New Member - ChillZZ

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChillZZ

Train Attendant
Hi all, I just signed up to this board yesterday after seeing alot of useful information on Amtrak travelling.

I'm Michael from the Netherlands and I'm quite interested in train travelling in general.

But more importantly I am planning on visiting the United States, which I plan to cross from north to south, and from east to west and back to the northeast mostly by Amtrak.

I certainly have set my sights on travelling :

• Empire Builder, from Seattle to Chicago,
  • Lakeshore Limited from Chicago to New York,
  • Southwest Chief from Los Angeles to Chicago,
  • California Zephyr from Chicago to San Francisco.
To get to those cities, I will travel other Amtrak trains, while I visit some friends and do some siteseeing along the way.

I Hope I can get some usefull information on travelling Amtrak and other general travel info.

Welcome to AU!
hi.gif

If you could tell us more info (such as when you plan to travel, where and how long you plan to stay, etc...), we will be glad to try to help you!

@jdcnosse: Thanx, so i've noticed on the chat :) Yeah Dutchies seemed to roam the seven seas back in the days :p

@the_traveler : Thanx, I have not a clue yet on when it will happen. Mostly due to saving up (It's gonna be one expensive travel for shure :)

The trip itself will be a maximum of 3 months / ~ 90 days length, due to the ESTA/VWP limitations.

Since i don't like cold too much, or like to be snowed in, it's either gonna be spring/summer or summer/fall,

which would be interesting, since phoenix is on the itinerary as well.

Basically i've come to this route so far, after doing loads of reading :

Boston, MA to Philadelphia, PA - North East Regional (New York, New Haven & Hartford / Penn)

Philadelphia, PA - Washington DC, - North East Regional

Washington DC, - Greensboro, NC - Carolinean

Greensboro, NC - Atlanta, GA - Cresent

Atlanta, GA - New Orleans, LA - Cresent

New Orleans, LA - Memphis, TN - City of New Orleans

Memphis, TN - Centralia, IL - City of New Orleans

St. Louis, MO - Texarkana, AK/TX - Texas Eagle

Texarkana, AK/TX - San Antonio, TX - Texas Eagle

San Antonio, TX - Maricopa, AZ - Texas Eagle / Sunset Limited

Las Vegas, NV - Los Angeles, CA - Thruway Coach

Los Angeles, CA - Chicago, IL - Southwest Chief (Full stretch)

Chicago, IL - San Francisco, CA - California Zephyr + Thruway Coach (Full stretch)

San Francisco, CA - Seattle, WA - Coast Starlight

Seattle, WA - Chicago, IL - Empire Builder (Full Stretch)

Chicago, IL - Erie, PA - Lake Shore Limited

Erie, PA - New York, NY - Lake Shore Limited

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome ChillZZ. It is good to have you join Amtrak Unlimited.

Where are you from in the Netherlands?

We lived in Amsterdam for three years and very much enjoyed your country.

I traveled on your trains throughout the country.

Let us know how we can help with your upcoming trip to the US.

@Bobnabq Thanx :)

@Shanghai Thanx :) I Live in the Rotterdam area.

I love the Dutch Railways, although I think I must be the only one.. since everyone complains about them all the time.

I Hope you've enjoyed em as well.

The line " Hope I can get some usefull information on travelling Amtrak and other general travel info."

was ment more as a general statement as in i joined this board and hope i'll gather usefull information while reading the several topics, then an actual cry for help.

Maybe i've formulated it a bit weird, but then i'll blame the time of posting ;) (way after midnight)

I've come to the conclusion a 18 segment USA Railpass would be the best option for me, with on the longer runs an upgrade to roomette.

With the current route i'm 1 segment short, so i will pay that segment for a regular ticket. i.e. Philadelphia - Washington DC ($35,-)

Or doesn't it work like that? Does Amtrak say which routes fall within the segments, and say you've got to pay i.e. the longest segment

Ofcourse it's nice to know what things to see and/or do in the cities and surrounding area, i've found alot online already,

but a local does know more about interesting stuff then the internet.

