NEVER GIVE UP

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ThayerATM

OBS Chief
We had to make last minute reservations to travel from ROC (Rochester NY) to FMD (Fort Madison IA), then back. When I made the original reservations there was no bedroom available from ROC to CHI so I settled for a roomette on that leg.

Tonight I called Amtrak, just in case a bedroom had become available. IT HAD.

We now have all new tickets for the entire trip, all charged to my new Guest Rewards Mastercard, and I nailed the 6000 bonus points for the first purchase on the new card. Now I have to figure out a way to get to sleep tonight. Things are going too well. <_<

I have done the exact opposite. I once settled for a bedroom and then a roomette opened up so I swapped out. I think I also probably "nailed" my AGR Mastercard bonus with something like a coke.

We had to make last minute reservations to travel from ROC (Rochester NY) to FMD (Fort Madison IA), then back. When I made the original reservations there was no bedroom available from ROC to CHI so I settled for a roomette on that leg. Tonight I called Amtrak, just in case a bedroom had become available. IT HAD.

We now have all new tickets for the entire trip, all charged to my new Guest Rewards Mastercard, and I nailed the 6000 bonus points for the first purchase on the new card. Now I have to figure out a way to get to sleep tonight. Things are going too well. <_<
That's great to hear! How much more did the bedroom cost?

We had to make last minute reservations to travel from ROC (Rochester NY) to FMD (Fort Madison IA), then back. When I made the original reservations there was no bedroom available from ROC to CHI so I settled for a roomette on that leg. Tonight I called Amtrak, just in case a bedroom had become available. IT HAD.

$281.20

Looks to be about middle bucket 'cuz booking the same rooms 11 months out the difference is $245. I wish we were on train 49 (NY end) rather than 449 (Boston) end. It's a six car journey to the diner for breakfast in the morning. ;) Amtrak offered bedrooms on trains 3 & 4, but I declined as those legs (CHI-FMD) are only about three hours, and during the daytime. We won't be in the room that much during the daytime. Just long enough to get settled and then get to the lounge car and the diner.

$281.20

Looks to be about middle bucket 'cuz booking the same rooms 11 months out the difference is $245. I wish we were on train 49 (NY end) rather than 449 (Boston) end. It's a six car journey to the diner for breakfast in the morning. ;) Amtrak offered bedrooms on trains 3 & 4, but I declined as those legs (CHI-FMD) are only about three hours, and during the daytime. We won't be in the room that much during the daytime. Just long enough to get settled and then get to the lounge car and the diner.
Not bad, not bad at all! It doesn't hurt to keep checking prices!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back