New member from Birmingham, AL

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello! My name is Guy. I'm recently retired, the kids are grown, and I'm ready to start doing some serious travelling again. I've always enjoyed rail travel and hope to sample all of Amtrak's long distance routes in the near future. Given my home base in Birmingham, expect most stories to begin with "I boarded the Crescent..."

Hello! My name is Guy. I'm recently retired, the kids are grown, and I'm ready to start doing some serious travelling again. I've always enjoyed rail travel and hope to sample all of Amtrak's long distance routes in the near future. Given my home base in Birmingham, expect most stories to begin with "I boarded the Crescent..."
Welcome, Guy. I don't live in Birmingham, but that will be my jumping-off place as it is the closest Amtrak station to my home. What do you plan to do with your car while traveling? I am not keen to leave it at the station. The suggestions of Bham airport or UAB hospital seem safer for the vehicle.

Welcome, Guy. I'm old enough to remember when Birmingham was dubbed "The Pittsburgh of the South" because of our steel industries.
1909: President William Taft spoke at the Hillman Hotel. "You have caught the spirit of your opportunities and are determined to force them to a point where you shall make yourselves certainly the Pittsburgh of the South and one of the great industrial centers of the world, " Taft said.

Back