NEC Trip Planning Help

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rail Freak

Engineer
Since I've never been north of WAS on Amtrak & want to see the North East, I've been racking my brain trying to figure out the best way to do it. The trip I've planned so far leaves out a lot of the NE, so I decided to ask the AU Experts.

My tentative plans:

STP-FED

FED-PRK-Ferry -ESX

ESX-BOS ( have friends to stay with in BOS, but may want to stay overnite elsewhere so not to arrive so late for thier sake & be able to see more in day lite!)

BOS-POR-BOS

BOS-STP

This doesnt include maybe going to BUF or NFL, so looking for advice.

Thanx :eek:hboy:

I definitely agree with the downeaster run. That is a great little train and Portland, Maine is a fun train. I think the BC upgrade on that route is perhaps the best value on amtrak. I think it is only $8 for the 2/1 seating in the half cafe/half BC car.

You asked the right person - for more then 1 reason!
laugh.gif
FED was my "home station" when I was growing up.
cool.gif

1. STP-FED = You would leave on a Thruway at 10:05 AM connecting to a Silver in Orlando to New York and then to the Ethan Allen and arrive FED at 7:13 PM the following night. Do you have a place to stay or (forgive my tourism denial) a reason to go there?
huh.gif
FED is unstaffed, and not easily reached without a car. There is a shuttle to Glens Falls and Lake George, but I don't know the times or where they go. A taxi is also hard to get from FED.

2. FED-PRK (Ferry)-ESX = You would depart at 12:19 PM and arrive at 2:48 PM that afternoon. The tracks are up a hill from the ferry docks, so the walk is downhill along a road. (The "station" is right at the dock - that road is how the cars get to the dock.) Be aware that the Ferry goes to downtown Burlington, and the station is in Essex, VT. But I believe there is buses to it.

3. ESX-BOS = I hate to say it, but you can't easily "get there from here"!
ohmy.gif
There is only 1 early departure from ESX, and if you switch in Springfield, (assuming the LSL is on time) you arrive in BOS after 9 PM. If you switch in New Haven, you do not arrive until about 11 PM!

4. Boston-POR-Boston = No real problem, but be aware that the Downeaster departs and arrives from North Station (BON), while all other Amtrak trains go to South Station (BOS)!

5. BOS-STP = No problem at all.

laugh.gif
cool.gif

1. STP-FED = You would leave on a Thruway at 10:05 AM connecting to a Silver in Orlando to New York and then to the Ethan Allen and arrive FED at 7:13 PM the following night. Do you have a place to stay or (forgive my tourism denial) a reason to go there?
huh.gif
FED is unstaffed, and not easily reached without a car. There is a shuttle to Glens Falls and Lake George, but I don't know the times or where they go. A taxi is also hard to get from FED.

2. FED-PRK (Ferry)-ESX = You would depart at 12:19 PM and arrive at 2:48 PM that afternoon. The tracks are up a hill from the ferry docks, so the walk is downhill along a road. (The "station" is right at the dock - that road is how the cars get to the dock.) Be aware that the Ferry goes to downtown Burlington, and the station is in Essex, VT. But I believe there is buses to it.

ohmy.gif
There is only 1 early departure from ESX, and if you switch in Springfield, (assuming the LSL is on time) you arrive in BOS after 9 PM. If you switch in New Haven, you do not arrive until about 11 PM!

4. Boston-POR-Boston = No real problem, but be aware that the Downeaster departs and arrives from North Station (BON), while all other Amtrak trains go to South Station (BOS)!

Well, I could stop in SAR to overcome that 1st obstacle. I called the Ferry operators & they told me there are taxis to ESX??? And I was thinking of maybe overniting east of BOS since there are many North East Regionals that next day which would get me into BOS at a more reasonable hour? Sounding like it might work out fine? What do ya think?

laugh.gif
cool.gif

When are you planning on going on this trip? Due to flooding, the start of the ferry may be postponed. It usually starts in mid-June. I'm pretty hopeful that the ferry will be able to start on time. But you may want to wait until late June/early July to be sure! See www.ferries.com for more info.

There is indeed a bus to the Essex Jct station (actually, there are two different routes that connect downtown and Amtrak). From downtown, I'd take the #2 Essex Jct. This bus runs Monday-Saturday. The 8:15 bus from Cherry St will get you there in time for the train. If you were staying out in S Burlington/Williston Rd area, you could take the 1E bus, which also runs Monday-Saturday (this line operates on Sunday, but doesn't go as far as Amtrak).

Bus schedules are here:

http://cctaride.org/bus-information/routes-schedules.html

Let me know if you need any help with this part of the trip, I'd be happy to point you in the right direction!

Well, I could stop in SAR to overcome that 1st obstacle. I called the Ferry operators & they told me there are taxis to ESX??? And I was thinking of maybe overniting east of BOS since there are many North East Regionals that next day which would get me into BOS at a more reasonable hour? Sounding like it might work out fine? What do ya think?
Yes, there are plenty of cabs around downtown Burlington.

If you're going to call one, I recommend Green Cab (802-316-0700). They have the best rates of any company in town.

laugh.gif
cool.gif

huh.gif

ohmy.gif

Shoot for 190, 170, or 172 they are the only NE Regional trains that start in WAS heading to Boston. The other being 178 which arrives into BOS after 12am! :eek: The others come from VA and depending on time of year could be late, especially during the summer. They generally run on-time but it's not worth taking the chance IMO if you have somewhere you have to be or make a connection.

