New Amtrak route in IL?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://abclocal.go.c...nois&id=8509654

So they are building a new Amtrak station in Rockford, anyone got more info about this new route? Who owns the track and whats the estimated ridership?
This line will be part of the restored "Black Hawk" service with stops in Chicago, South Elgin, Genoa, Rockford, Freeport, Galena and Dubuque. This site has a Google Map route map and other info - http://members.trainorders.com/dr04/BlackHawk/

The line will run on Canadian National (CN) completely after departing Amtrak property south of Chicago Union Station. This is the old Illinois Central route. They are estimating 76,000 passengers every year.

I hope not to sound too "railfan-ish", but a train with a name like 'Black Hawk' should never have gone down. Hope it comes back a rising Pheonix!

Amfleet or Superlines for this route?
Presumably the plan is to use the new corridor bi-level cars. However, if the route starts up in 2014 when the bi-levels have just started to be delivered, the service will probably start with whatever Amtrak has available, likely Horizons or Amfleets.

The other new route service in IL, Chicago to Quad Cities (and to Iowa City TBD), also projected for a 2104 start, was funded for rolling stock purchases in the FY10 grant award. That route will be getting bi-levels when they are available.

The state of IL has dedicated $60 million in state funding for construction. Ongoing operating subsidies for this service (as well as the Chicago-Moline service) will be the responsibility of IL as well. Not sure what the status is of the Dubuque station (whether the state of IA or CIty of Dubuque will fund its construction or, if reusing an existing one, its rehabilitation.)

I assume new routes are funded by Illinois state.
The Chicago to Rockford corridor is indeed being funded by Illinois. May be some federal funding mixed in, but it is mostly state funding AFAIK.

The Chicago to Quad Cities corridor service, which may still go to Iowa City if the Iowa Governor & legislature go ahead with their part of the project, is funded by a federal $177 million FY10 HSIPR grant plus a 20% state match. The total award was $230 million, but the Illinois portion of it, including the funds for equipment purchases, was split off and obligated for $177 million.

That's going to be an interesting ride out of Chicago. Practically all new trackage for me. It will be nice to have two new routes for day trips our of Chicago. And and new equipment too.

That's going to be an interesting ride out of Chicago. Practically all new trackage for me. It will be nice to have two new routes for day trips our of Chicago. And and new equipment too.
But will it use one of the Metra line tracks to get out of Chicago and will it make any stops at current Metra stations aside from CUS.

But will it use one of the Metra line tracks to get out of Chicago and will it make any stops at current Metra stations aside from CUS.
No, it will use the Canadian National/ former IC route. There's no commuter service on this line.

No I don't think so. The train travels to 21st street and follows stl line for a bit, and then makes a diagonal path through Chicago and the western suburbs. This I believe is the route of the black hawk. It does not follow any current Metra line. Maybe a new station will be built.

The state of IL has dedicated $60 million in state funding for construction. Ongoing operating subsidies for this service (as well as the Chicago-Moline service) will be the responsibility of IL as well. Not sure what the status is of the Dubuque station (whether the state of IA or CIty of Dubuque will fund its construction or, if reusing an existing one, its rehabilitation.)
Dubuque was awarded 8 million in October to build a new intermodal transit center on the site of their old station. So there will be a nice station waiting for passengers when this route starts up.

Amfleet or Superlines for this route?
Presumably the plan is to use the new corridor bi-level cars. However, if the route starts up in 2014 when the bi-levels have just started to be delivered, the service will probably start with whatever Amtrak has available, likely Horizons or Amfleets.

The other new route service in IL, Chicago to Quad Cities (and to Iowa City TBD), also projected for a 2104 start, was funded for rolling stock purchases in the FY10 grant award. That route will be getting bi-levels when they are available.
My, we're optimistic about that project timetable, aren't we? :p

Or maybe they are padding the project schedule, so that no matter what, for the rest of their careers, they can never be accused of being behind schedule. Hey, we said by 2104, right? :lol:

Or maybe they are padding the project schedule, so that no matter what, for the rest of their careers, they can never be accused of being behind schedule. Hey, we said by 2104, right? :lol:
So will there be a big uproar if the timetable slips to 2106?

So will there be a big uproar if the timetable slips to 2106?
There will be a major conflagration at AU with a sight shutdown for a day in protest :) :p

Came across a 35 page viewgraph presentation at the IDOT Chicago to St. Louis HSR website which provides an overview of all the funded HSIPR projects in Illinois, not just CHI-STL. Has slides on the Chicago to Quad Cities and Chicago to Dubuque services starting at slide 23.

Info from it: the projected start date for the Chicago to Quad Cities service is 3rd Quarter of 2015 (which is beter than 2104!) with an estimated run time of 3:22. Chicago to Dubuque service projected start date is 4th Quarter of 2014 with an estimated run time of 5:10.

Came across a 35 page viewgraph presentation at the IDOT Chicago to St. Louis HSR website which provides an overview of all the funded HSIPR projects in Illinois, not just CHI-STL. Has slides on the Chicago to Quad Cities and Chicago to Dubuque services starting at slide 23.

Info from it: the projected start date for the Chicago to Quad Cities service is 3rd Quarter of 2015 (which is beter than 2104!) with an estimated run time of 3:22. Chicago to Dubuque service projected start date is 4th Quarter of 2014 with an estimated run time of 5:10.
Five hours from Chicago to Dubuque? Ouch. I've done that drive and even if you go the long way via Savanna it's 3 1/2 hours. The direct way via Rockford and US-20 it's more like 3:20. The Chicago-Moline time seems much more reasonable. Is this solely a function of the better track conditions on the BNSF?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a little confused by the layout of that presentation-where did those 187 miles of track go? The timetable shows 110 MPH speeds between Dwight and Pontiac this year-but that's only 22 miles, not 187. I guess other stretches were upgraded but not to 110 MPH standards?

I'm a little confused by the layout of that presentation-where did those 187 miles of track go? The timetable shows 110 MPH speeds between Dwight and Pontiac this year-but that's only 22 miles, not 187. I guess other stretches were upgraded but not to 110 MPH standards?
The sections with 110 mph speeds will require grade crossing and signal upgrades. There are a lot of grade crossings on the route which are to be upgraded with quad gates, vehicle detection systems, fencing which have to be in place before they run at higher speeds. The signal system has to be in place as well, checked out and approved for up to 110 mph operation. Expect there is more track work to be done, including to the passing sidings. The Dwight to Pontiac section is just the teaser which they must have decided to move up the schedule and get the work completed for the PR aspects of achieving 110 mph speeds for a short run. The completion date for the Dwight to Alton segment is 2014, so there is a lot more work to be done.

Five hours from Chicago to Dubuque? Ouch. I've done that drive and even if you go the long way via Savanna it's 3 1/2 hours. The direct way via Rockford and US-20 it's more like 3:20. The Chicago-Moline time seems much more reasonable. Is this solely a function of the better track conditions on the BNSF?
The 5:10 estimate for Chicago to Dubuque is based on very old data. That timing was estimated back during the '07 study. A newer study acknowledged better track conditions now exist (in 2010) but didn't provide an updated schedule. IL-DOT is also negotiating with CN on running multiple trains a day. My bet is that old 5:10 estimate will be dropping significantly. I'd say closer to 3 or 4 when the additional upgrades are done, and I'm betting they'll get 2 roundtrips running daily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back