New Consist Arrangement forSilver Service and the Crescent

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you talking about leading with the sleepers and operating in push configuration?
You'd need cab cars for the front!

I'm having trouble visualzing your suggestion.
He's being sardonic.
Um no...Notice I said "then it'd actually be the front" indicating the locomotives would be the front. I only said it the way I did to make sure it was clearly solving the problem instead of just the old broken record of "just put the Viewliners back."
I'm still utterly incapable of visualizing the consist that you're describing.

OK, I think that I get it. From the "old way" with the sleepers up front, you're just talking about turning the amfleets around so that they run with the vestibules forward?

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems the issue of where vestibules are is really a non factor with this. They did not have to move the sleepers to the back to get the vestibule alignment they wanted.
If I am thinking straight here, it would seem you could flip the entire consist (less the baggage) from how it is now, have the sleepers up front and still have the vestibules how they want them.

But they wanted the Viewliners to face forward. If they don't, all of the roomette passengers face backwards.

Seems the issue of where vestibules are is really a non factor with this. They did not have to move the sleepers to the back to get the vestibule alignment they wanted.
If I am thinking straight here, it would seem you could flip the entire consist (less the baggage) from how it is now, have the sleepers up front and still have the vestibules how they want them.

But they wanted the Viewliners to face forward. If they don't, all of the roomette passengers face backwards.
The coach pax too-- all of the seats would need rotated.

OK, I think that I get it. From the "old way" with the sleepers up front, you're just talking about turning the amfleets around so that they run with the vestibules forward?

That still doesn't eliminate the problem of the diner's lack of access to vestibules.

I happened to get video of the LSL every day during the week they were eliminating the diners. For a couple days, one consist had the diner backwards, with the tables at the rear. According to people at Amtrak, this was a test to see if the Viewliners could be kept at the front of the train.

Just for the record, I like the sleepers being at the rear of the train. The extra "sway" helped put me to sleep.

Emergency exits. Single level lounges don't have vestibules with doors. By switching the cars to the back you put the sleepers (which do have vestibules) against the lounge car offering an exit that would otherwise not be there.
If you just flipped sleepers around there would still be a car with only one end with an emergency exit door. With the current arrangement, each car has an exit on each end.
I thought the dining car was next to the sleepers, not the lounge?

If lounge cars and dining cars do not have vestibules, there is no way all cars can have an exit on each end. I am just not following the "vestibule" argument.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhVxI4IZWBc

I may have been fooled by the shape-- that's the new diner right there, notice there are no doors.

Watch the consist:

P42

P42

Bag

Coach-door

Coach-door

Coach-door

Coach-door

Lounge-door

Diner

door- Sleeper

door- Sleeper

The last sleeper doesn't need a second door because the last door is the exit in and of itself... the same applies to the front coach which can access the bag with very big side doors.
Right, so if you reverse the consist...

P42

P42

Bag

Sleeper-door

Sleeper-door

Dining

Door-Lounge

Door-Coach

Door-Coach

Door-Coach

Door-Coach

I am not arguing against/for anything. I am just saying the door alignment can be done while leaving the sleepers at the front.

There is no forward or backwards in sleeper compartments.

The coach pax too-- all of the seats would need rotated.
Just once. I assume the Amfleet seats turn just like the Superliners.

I've never been in one, but don't all the couches in the viewliner bedrooms face the same direction?

I've never been in one, but don't all the couches in the viewliner bedrooms face the same direction?
No, the are opposite so that they can open the partition between them and make a "suite".

What would be the problem with putting the baggage behind the Viewliners then the locomotives behind that, then flipping the seats in the Amfleets (so it would actually be in front of the Viewliners but whatever)? The vestibule arrangement doesn't change, and Viewliners are back up front.
Actually, if you did it that way, then the sleeper would be without an exit at one end due to the fact that the baggage car would prevent you from using the end door as an exit.

Which is what happens now in coach with the baggage up front. Either one of the coaches is without an exit, the diner is without an exit, or the sleepers are without an exit. My vote is for the sleepers to not. Simply for the reason there will likely be less people trying to get out that one exit except at night when it's the sleepers that are full and the Diner that is empty. During the day, the people would tend to spread out. Can you imagine 60 or 80 coach passengers all trying to get to the back of the car at once in a panic because the train derailed or is on fire or something?

What would be the problem with putting the baggage behind the Viewliners then the locomotives behind that, then flipping the seats in the Amfleets (so it would actually be in front of the Viewliners but whatever)? The vestibule arrangement doesn't change, and Viewliners are back up front.
Actually, if you did it that way, then the sleeper would be without an exit at one end due to the fact that the baggage car would prevent you from using the end door as an exit.
No matter what, some car is going to be next to the baggage car and none of them have vestibules on both ends. The first coach now does not have a vestibule next to the baggage.

No matter what, some car is going to be next to the baggage car and none of them have vestibules on both ends. The first coach now does not have a vestibule next to the baggage.
But you can fix that by putting an Amfleet I for SD passengers between the lounge and the first coach.

But you can fix that by putting an Amfleet I for SD passengers between the lounge and the first coach.
Yup, that would work. However, I seriously doubt that will happen.

Emergency exits. Single level lounges don't have vestibules with doors. By switching the cars to the back you put the sleepers (which do have vestibules) against the lounge car offering an exit that would otherwise not be there.
If you just flipped sleepers around there would still be a car with only one end with an emergency exit door. With the current arrangement, each car has an exit on each end.
I thought the dining car was next to the sleepers, not the lounge?

If lounge cars and dining cars do not have vestibules, there is no way all cars can have an exit on each end. I am just not following the "vestibule" argument.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhVxI4IZWBc

I may have been fooled by the shape-- that's the new diner right there, notice there are no doors.

Watch the consist:

P42

P42

Bag

Coach-door

Coach-door

Coach-door

Coach-door

Lounge-door

Diner

door- Sleeper

door- Sleeper

The last sleeper doesn't need a second door because the last door is the exit in and of itself... the same applies to the front coach which can access the bag with very big side doors.

Great video!!!

I'm from Canada and I think its and excellent practice that Amtrak engineers usually give two blast of the horn when they get the highball from the Conductor.Was this or is it a RULE???

I know in Canada we don't do this hardly at all but it's so professional.

Maybe the FAT CATS at Via's head quarters in montreal think that Via is to high and mighty for this practice?

Gotta love AMTRAK :)

Hot Coffee in the Morning!

I can't believe this discussion is still going on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :unsure:

Not that I'm adverse to discussion, but wow over 130 responses!!

Hot Coffee in the Morning!
I can't believe this discussion is still going on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :unsure:

Not that I'm adverse to discussion, but wow over 130 responses!!
We did merge some threads and that made it longer. At least its not about TP! :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back