Thanx everyone! I'm looking at the fall of 2011 or summer of 2012! If any one has tips just PM me & I'll write the tips down. I'm 99.9 % sure that I'll be doing this!!!

Thanx Again,

RF

Keep in mind that if you do this trip in the fall it might be packed with tourists in VT. But chilly in the New England area also. But during the summer it can get pretty hot up in New England and also full of tourists. So both times of year are peak for tourism.

About 12 years ago, my ex-husband and I did a trip up to upstate NY and Vermont. We left Orlando the day before Labor Day, spent Labor Day in NY, then continued our trip. Because we went after Labor Day and before the peak leaf season, we got great hotel deals. We paid about $200 a night less for our hotel room in Lake George than we would have the previous week.

I highly recommend taking the Adirondack if it works into your schedule. The scenery is magnificent.

Last edited by a moderator:
And I was thinking of maybe overniting east of BOS since there are many North East Regionals that next day which would get me into BOS at a more reasonable hour? Sounding like it might work out fine? What do ya think?
Unless you're a fish, I don't think it will work!
mosking.gif
EAST of Boston is Cape Cod Bay! The LSL comes in from the west, and all the Regionals come in from the south.

If you're thinking about coming in the fall, you may want to wait to see what dates days the dome car will run on the Adirondack. It would be a shame to miss the dome by a day if you're making the trip all the way up here!

When you get closer to booking, don't hesitate to send me a PM if you need any recommendations for Burlington. I've lived here for six years and work for the transit agency in Burlington, so I'd be happy to point you to the right place or to the right bus!

And I was thinking of maybe overniting east of BOS since there are many North East Regionals that next day which would get me into BOS at a more reasonable hour? Sounding like it might work out fine? What do ya think?
Unless you're a fish, I don't think it will work!
mosking.gif
EAST of Boston is Cape Cod Bay! The LSL comes in from the west, and all the Regionals come in from the south.

OOPS! West of Boston. Thanx, My friends actually live on the Cape.

If you're thinking about coming in the fall, you may want to wait to see what dates days the dome car will run on the Adirondack. It would be a shame to miss the dome by a day if you're making the trip all the way up here!

When you get closer to booking, don't hesitate to send me a PM if you need any recommendations for Burlington. I've lived here for six years and work for the transit agency in Burlington, so I'd be happy to point you to the right place or to the right bus!
Thanx, I'm sure I'll be in touch! :giggle:

They live in Sandwich, how long of a drive is it from there to PVD?
I've only been there once, but I-195 starts right in Providence (near the train station) and goes right to the Cape. I'm only guessing, but maybe 1 1/2 hours. From Boston, it involves staying on the train another 45 minutes or so, fighting Boston traffic ("Rush Hour" is 24 hours per day), and then driving over 2 hours!

They live in Sandwich, how long of a drive is it from there to PVD?
I've only been there once, but I-195 starts right in Providence (near the train station) and goes right to the Cape. I'm only guessing, but maybe 1 1/2 hours. From Boston, it involves staying on the train another 45 minutes or so, fighting Boston traffic ("Rush Hour" is 24 hours per day), and then driving over 2 hours!
What about Rte 128?

What about Rte 128?
The Route 128 station is (of course) just of Route 128. But for IIRC 1-2 miles east, it is also I-95. Past that for 5-10 miles, Route 128 is also I-93. Then it splits towards the Cape to Route 3. All 3 of these are major roads with heavy traffic. And during rush hour and/or during summer, it's a whole lot worse!
ohmy.gif

PVD is the closest amtrak stop to Sandwich, MA. Sandwich is right at the start of the Cape - it will take you about an hour to 90 minutes to get there from Providence. It will take you much longer to get there from Boston or from the 128 station. The problem with the 128 station is that to get to the cape you need to take a different highway, so you still have to take the heavily trafficked route 128 over to 93 to get to sandwich. It is a complete cluster...

You will have to transfer in BOS to the commuter rail/MBCR to Plymouth. You can check the schedules at www.mbta.com. The only issue with luggage is that there won't be a luggage rack at the end of the car - but there is a narrow overhead rack that you can put all your stuff up on. Depending on what time of day you are traveling, it can be a very busy/full train. Think three people squished into three seaters and two people squished into two seaters. The aisles are pretty narrow, too. If you get the double decker train there are somtimes single seats at the end of the car and on the mid level near the doors. If you snagged one of those seats then you could keep your luggage right next to you.

Bonus, though, the MBTA train should be equipped with wifi.

You will have to transfer in BOS to the commuter rail/MBCR to Plymouth. You can check the schedules at www.mbta.com. The only issue with luggage is that there won't be a luggage rack at the end of the car - but there is a narrow overhead rack that you can put all your stuff up on. Depending on what time of day you are traveling, it can be a very busy/full train. Think three people squished into three seaters and two people squished into two seaters. The aisles are pretty narrow, too. If you get the double decker train there are somtimes single seats at the end of the car and on the mid level near the doors. If you snagged one of those seats then you could keep your luggage right next to you.

Bonus, though, the MBTA train should be equipped with wifi.

What is the difference between MBCR & MBTA?

Oh, well it is kind of confusing. The MBTA (massachusetts bay transit authority) contracts with the MBCR (massachusetts bay commuter railroad) to run the commuter rail. So its an MBTA sevice that is operated by the MBCR. For all intents and purposes, most people just call it the commuter rail, as opposed to the "T" which mostly refers to the subway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back