curve

(with apologies to Hans-Joachim Zierke.)

Furthermore, once we know all of this information, and it's in a database accessible to potential private train operators -- in exchange for more "green stuff", naturally -- what do we do if the potential private train operator says, "This track won't cut it for the type of trains we can run and make a profit."

Will you, Mr. Mineta, fork over more "green stuff" so the tracks are up to standard? Do you, Mr. Mineta, seriously believe Governor Ed Rendell of Pennsylvania has some cash lying around after PennDOT paid for Philadelphia - Harrisburg upgrades? Oh, yes, that's right. Governor Rendell pushed video lottery on Pennsylvanians because the government doesn't have enough cash. Shucks.

Maybe, Mr. Mineta, the mighty fine state of New Jersey might want to fund track improvements? You obviously think Amtrak's old boss George Warrington has some spare cash lying around NJT, right? Oh, that's right. NJT just took over the Clockers, so there's probably no other cash lying around.

That leaves the rest of the NEC -- NY, CT, MA, DE, MD, DC, and VA (these days). None of them is particularly flush with money right now. It's your turn, Mr. Mineta. Have a nice day.

As an Amtrak employee, I don't think we're being paranoid! :angry:

This administration is using Amtrak and it's paltry 1.8 billion dollar request as a "smokescreen" to lure the public away from the real issues and give the impression that they are looking out for the taxpayers dollar! :lol:

When Gunn stated that all Amtrak trains would stop if funding was withheld, Bush capitulated to keep the NEC running! If the NEC is declared as "federal property", Amtrak loses what little bargaining power it has against the government.

I will admit, that most LDT's lose money, but the government knew this at the beginning and created Amtrak. If private enterprise had stepped up at the beginning, Amtrak would have never existed.

This has been in the plans for years, and I'm sure most states will voice their concerns. Even if approved, it would take 3-6 years to implement.

I'd be willing to bet a years pay, that if Amtrak is privatized, that the government will have to get involved again in 4-7 years, like British rail had to a few years ago.

I can't think of any privatization project in a large country that has performed as expected!

Can you? :p

MJ B)

Back