The only thing hard to find is affordable motels/hotels in the vicinity of the stations, especially in the larger cities.

hotels.com is a pita when it comes to that, so if anyone knows a good and affordable chain(s), please recommend :)

I will do everything by public transport or cab, since i don't have a driverslicence. The only exceptions to that are a flight from phoenix to rapid city, and from rapid city to las vegas.

A friend will drive me from centralia to st louis and another friend will drive me from maricopa to phoenix.

I also do wonder how one can get to Monticello, Illinois by public transport or Amtrak.

for a $100,- 'donation' to the museum you can operate a classic diesel, either EMD F7, Alco RS-3, EMD NW-2 or Alco FPA-4, now that is something railrelated i would wanna do :)

I also do wonder how one can get to Monticello, Illinois by public transport or Amtrak.

for a $100,- 'donation' to the museum you can operate a classic diesel, either EMD F7, Alco RS-3, EMD NW-2 or Alco FPA-4, now that is something railrelated i would wanna do :)
I do not know the answer to that question, since I do not know that area well. But in Old Saybrook, CT (actually a very few miles/km north of there in Essex, CT - the next town), the Valley Railroad has certain times that you can operate a STEAM LOCOMOTIVE!
cool.gif
(The website does not list the days yet for 2012m but you could contact them by email - listed at the bottom of the page.)

I do not know the answer to that question, since I do not know that area well. But in Old Saybrook, CT (actually a very few miles/km north of there in Essex, CT - the next town), the Valley Railroad has certain times that you can operate a STEAM LOCOMOTIVE!
cool.gif
(The website does not list the days yet for 2012m but you could contact them by email - listed at the bottom of the page.)
Oh, thats nice! $500,- is a bit expensive for a ride along though :eek:

It's been a while since i've been in the cab of a steamengine... but an american streamliner diesel.. i've never been in ;)

:hi: Welcome to the best Forum on the net! Your idea to buy the 45 day/18 segment Rail Pass is a good one! Just remember that the Number of seats available are limited when you use the pass, so once you know when you are coming across the pond youll need to book your reservations and you must have a ticket for each segment of your trip, ther pass does not work without a reservation and tickets!

As to hotels, you cant go wrong staying in the Hostels International, we have some that are first rate, lots of our member shave stayed in them (of all ages!),a membership is worth it! (Most of the places include breakfast, some even have private rooms,you can Google up the various cities for info!

Public Transportation is great in most Major Cities cities (ie New York, Washington, Philadelphia, Chicago, LA, San Francisco, Portland, Seattle), really poor in others! Day/Week Passes always save you money, also Youth, AAA, Student etc. discounts save you money!Some stuff if booked in Europe is cheaper than when you buy it here, this isnt true for Amtrak however!

Summer, Spring Break and Holidays are our busiest travel times, travel during the week is usually less crowded than on weekends.

As you know theres lots of great info on here, some of it is even true! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dont hesitate to read everything posted here, ask questions and contribute your experiences and ideas, we all learn from each other, the love of Trains and Travel is common to us all! :wub: Jim

I see that Monticello, Illinois has a shuttle bus service that takes local residents (on demand/request--not scheduled)

to Champaign, Illinois, a good size city, 20 miles (35 km) away.

You might contact them to see if you could be picked up in Champaign.

Their contact info is:

Piattran (Piatt County Public Transportation)

[email protected]

1921 N Market St

Monticello, IL 61856

Phone: (217)762-7821

-----------------------------------

Champaign, IL is serviced by Amtrak at 45 East University Avenue, Champaign, IL 61820

Phone (217) 352-5905

and by Greyhound Bus Lines at 45 E UNIV AVE, Champaign, IL 61820

Phone (217) 352-4150

-----------------------------------------

If you want to check the cost of a taxi between Champaign to Monticello:

Taxi Co
transparent.png

602 S 1st St # 2,

Champaign, IL 61820-7921

@Bobnabq Thanx :)

The only thing hard to find is affordable motels/hotels in the vicinity of the stations, especially in the larger cities.

hotels.com is a pita when it comes to that, so if anyone knows a good and affordable chain(s), please recommend :)

I
There is a post on the internet that lists hotels near Amtrak station in most cities in the US.

