New 1 zone Columbus loophole discovered

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigBlueBuddha

Service Attendant
This only goes in one direction though:

3 Southwest Chief: Albuquerque, NM (ABQ) --> Los Angeles, CA (LAX) (16h 30m)

--2h layover--

14 Coast Starlight: Los Angeles, CA (LAX) --> Portland, OR (PDX) (29h 25m)

--65m layover--

28 Empire Builder: Portland, OR (PDX) --> Columbus, WI (CBS) (42h 12m)

88h 7m total train time, not bad. :p

I can't close the circle without spending a night in Chicago though, because the Empire Builder --> Hiawatha --> Southwest Chief connections don't work.

EDIT: actually can do this, didn't see it in my original excitement: :lol:

3 Southwest Chief: Kansas City, MO (KCY) --> Los Angeles, CA (LAX) (35h 20m)

--2 h layover--

14 Coast Starlight: Los Angeles, CA (LAX) --> Portland, OR (PDX) (29h 25m)

--65 m layover--

28 Empire Builder: Portland, OR (PDX) --> Columbus, WI (CBS) (42h 12m)

106h 57m total train time, even better! :p :p

You can pick up the Chief anywhere between KCY and ABQ and get the loophole.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reliable sources tell me that the_traveler is planning a trip from KCY to CBS as we speak!

m03131.gif

Reliable sources tell me that the_traveler is planning a trip from KCY to CBS as we speak!
m03131.gif
I may have to beat him to it as KCY is "only" a 5 hour drive for me and I can use that as an excuse to visit family in Chicago and then "slow boat" back to KCY on the Lincoln Service/Missouri River Runner. By then I'll be so tired of trains I won't want to look at one until I get back home :)

m03131.gif
I may have to beat him to it as KCY is "only" a 5 hour drive for me and I can use that as an excuse to visit family in Chicago and then "slow boat" back to KCY on the Lincoln Service/Missouri River Runner. By then I'll be so tired of trains I won't want to look at one until I get back home :)
What about the overnight bus from OKL-KCY so you dont have to park? I understand its rough, Im planning this trip (eventually! :lol: ) but will go Aus-STL-KCY and catch the SWC for LAX there! If they ever run the Heartland Flyer to KCY sure would be an easier trip for us for sure!

Back