NEC

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BLOND37

OBS Chief
i cant even imagine how much money amtrak is losing since they cant do NEC trains... shaking my head..

It was nice to hear one NER zip by behind my work and see another zip by while I was out for my lunch time walk.

From what I can observe, probably the worse is electric power. The power system and power lines in the Mid-Atlantic area has been severely crippled. For the NEC, Amtrak needs electric power.

I drive to work in the morning, and it is eerily dark. Even all the traffic signals are dark. And too many people seem to think that you don't even have to slow down for intersections when the signals are dark. You can stop, and LOOK real carefully, but there is always that guy/gal doing 80+mph from the left or right.

At the present time Amtrak has no problem with catenary power through NJ on the NEC. Their supply points have not much to do with where your local streets and houses get supplied from. Different substations different feeds.

(null)

It looks like the biggest problem is water in the Hudson tunnels and Penn station. God only knows how long it will take to fix that and replace any electrical systems damaged by the salt water.

Does anyone know though why they are not running trains on the northern half of the NEC the same way they are doing on the southern half (up to but not including NYP). Is it just because all the equipment is stuck on the other side, or does the track in that area need actual work.

Does anyone know though why they are not running trains on the northern half of the NEC the same way they are doing on the southern half (up to but not including NYP). Is it just because all the equipment is stuck on the other side, or does the track in that area need actual work.
Trogdor noted that Amtrak hopes to perhaps restore service as far south as New Haven from Boston, or at least will be in a position to restore service to there by late tonight, or early tomorrow.

However, from there on Metro North is in big trouble. They have no service from New Haven to Grand Central. Therefore Amtrak cannot provide service either. And it sounds like they have major problems between New Haven & Stamford. I've seen a few reports that hint that they may be able to restore service between Stamford and Grand Central by tomorrow morning, but this is not yet confirmed.

But there is no talk of them restoring service between New Haven & Stamford at all.

Seems like Metro North may also be able to restore service to the full length of the Harlem line at some point tomorrow. Right now that is the only line operating at all, but only from Grand Central to North White Plains. Things don't look good at all for any service on the Hudson line for tomorrow.

for what its worth i read that the peter pan bus is running to from NYC and PVD.. sadly tho i would need PATH to be running :(

i know we don't know anything until we know anything but i have a trip scheduled for next monday 11-5.. PVD to NYP, RT.. wonder if it'll be up and running by then.. or should i just cancel..

prolly old news...

October 31, 2012

4:15 p.m. ET

Amtrak will provide modified Northeast Regional service between Boston and New Haven, Conn., and between Newark, N.J., and points south, on Thursday, November 1. Amtrak will also operate Shuttle service trains between Springfield, Mass., and New Haven, Keystone Service trains between Harrisburg, Penn., and Philadelphia, and Downeaster service trains between Boston and Portland, Maine, along with additional overnight services to and from the Northeast.

Amtrak is continuing to remove water from tunnels in order to make repairs to track, signal and power systems under the Hudson and East rivers and to restore service to and from Penn Station in New York City. Amtrak is planning to operate modified service to and from New York City on Friday, November 2, with schedules to be announced on Thursday, November 1.

In the meantime, there will be no Northeast Regional service between Newark and New Haven and no Acela Express service for the length of the Northeast Corridor on Thursday, November 1.

i know we don't know anything until we know anything but i have a trip scheduled for next monday 11-5.. PVD to NYP, RT.. wonder if it'll be up and running by then.. or should i just cancel..
To early to say absolutely, but the odds are pretty good that there will be at least some service by then. May not be normal service, but there should be some service.

MNRR will run regular schedule between Stamford and Grand Central tomorrow. Problems still remain between Stamford and New Haven.

I have no clue why NJT is not planning to run any NEC service tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back