I don't recall the URL, but I think someone will respond with that information.

If you have time when you are in New York City, I would be happy to meet you at Penn Station.

I'm a 40 minute train ride from NYP in New Jersey. I hope you have a great trip to the US.

There is a post on the internet that lists hotels near Amtrak station in most cities in the US.

HERE it is!
cool.gif

Note that all those hotels listed may or may nor be directly be located near the Amtrak Station. However they can be reached by mass transit (subways, commuter trains, cabs, etc..) from the Amtrak station - see the notes.

Aloha

On the first leg Boston - ? you mention a regional. You should consider the Acela, that section is the fastest section. Also for your Vegas visit room rates range from $25 to $30,000 The Imperial Palace, on the strip last October had rooms for $25. Most hotels here set the rats by how full they are. Most Strip Hotels are safe, you must be more careful at the downtown hotels as some of these are seedy. As you get closer to the dates we can do more.

On the first leg Boston - ? you mention a regional. You should consider the Acela, that section is the fastest section.
Unfortunately Acela's are not included on the rail pass, so he would have to pay for that if indeed he decided to take an Acela.

As to hotels, you cant go wrong staying in the Hostels International, we have some that are first rate, lots of our member shave stayed in them (of all ages!),a membership is worth it! (Most of the places include breakfast, some even have private rooms,you can Google up the various cities for info!
Hmmm bunking up with 5 other farting and snoring dudes... that time has past. The Private room option is something to look at though! thanx :)

Some stuff if booked in Europe is cheaper
Seriously? on most sites (i.e. hotels.com) the US version and prices are almost always better :eek:

Summer, Spring Break and Holidays are our busiest travel times, travel during the week is usually less crowded than on weekends.
Very good to know.. thanx again!

I see that Monticello, Illinois has a shuttle bus service that takes local residents (on demand/request--not scheduled)...
Thanx, I'll email em for some info :)

@shanghai & the_traveler

Awsome! That is useful hotelinfo, which i never would have found even when i'm an avid googler ;)

If you have time when you are in New York City, I would be happy to meet you at Penn Station.

I'm a 40 minute train ride from NYP in New Jersey. I hope you have a great trip to the US.
Thats fine with me :) I've been looking for a hotel in Jersey City, near the Path since NYC is just crazy. The prices they'll ask for a bunkbed in a 12/18dorm! are about the same price as a double queen bedroom in other cities.. And Path runs almost 24/7 anyways..

On the first leg Boston - ? you mention a regional. You should consider the Acela, that section is the fastest section.
I've been thinking about that as well, but is it exactly the same stretch on just higher speeds, or is it a somewhat different route?

Acela isn't allowed on the USA Railpass, but thats not that big of deal, i can get a ticket for that, and use the pass for another segment.

But then again, it's a holiday not a business trip, so it's not that i need to be there on time or something.

And mind you, i've never been to the states (i've been to your northern neighbour though), so i will be looking out the window alot, enjoying the view :)

Also for your Vegas visit room rates range from $25 to $30,000
Lol yeah! I don't need a champagne bubblebath, a bed toilet and shower would do :)

A friend of mine stayed just of the strip in Club/Hotel Tropicana for about 25/30$ a night. seems decent on the pictures :)

A holiday isn't a good enough excuse to not take an Acela, I say (at least, if your budget allows) :lol: I did some more eastern trains than I usually can this past March before heading to Boston over the weekend, and I made it a point to take an Acela trip in First Class after hearing it talked about so much on this forum.

(edited for formatting fail on the quotes)

The hotels in Jersey City near the Exchange Square PATH station are expensive.

I don't believe PATH runs 24/7, but I could be wrong.

Actually PATH does indeed run 24/7, although not all lines operate 24/7. And in the wee hours of the morning one could find oneself waiting 35 to 45 minutes for a train, but one will eventually come.

