Nearby in LA

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dedhd

Train Attendant
Okay you guys were very helpful in the chicago area....How bout the origin of the SWC... anything nearby walking distance to do or see, eat,shop,etc..???

Okay you guys were very helpful in the chicago area....How bout the origin of the SWC... anything nearby walking distance to do or see, eat,shop,etc..???
I will get this thread started by saying that it is a no brainer to choose Philippes as your place to eat. It is across the street from LA Union station. I first walked into this establishment in 1978 and have been hooked ever since. Unfortunately living in the east coast I only have the opportunity once a year to get my fix there. They only take cash by the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will get this thread started by saying that it is a no brainer to choose Philippes as your place to eat. It is across the street from LA Union station. I first walked into this establishment in 1978 and have been hooked ever since. Unfortunately living in the east coast I only have the opportunity once a year to get my fix there. They only take cash by the way.
DITTO: I first heard about Philippes on this thread a few years ago too, went once. Then last month while in LA for three days, I went twice, took some friends, and they ABSOLUTELY loved the place, and the food, too.

Olvera Street directly out the front doors of Amtrak's LA station will also afford you plenty of Mexican food and tourist shops. (my 11 year-old kids loved it)

LAUS is surrounded by "Chinatown", Olvera Street (the site where LA was established), a faux Mexican Village with some interesting old Buildings and recreations of a typical rich Patrons cabin, schlocky gift shops and pretty fair Mexican Resturants! As was said, Philippes if right in the middle of this, and if you want to hop on the Subway, right in the station, there is the Angel Flight Tramway close to Pershing Square a few blocks away, tons of interesting old buildings around "Downtown" and a really neat "International" type Market as well as the "Garment District".Use Google and check this topic on this Forum, lots of info! Dont forget to look around this Gem of a Station either, IMO it's the prettiest one still used as a LD Train Station! :wub: (since GCT is now only a commuter hub!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Olvera Street, whilst a major tourist trap, is still worth a walk through and save some appetite for the neat little Taquito joint at the north end, across from the Metro Plaza Hotel.

Angels Flight is closed indefinitely as of a couple weeks ago, but the 2 cars are parked middle of the tram and you can still walk up the stairs alongside.

And if you are a Dragnet fan, old Parker Center and the LA City Hall are a short walk away just south of the 101.

Is this the place??

Philippes.jpg

Some AU'ers eat the hero sandwiches for breakfast!! Right Eric & Joe.

Is this the place??

Philippes.jpg

Some AU'ers eat the hero sandwiches for breakfast!! Right Eric & Joe.
All right that does it, time to plan another trip to Vegas (the long way via LAX) and have breakfast at Phillipe's. :lol: A double dipped roast beef :p laced with their famous hot mustard and a beer :D ! Oh, I also need to replenish Eric's mustard supply.

Back on topic, a quick ride on the red line will take you out to Hollywood. Look at the stars in the sidewalk and the foot and hand prints in front of the theater.

LAUS is surrounded by "Chinatown", Olvera Street (the site where LA was established), a faux Mexican Village with some interesting old Buildings and recreations of a typical rich Patrons cabin, schlocky gift shops and pretty fair Mexican Resturants! As was said, Philippes if right in the middle of this, and if you want to hop on the Subway, right in the station, there is the Angel Flight Tramway close to Pershing Square a few blocks away, tons of interesting old buildings around "Downtown" and a really neat "International" type Market as well as the "Garment District".Use Google and check this topic on this Forum, lots of info! Dont forget to look around this Gem of a Station either, IMO it's the prettiest one still used as a LD Train Station! :wub: (since GCT is now only a commuter hub!)
While it is a tourist trap, it it far from faux. This is where Los Angeles started and many of the bulldings are original. Check this for more info.

There's the Los Angeles Cathedral if you like .."modern" architecture. The Original Pantry, open continuously for a jillion years is just a short subway ride away (near 9th and Figueroa), Angel's Flight (once it reopens http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012/01/angels-flight-closed-for-maintenance-might-reopen-with-increased-fare.html), Dodger Stadium if you are there in baseball season and much more. Just depends on what you want to see and how much time you have. If you did want to take the subway to some of the places that are more than a short walk away, you just do downstairs from LAUS and catch the red or purple line (same line for the first few miles). You wouldn't be too far from Japan town where there is a museum.

Dan

Thanks a bunch will definitely check out Phillipes and Alameda st, and yes this is a roundabout return to the east coast from Las Vegas- really can't understand why Amtrak wouldn't add this route......it would be a full train most of the time I'd bet!

As a historical note, much of the original LA Chinatown was unceremoniously demolished in the late 1930s and the land used for today's Los Angeles Union Station. Back then there was no concern about eradicating swathes of residential/small business areas for corporate concerns i.e. the UP, SP and Santa Fe at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back