New member from one of the forgotten states

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let me start by saying that Wyoming misses AMTRAK. The Pioneer was one of the most enjoyable routes that AMTRAK ever ran.

My first rail memories were with my Grand-father. He was a Union Pacific Special Agent in Cheyenne, as such we had free reign throughout one of UP's best yards, working roundhouse and all. (The Cheyenne Depot has been restored and is now a tranportation museum, all should visit). The summer before AMTRAK, my Grandpa took me on a UP excursion from Laramie WY to Walden CO. in a Vista Dome. I was hooked for life.

Fast forward through 22 years in the Army and many AMTRAK adventures.

Coast Starlight with and without the Pacific Parlor Car. Anyone remember the PPC with the star scene painted on the ceiling?

Empire Builder. IMHO the second best route behind the Pioneer. I've been bussed around de-railments and colded out in North Dakota for hours. Love that Route.

California Zephir, Never rode it all the way to the Bay, but will someday.

Desert Wind, What could possibly be better than a train to Vegas?

Pere Marquette, The only route I've taken east of Chicago.

Pioneer, I've said enough.

Now here I am back in southern Wyoming with the closest station in Glenwwod Springs CO. do you think I'm going to let that stop me? NEVER!! 1 through 11 Feb. 10, I'm doing another winter AMTRAK vacation---Glenwood Springs to Chicago on the Zephir--Chicago to Seattle on the Southwest Chief (My first) and the Coast Starlight--Seattle to Chicago an the Empire Builder--Then back to Glenwood Springs on the Zephir.

I've had good trips and not so good trips, had good crews and not so good crews, been in good equipment and not so good equipment. But at the end of the day when I close my eyes to the rocking of the rails and the sound of the whistle at the head of the train, I'm in travel heaven..

Thanks for having me.

Mark Davis

"What good is the law without the TIN MEN enforcing it"

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum! I have a large collection of videos (recently converted to DVD's) from my Amtrak trips as well as many from my uncle's Amtrak journeys. I live near Spokane and my uncle, in Illinois, near Champaign. One one of those sets of tapes is a trip he and my aunt took from Champaign to Chicago and then to Seattle via the Pioneer in 1991. Included in that is a good portion of the route through Wyoming. For one reason or two others, I was never able to take a long-distance trip on Amtrak until long after the demise of the Pioneer. I hope some day for a return of that great route.

JayPea I see in your signature block "The City of Hinkle" UP route. I would love to hear about it. Was it a Spokane-Oregon or Seattle-Oregon route? Many people do not know how beautiful the eastern Washington-Oregon areas are.

Thanks to all for the warm welcome

Mark

JayPea I see in your signature block "The City of Hinkle" UP route. I would love to hear about it. Was it a Spokane-Oregon or Seattle-Oregon route? Many people do not know how beautiful the eastern Washington-Oregon areas are.
Thanks to all for the warm welcome

Mark

Tin Man, the City of Hinkle was a train that ran between Spokane and Hinkle, OR, where it made a connection with the UP mainline and various trains there. I'm not sure the City of Hinkle is its correct name; I've heard many different names for that same train but like this one the best. ;) The train itself was a mixed consist; it had a coach or two and a baggage car I believe and then a very long string of freight cars. It was one of the many routes that survived until the bitter end of the pre-Amtrak days and then along with many others dropped when Amtrak came into existance. I'd love to see a restored Pioneer and the City of Hinkle added as a way to connect Spokane to the Pioneer without having to backtrack all the way to Seattle or Portland. Of course, pigs will fly before that happens but it never hurts to dream!

The scenery along the City of Hinkle route was maybe not as scintillating as you might see in the mountains or along the Seattle-Portland line, but it had its own interesting scenery just the same. The view over the long steel bridge that spans the Snake River was, to me, every bit as spectacular as some encountered on existing Amtrak routes. And it ran along the Columbia, east of the current run of the Empire Builder. The gorge there is very scenic as well.

Welocme Tin Man!

I too would love to see the return of the Pioneer. I was scheduled to connect to the Pioneer years ago, but we derailed in Glenwood Canyon, and after the loooooooooooooong delay of getting to Glenwood Springs, and then a bus back to Denver, I opted to fly to my Oregon destination, so I wouldn't miss Christmas.

Welcome! I'm moving at the end of the month to Las Vegas, a city that doesn't see Amtrak service. Perhaps our shared pain will bring Amtrak back to our respective locations?

Welcome! I'm moving at the end of the month to Las Vegas, a city that doesn't see Amtrak service. Perhaps our shared pain will bring Amtrak back to our respective locations?
Las Vegas has Amtrak Thruway bus service to Bakersfield, Los Angeles, Kingman and Salt Lake City.

Just no trains.

Aloha

Looks like you are going to beat me there. I expect tobe your neighbor between April and June.

More later

Back