New Eats At L.A. Union Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WhoozOn1st

Engineer
Honored Member
An eternal question around here - "What's there to eat at LAUS?" - has several new answers, as shown by this e-newsletter from RailPAC (Rail Passenger Association of California & Nevada):

Eating at Los Angeles Union Station gets better

See's Candies, Famima convenience store, Wetzel's Pretzels, and Subway sandwiches are the new (and in my view poor) choices, and I'll stick with my recommendations of Philippe's and Olvera Street at the right hours.

An eternal question around here - "What's there to eat at LAUS?" - has several new answers, as shown by this e-newsletter from RailPAC (Rail Passenger Association of California & Nevada):

See's Candies, Famima convenience store, Wetzel's Pretzels, and Subway sandwiches are the new (and in my view poor) choices, and I'll stick with my recommendations of Philippe's and Olvera Street at the right hours.
Sounds good. Not sure if I'd call See's Candies an eating place though. I hope I am not ever that desperate to eat a lb of candy.

I'm with you. Not only is Philippe's far superior to any of the fast-food emporiums (tho Subway gets a salute for at least offering non-burger fare), the short walk there get you a nice exterior view of LAUS and a jaunt through Olvera Street if you wish.

Since I first ate at Philippe's in 1955 as a wee boy of 3 (breakfast before we boarded the old Coast Daylight), I've been a regular. NOW if they could entice Philippe's to have a truncated take-out stand in the station for those wishing decent food on the Surfliners...

...and of course there's always been Union Bagel.

Over the weekend I noticed that there will soon be a Starbucks. Good thing...Union Bagel has good bagels, but their coffee is utter swill.

Famima is a ray of light compared to the older alternatives. Philippes is good, but the line makes a quick trip difficult. I still pack a lunch for most trips through LA. And don't forget some water if you are taking the bus to Bakersfield.

...and of course there's always been Union Bagel.

Over the weekend I noticed that there will soon be a Starbucks. Good thing...Union Bagel has good bagels, but their coffee is utter swill.
I brought a cup of coffee from them once; had about 2 sips before I threw it away. And while I appreciate a good cup of coffee, I can drink just about any coffee. I'm not sure what they're brewing, but it's not coffee.

Mind you, Starbucks isn't exactly a huge step up, but it is nonetheless an improvement.

Subway must be baking on-site. Mrs SP&S and I were at LAUS a week ago waiting for the CS and the smell of fresh bread baking made a good part of the station smell nice. We particularly noticed it at the ticket window. We had thought of hoofing it to Phillipe's but we'd already done a lot of walking that morning (two airports - furthest out gates) and it was raining so we just settled in at Trax. If only we could reincarnate Fred Harvey...

I'm with you. Not only is Philippe's far superior to any of the fast-food emporiums
Oh, are they?

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2010/02/phillipes-restaurant-cocroach-infestation.html
As a place that's been operating for 100 years, I suspect their health record is pretty good or the market i.e. customers would have abandoned them long ago.

If you're fearful because of what you posted, then please don't eat there. I doubt it will matter one way or another.

I'm with you. Not only is Philippe's far superior to any of the fast-food emporiums
Oh, are they?

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2010/02/phillipes-restaurant-cocroach-infestation.html
As a place that's been operating for 100 years, I suspect their health record is pretty good or the market i.e. customers would have abandoned them long ago.

If you're fearful because of what you posted, then please don't eat there. I doubt it will matter one way or another.
Also, the article is a year old. The Public Health Dept wouldn't have let them re-open unless the problem was fixed, and continued to stay fixed with later inspections.

From the article: "He said the restaurant typically receives high scores during routine inspections." This was said by the director of environmental health for the Los Angeles County Public Health Department.

Last edited by a moderator:
The inspection that shut them down was prompted by complaints. The co-owner says the health inspector saw one roach. Is this the same roach the customers saw?

The inspection that shut them down was prompted by complaints. The co-owner says the health inspector saw one roach. Is this the same roach the customers saw?
Oh, please, you've tried to make whatever tiny point you wished to make. Give it a rest. Make yourself peanut butter sandwiches, nuke them in the microwave to eliminate any and all bacteria on your hands, and have a great trip! :lol:

Read it again, it is a year old! They have been open and reinspected several times since. Give it a rest.

got a couple of way overpirced sodas in famina. it has the atmosphere and selection of a third rate convience store. it's phillipe's for us. i like to just walk in and buy a jar of their mustard from the cashier if we aren't going to have a sandwich. i guess as far as laus we will have to wait for the fred harvey restaurant to re-open.

Mind you, Starbucks isn't exactly a huge step up, but it is nonetheless an improvement.
The real question is whether the Starbucks will have free wifi. If no wifi, take the hike to Phillipe's for 10 cents (75 cents takeout).
Phillipe's has takeout wifi? Wow!

"I'll take a vente speed 3Mb/sec to go please".
:lol: Good one me_little_me!

For those who haven't been there, Philippe's coffee is still 10 cents. Their website has info about the history, trains exhibit, building, house mustard, and of course a menu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back