New Carrollton Station: Hours Reduced

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thirdrail7

Engineer
Even though the website does not reflect it, the NCR ticket office and waiting room is reportedly closed on weekends. This means the quick trak machine is not accessible.

Not really, just buy the ticket on the train. There aren't a whole lot of people originating their journeys there anyhow.
They can't smack you with a surcharge cause the office is closed. Right?
Just as a reminder, Amtrak will charge a higher fare if you purchase your ticket on the train.
Highest fare possible for that train, but without the additional $10 onboard penalty if the station is closed, for those wondering.
And yes, they are very high. I remember asking a conductor to price BWI-WAS on 151, and with the penalty it was something like $45. NWK-NYP was $69. Guess that's one way to push shorthaul riders to take NJT!

Last edited by a moderator:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't this line recently institute weekend service, new to MARC which was previously just 5 days?

They used to have Amtrak cross honor weekly/monthly on the weekend, I believe that is discontinued for this branch.

Even though the website does not reflect it, the NCR ticket office and waiting room is reportedly closed on weekends. This means the quick trak machine is not accessible.
Perhaps Amtrak could deploy a hardened QuikTrak machine that could be placed outside for 24/7 usage like an ATM. Although that would likely cost more than they would be able to make back in a reasonable timeframe. Perhaps they could save time and money by providing a wireless hotspot for ensuring dependable mobile access to their website in unstaffed/understaffed locations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back