NE Regional vs Silver Star

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

user 6862

Engineer
Looking at travelling from Richmond, VA to NYP next October, is there an advantage to using the 94 NE Regional 94 over the 92 Silver Star? We will have carry on baggage plus one medium sized 45 pound case if that makes a difference, have seen that the 92 SS has checked baggage.

There are enough trains during the day to give us a choice but I suspect the NE Regional trains are commuter trains as against LD trains that Amtrak run, but don't really know that for sure.

Thank you

If the Fare isn't too much (if any) higher go for the Star! You will get more comfortable seats (at the risk of stinky toilets) as the Star carries Amfleet 2 Long Haul Coaches with more legroom. And I believe fewer stops along the way. If you do not mind a super early call at Richmond, you might even consider the Meteor as then you will also have the option to take on Breakfast in the Diner.

Heading north I always take a Regional train, predominately the ones that originate in RVR. They are more reliably on time for departure. Heading south from NYP I prefer one of the Silvers because of the legroom.

Heading north I always take a Regional train, predominately the ones that originate in RVR. They are more reliably on time for departure. Heading south from NYP I prefer one of the Silvers because of the legroom.
I agree with Big Iron. Although 94 isn't known for its stellar OTP, it still has less railroad to cover prior to reaching RVR. Unless it is a Friday or Sunday, I'd stick with 94.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back