New Concept for Superliner Bedroom w pics

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, that is a photo of The Maharajas Express. Our Jis takes that train whenhe is traveling in India!!
Hah! I wish! The closest thing to this that I have actually ridden on and that too for free is in an A/C Saloon used by Railway Officers in Indias when they go out on Inspection Tours. One my Cousin in law is a senior officer of Indian Railways and on occasions I have ridden around with him while he was out on inspection trips.

Last edited by a moderator:
That photo is from The Maharajas Express, a super high-end luxury tourist train operating in India. Lots more photos of the accommodation options in this gallery.

As for the costs, this room costs $22,000 (yes, twenty two thousand US dollars only :D ) for a 7 night 8 day trip, so do the math, $5,000 or so for a typical 2 night trip from Chicago to West coast on a Superliner equipped train. Imagine the number of AGR points you'd accumulate :p

Actually - the Presidential Suite is now $23,000. But the original picture in this thread is one of the Junior Suites, which is "only" $9,890. A Deluxe Cabin (with twin beds) is $6,840, which might be do-able on a dream vacation someday!

Isn't VIA building a deluxe bedroom accommodation for the Canadian, which will feature extra large windows, full bathroom, and tv in the room? Not as over the top as this, but definitely a step up from a lower level roomette.
In operation now in some of the Park cars. I believe that 3 rooms in the original cars are being converted to accomodate just 2 rooms, making each room about 50% larger than before. Larger windows are being installed, also. Now in operation on some of the Canadian consists.

That photo is from The Maharajas Express, a super high-end luxury tourist train operating in India. Lots more photos of the accommodation options in this gallery.

As for the costs, this room costs $22,000 (yes, twenty two thousand US dollars only :D ) for a 7 night 8 day trip, so do the math, $5,000 or so for a typical 2 night trip from Chicago to West coast on a Superliner equipped train. Imagine the number of AGR points you'd accumulate :p
At the link you posted it shows a photo of the room in past #1 room and calls it a Junior Suite. A Junior Suite for the most expensive trip they offer, Heritage of India, shows a per person price of USD $9,890.00. The Presidential Suite is USD $23,700 per person on the same trip.

Yes, that is a photo of The Maharajas Express. Our Jis takes that train when

he is traveling in India!!
Truth be told Jis has not traveled on an LD train in India in several years. The typical one that he would use are on the Kolkata - New Delhi route. But they are so incredibly unreliable in the winter fog season that prudence dictates flying which can still operate with CAT IIIb landing facilities. Even the prestigious Rajdhani Express regularly run 8 to 12 hours behind schedule many days in the winter. The delay is caused by thick fog which makes signal sighting impossible causing trains to operate at restricting speeds for extended periods of their run.

When I do travel LD in India I tend to opt for the decidedly more plebian AC First Class, which is remarkably inexpensive:

Indian_Railways_AC_first_class_4-berth_cabin.JPG

If I had $22,000 to spare I'd go to Tahiti or Seychelles or some other exotic place by Business Class and not waste it on spending 6 nights and days visiting places that I have already seen. Afterall I lived in Rajasthan, where the Maharajas Express mostly operates. It was my stomping ground for 18 years of my life.

I actually started this post as a joke. Some people who never travel by train have no idea what it is like. A while back we had one guy ask what type of live entertainment does Amtrak provide onboard. I replied " the orchestra sets up in the lounge". It is difficult to understand the ignorance about passenger rail that exists.

In all seriousness, on a short LD trip, all we really require is a place to sleep and food to eat. Luxury private car accommodations are nice, but when we arrive at our destination, we can stay at a 4 or 5 star hotel for less than the cost of the bedroom add on charge.

I actually started this post as a joke. Some people who never travel by train have no idea what it is like. A while back we had one guy ask what type of live entertainment does Amtrak provide onboard. I replied " the orchestra sets up in the lounge". It is difficult to understand the ignorance about passenger rail that exists.

In all seriousness, on a short LD trip, all we really require is a place to sleep and food to eat. Luxury private car accommodations are nice, but when we arrive at our destination, we can stay at a 4 or 5 star hotel for less than the cost of the bedroom add on charge.
I'm trying to imagine playing a violin or cello while the train rocks over switches and rough tracks.

The fabled Orient Express apparently did carry a whole string quartet at one time. Maybe the train operated slow enough over good track to make it possible, who knows?
Perhaps. Then the lights dim and when restored, one of the musicians is found on the floor. Dead. The suspects are all in the same lounge together. No doors were opened or closed. No murder weapon is seen. Suddenly, Hercule Poirot busts into the silent room.

"Why isn't the music playing," he exlaims, interupting himself upon observation of the victim. "Oh dear. It appears someone has been stabbed. And I know who did it."

Am I the only one that finds the interior design in that room slightly nauseating?
Nope, I do too. I have no real words but uncomfortable. No comfy chairs, the bedspread, plus I would have trouble coming up with all of the $22,000 per trip. I will stick to the Amtrak sardine can! I just read it was India. Lotta space for one or two persons.
Firstly, I would struggle to come up with that money. And if I should ever decide to spend it on luxury train travel I'd prefer to spend it on a train that has some genuine history. Trains like the Orient Express are essentially time capsules (with certain allowances for today's safety and other requirements), but by and large they appear exactly as they appeared 50 or 70 years ago or more and you can picture the aristocarcy walking those corridors and sipping champaigne in the very place that you are sipping it now. Also, the artistic design of the cars is genuine and reflects the work of some of the leading designers of the period. This wsn't a landcruise from day one but once a real choice for travel requirements.

Frankly, i don't see the value of a modern day soulless fake tacky retro train, which appears all glam and expensive but is somewhat lacking in taste or context.

Now if instead they had assembled a train of restored private and luxury cars, of which India too once had a fair number ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back