Need Information - Miami Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Everydaymatters

Engineer
I've been trying to find how far it is from the Miami Amtrak station to a hotel. When I put in the Amtrak station address from the system time table, it comes up with a different address in Ft. Lauderdale. One time it even came up with a Naval Station.

Have they moved the Miami Station since the Fall 2010/Winter 2011 timetable???

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope, the Miami station is in the same place its always been. Which is to say, no place. It's kind of out in an area west of downtown Miami and semi residential, semi-business area. One pretty much needs to take a taxi to get anywhere.

Betty: Alan beat me to it! Google up the USA RailGuide, it has info/pics etc. on every Amtrak Station in the US. And there is a Bus that runs from the Station over to Miami Beach,

but Alan is right (as usual) you'd want to take a Taxi to your hotel, Liberty City and the Seamier Parts of Miami are not far away.

You might want to stay in Hollywood or even Ft. Lauderdale if riding a Silver Train down to the Miami Area,they get there earlier and the Hotels and Beaches are Closer to the Stations also! All the Cruise Ship docks are over to the East on the Coast and lots of reasonable Hotels/Motels in that area also!

Try Kayak.com and look up Hotels close to the Stations, should give you an idea! (South Beach and Key Biscane are probably out of our Budget range anyway! ^_^ )

If you are real adventurous you can do the .5 mile walk from the Miami Amtrak Station (which is actually inside CSX's Hialeah Yard) to the 79th Street Tri-Rail/Metrorail station. Its probably not wise when carrying luggage since Hialeah is not the safest neighborhood…though I have done the walk from the Tri-Rail station to Amtrak station with a friend and without any problems.

Amtrak.com has the Miami Station address as:

8303 NW 37th Ave

Miami, FL 33147

and Google Maps does bring up the proper location.

If you are real adventurous you can do the .5 mile walk from the Miami Amtrak Station (which is actually inside CSX's Hialeah Yard) to the 79th Street Tri-Rail/Metrorail station. Its probably not wise when carrying luggage since Hialeah is not the safest neighborhood…though I have done the walk from the Tri-Rail station to Amtrak station with a friend and without any problems.

Amtrak.com has the Miami Station address as:

8303 NW 37th Ave

Miami, FL 33147

and Google Maps does bring up the proper location.
I, too, have done the walk from Metrorail with luggage. I agree, not the safest place in the world, but it can be done and I wouldn't think twice about doing it again. But then again, I generally have a higher tolerance than most for traversing through less-than-safe areas.

Betty;If you've ever gotten off in Alpine, Schriever or Sanderson you're pretty much on your own; Miami is not much better considering the size of the city east of the station.. I went to Miami to visit a friend in Key Biscayne when the Sunset ran all the way (about 15 years ago.) After the train unloaded the station was shut down and all the lights were turned off. Talk about butterflies flying around in my stomach~ I had told my friend to pick me up at the wrong time; my watch was still on Central time and he came and left when I didn't show the first time.BTW, they have a very nice first class lounge there that not too many pax know about. Ouch... :help:

I was just there in June and they were doing remodeling. The first class lounge is no more and is being turned into offices. They now take the first class passengers to the 2nd floor and are seated in an area overlooking the 1st floor.

I asked one of the workers why they were building offices when the station is supposed to move to the airport soon. He had a two part answer: 1. They moved all the crew stationed in Jacksonville, FL to Miami and needed offices for them. 2. The new station at the airport was built with commuter trains in mind and the platform is not long enough for the silver trains, so until they lengthen it the Amtrak station will remain where it is.

The Jacksonville comment really made me feel like Amtrak has absolutely no intentions of restoring the Sunset Limited service there.

2. The new station at the airport was built with commuter trains in mind and the platform is not long enough for the silver trains, so until they lengthen it the Amtrak station will remain where it is.
- and that sort of stupid lack of simple coordination gives you headache. So how many decades do we guess it will take to get the platforms at the airport station lengthened? :blink:

Uh oh...I never thought about this...how safe is the station. Those who know me know I'm not capable of running any marathons and will probably be the last one off the train. Will taxis be there? As in a lot of taxis?

Betty;If you've ever gotten off in Alpine, Schriever or Sanderson you're pretty much on your own; Miami is not much better considering the size of the city east of the station.. I went to Miami to visit a friend in Key Biscayne when the Sunset ran all the way (about 15 years ago.) After the train unloaded the station was shut down and all the lights were turned off. Talk about butterflies flying around in my stomach~ I had told my friend to pick me up at the wrong time; my watch was still on Central time and he came and left when I didn't show the first time.BTW, they have a very nice first class lounge there that not too many pax know about. Ouch... :help:
DID have a nice lounge....another one bites the dust!

Uh oh...I never thought about this...how safe is the station. Those who know me know I'm not capable of running any marathons and will probably be the last one off the train. Will taxis be there? As in a lot of taxis?
The station itself seemed very safe to me. It was well staffed and the immediate area in the parking lot was well supervised and safe. I've only departed from the station, so I'm not sure how many taxis are usually there but undoubtably the station staff can call one for you. They were very helpful when I was there earlier this year.

I wouldn't worry about the safety of the station, I just wouldn't wander away from it on foot.

2. The new station at the airport was built with commuter trains in mind and the platform is not long enough for the silver trains, so until they lengthen it the Amtrak station will remain where it is.
- and that sort of stupid lack of simple coordination gives you headache. So how many decades do we guess it will take to get the platforms at the airport station lengthened? :blink:
I was curious about the platform length, so I did a search and according to a Tiger grant application document I found for the Miami Intermodal Station, the two platforms will be 1,035 feet long with a 800 foot long overhead canopy. This is consistent with the drawings of what the station will look like at the Miami Intermodel Center website. If they have not changed the plans and I don't see why they would, 1,035 feet is long enough to accommodate an Amtrak LD train. There are multiple documents and references stating that Amtrak will be moving to the Miami Intermodal Center station after it is ready.

The construction schedule information on the MIC website http://www.micdot.com/miami_central_station.html shows construction started in May 2011 with the new station being completed in 2013; I see September 2013 in one place as the final completion date. The advantages of the new intermodal station are many for the Amtrak passengers: direct access to the Miami metro line, airport rental car facility (albeit at airport rates), new shiny station, and for Amtrak higher visibility to attract additional ridership. The operational disadvantages are the equipment moves back up the tracks for servicing which is probably what is not going over well with the Amtrak staff there.

The OP complaining about platform length is confusing the station that was originally built for Tri-Rail, with the new MIC that is in the process of being built now. His complaint regarding platform length is out of date, or will be once MIC is put into service as afigg rightly says above. There will also be a Miami Metro connection AFAIU. The structures for it are more or less already in place the last time I was by Miami International Airport a few months back.

Sounds like he didn't know what he was talking about. Still sad to see the lounge get converted to office space.

There are generally a good number of taxis waiting in line at the Miami station, even when the arrivals are late.
I can vouch for that; plenty of taxis. The station is safe but I wouldn't wander too far. The general neighborhood where the station is located is pretty crappy.

I too was told that Amtrak had no plans to move to MIC, yet FDOT wants to blame Amtrak for MIC's latest problem.
Why would they not want to move? The current station is in a bad location and pretty beaten up. I guess MIC wouldnt let them bring the goat?

Moving to the airport will get them a lot more notice. I'm sure there are plenty of people in Miami who don't even know train service is available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back