Thats fine with me :) I've been looking for a hotel in Jersey City, near the Path since NYC is just crazy. The prices they'll ask for a bunkbed in a 12/18dorm! are about the same price as a double queen bedroom in other cities.. And Path runs almost 24/7 anyways..
Look for hotels near Newark (EWR) Airport, there are several on the list that people linked you to earlier and there may well be a few that aren't on that list. It will cost you a bit more in transportation, and probably about an hour in travel time, but you could well find a hotel out by the airport for under $80 US.

Almost all hotels at by the airport provide a 24/7 shuttle to the airport. At the airport you can catch the Airtrain, which will cost you $5.50 one way to get to the EWR Newark Airport train station. From there you can catch a New Jersey Transit train into the City.

I've been thinking about that as well, but is it exactly the same stretch on just higher speeds, or is it a somewhat different route?

Acela isn't allowed on the USA Railpass, but thats not that big of deal, i can get a ticket for that, and use the pass for another segment.

But then again, it's a holiday not a business trip, so it's not that i need to be there on time or something.

And mind you, i've never been to the states (i've been to your northern neighbour though), so i will be looking out the window alot, enjoying the view :)
It is the same route as the Regional's but the Acela is a very pleasant ride, everyone should do it once.

Also for your Vegas visit room rates range from $25 to $30,000
Lol yeah! I don't need a champagne bubblebath, a bed toilet and shower would do :) A friend of mine stayed just of the strip in Club/Hotel Tropicana for about 25/30$ a night. seems decent on the pictures :)
My personal favorite is the Flamingo Hotel near the middle of the strip.The Tropicana is at the south end of the "Strip" I stayed there once and liked it. My daughter spent her honeymoon there. and this summer they finished a renovation of it. Before moving to Vegas because of cost and attending various conventions, I have stayed at (in no Particular order) Flamingo 3 or 4 times, Tropicana, Mandalay Bay, Luxor, LV Hilton(about to loose Hilton name), Main Street Station, Mirage. Friends have stayed at the California, Imperial, and one other I can't remember.

Indeed not all lines run 24/7, but at least the Journal Sq - 33rd line does, albeit via the hoboken - 33rd line between 11pm and 6am

Look for hotels near Newark (EWR) Airport, there are several on the list that people linked you to earlier and there may well be a few that aren't on that list. It will cost you a bit more in transportation, and probably about an hour in travel time, but you could well find a hotel out by the airport for under $80 US.

Almost all hotels at by the airport provide a 24/7 shuttle to the airport. At the airport you can catch the Airtrain, which will cost you $5.50 one way to get to the EWR Newark Airport train station. From there you can catch a New Jersey Transit train into the City.
Thats a good one, i'll have a look into that. a few weeks back i've found some decent priced ones near Journal Sq. around $80 a night.

If Journal Sq. isn't that bad, it does cut transportation time in half though.

Luckily nothing is set in stone yet, but figuring this stuff out and see all the expenses needed does give me a rough number to be focussing on.

Too bad Penn Hotel roomrates start quite high, because that would be the ultimate end of a railroading adventure in the states :)

A holiday isn't a good enough excuse to not take an Acela, I say (at least, if your budget allows)
When i looked up some routes to take, i indeed came across the acela, but didn't give it a further look because it wasn't allowed on the railpass and

way higher priced then the north east regional while its time profit was just about 1 hour. In the big picture of the complete journey to make 1 hour more or less doesn't seem much.

Partly i was afraid to not see much of the surroundings either, since the acela is a highspeed train, and would be missing out alot.

However after reading more about it, and several of you suggested it, i should give it another look :) I loved the Thalys, TGV and ICE, so the Acela would fit quite perfectly in that group of highspeed trains, another highspeed train that i love is the Fyra. But thats just because it saves me half the traveling time each time i have to go to Amsterdam ;)

Moderator hat on

I think this has drifted from "new member" thread and should continue in the main, or general discussion areas (the hotel options and alternative transportation)

Aloha

Moderator hat also on.

We don't want to discourage you ChillZZ from asking questions. This part of the forum is meant to basically say "Hi!" by new members. Please, please, please use the "main" part of the forum to ask further questions about routes, hotels, trains, etc... We will be glad to assist you in your planning and answering your questions.

And enjoy your holiday to the US!
cool.gif

Back