NE regional Business class

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dedhd

Train Attendant
Recently I rode from DC to Boston #66 in business class in a car that had a cafe and about15 leather seats with footrests. Maybe it's me but I found these seats to be a bit uncomfortable sort of like they were designed wrong for the way a back works. Anyone else ? Is this now the normal business class car?

I believe for the most part it is the direction that they're going with Club Cafes (half cafe half business class). A couple of years ago I rode business class on the Downeaster from Portland to Boston North station with the old cloth seats in a club cafe, then later that night rode business class on 67 with the leather seats. I was initially excited because we all think of leather always being more comfortable, but I too didn't find that to be the case. I think the biggest difference is that the cloth seats have better padding. However the leather is definitely easier to clean for them, so I think you'll see more and more of them as time goes by.

I believe for the most part it is the direction that they're going with Club Cafes (half cafe half business class). A couple of years ago I rode business class on the Downeaster from Portland to Boston North station with the old cloth seats in a club cafe, then later that night rode business class on 67 with the leather seats. I was initially excited because we all think of leather always being more comfortable, but I too didn't find that to be the case. I think the biggest difference is that the cloth seats have better padding. However the leather is definitely easier to clean for them, so I think you'll see more and more of them as time goes by.
A friend has told me the new leather Acela seats are so uncomfortable for him -- compared to the old Acela cloth seats -- that he sees no reason to take Acela again, as he finds the seats to be so much more comfortable on Regionals! I was surprised to hear that, but I have yet to try the leather Acela seats myself, so for all I know I'll agree with him....

Last edited by a moderator:
Recently I rode from DC to Boston #66 in business class in a car that had a cafe and about15 leather seats with footrests. Maybe it's me but I found these seats to be a bit uncomfortable sort of like they were designed wrong for the way a back works. Anyone else ? Is this now the normal business class car?
The 2-1 seating is actually not that common the NEC regional business class. I believe they only run the 66 and the 67 standard with those cars. Most business class cars on the NEC have seats that are the same as coach but they might have a footrest and also a bigger pitch (distance between the seat in front of you).

Some business class cars on the NEC are coach cars with a paper sign taped on that says business class :eek:

dedhd,

As mentioned by Amamba the only NEC train that sees that type of business class car is the one that you rode. However, for all other single level trains off the NEC, that is indeed the standard type of car now used by Amtrak for BC.

Those seats, and in fact many of the BC cars of that style, are from former Metroliner First Class service. They had cloth back then, instead of leather, but otherwise were some of the most comfortable seats Amtrak ever had. They are wider than any other seats, have a greater recline that other seats, a foot rest and a calf rest.

Those seats, and in fact many of the BC cars of that style, are from former Metroliner First Class service. They had cloth back then, instead of leather, but otherwise were some of the most comfortable seats Amtrak ever had. They are wider than any other seats, have a greater recline that other seats, a foot rest and a calf rest.
I have road BC on the Regional, but I have never had one of those combination BC and cafe cars, but I have road other routes (Vermonter, etc) in one of those combination BC and cafe cars, and I have to agree with Alan, they are some of the most comfortable seats on-board any Amtrak car.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only time I've rode in that car on a Regional was on Christmas Day when they pulled out all stops and used whatever cars they had for the extra heavy crowds. AND I WAS IN COACH! :cool: I agree that they are very comfortable, much more so than the "regular" BC cars used on the Regionals.

Back in December I was booked in Coach with the hopes to Upgrade at the station or on-board. BC was sold out so I was stuck in coach. On the way back I had a Coach ticket but I got lucky and a BC car was filling in for a Coach cars. I agree with the_traveler that the seats in coach are so much more comfortable then the BC cars. But as for the Club/Cafe cars. I also agree that they are some of the most comfortable seats on Amtrak equipment.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back