New Member here

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
U

USGrant

Hi I’m new

I’ve never been on Amtrak but I like trains. I joined because I have a bunch of questions I hope to get answered regarding Private Passenger Rail

I guess I will dive in on the board and get started asking

USGrant

Welcome!
hi.gif

If you have any questions - even "dumb questions" - just ask! The only dumb question asked is the one you didn't know the answer to, but didn't ask it!
wink.gif
Someone will post an answer.

We don't bite! (Well too hard, at least!
mosking.gif
)

Last edited by a moderator:
USGrant,

I approved your membership several hours ago, but you're still posting as a guest. Are you having trouble logging in?

USGrant,

I approved your membership several hours ago, but you're still posting as a guest. Are you having trouble logging in?
Not sure, I just signed in so lets see if it works

Thanks
Yup, now you're signed in! :)

That will make life easier, as you won't have to enter that goofy code everytime you want to post. Additionally the fforum will now keep track of what you've read and haven't read, and you also gain access to PM's (personal messages).

Welcome!
ciao.gif

blush.gif
Hi, I'm new here and new to train travel. I'm taking the Southwest Chief to CA in reserved coach and I'm at a total loss as to what to take, where the rest rooms are, electrical outlets, etc. I'm so confused as to what to do. I'm going to Jefferson City MO>Kansas City>then on to the Southwest Chief. Any suggestions would be wonderful!!
help.gif

Here is some information to get you started. It is from information I put together for my clients called "Enjoying Amtrak" The Amtrak website (Amtrak.com)has a section about baggage - what you are allowed to take - what you are not allowed to take and things with restrictions - such as CD players etc. must have earphones and you can bring food - maybe a carry on meal but can only eat it at your seat - not in the lounge or diner.

Where are you starting your trip? What time of year are you going?

What to Wear - What to take - and How to Take It

What to wear on the trainDress for comfort. Casual clothes are perfect – a jogging suit is good for sleeping in coach. You do not need to dress up to go to the dining car.

Have a sweater handy even in the summer when the air conditioning sometimes overworks.

Wear sturdy shoes (not sandals). Soft shoes with hard soles are ideal. Never walk barefooted on the train. You may remove your shoes while in your seat. You must wear shoes to receive service in the Lounge or Dining Car.

What to take - the short list

• Some fresh fruit - maybe an apple - as in airplanes, the air tends to dry skin.

• Bottled water - a couple of bottles or more for a longer trip - drinking lots of water will help to counteract the effect of the dry air.

• Another note about water: Fill a one-liter plastic water bottle about 1/4 full then freeze the bottle and water. When you are ready to leave, fill the bottle. The frozen water in the bottom will keep the water cold for a while. Wrap it in a towel and put it in a plastic bag.

• A small bottle of lotion for dry skin

• Some snacks

• Reading material if you like to read

• A small notebook to jot down things of interest - and there will be many.

• Route guide

• Schedule

• A small plastic bag with toothbrush, toothpaste and other necessary toiletries. Take a wash cloth (and a zip-lock bag to store it in) Some people like to take a small can of Lysol spray or some sanitizing wipes for the restrooms and shower. Frequent travelers have suggested taking a small tote bag with toothbrush, floss, toothpaste, razor, shaving cream, hair brush/comb, aspirin, etc.

• Travel pack of moist towelettes

• Medication - be sure to keep it with you, as you will not have access to any luggage you check.

• Small first aid kit – at least a few Band-Aids

What to take - the long list

• All of the above plus:

• Camera, lots of film or an extra memory card or two if you have a digital camera and extra batteries. You'll take more pictures than you can imagine on this beautiful trip.

• Small flashlight and extra batteries

• Radio/CD player/ipod or whatever with spare batteries and earphones.

• Cellular phone with spare battery.

• Dental floss - wonderful for tying things up and makes a great clothesline.

• Duct Tape – great for mending luggage and all sorts of other uses. (Travel duct tape is available in the Travelsmith Catalogue)

• A deck of cards

Nice to have if you have an interest in these things.

• GPS system – be sure to sit by a window

• Binoculars

• Route guide – describes the route you will follow

• Road map – it helps you know where you are in relation to other things.

Extra things to have handy if you are in coach

• A small pillow and a light blanket. A dark colored blanket will not show the dirt as much as a lighter color. A beach towel would also work, especially if you are headed for the beach and will use the towel at your destination. Bring along a small down pillow (down because it is crushable). To save space in your luggage just roll them up and tie them to your carry on piece. This advice applies even in the summer, as the air conditioning can be difficult to regulate on the train.

• Disposable foam rubber or silicone ear plugs

• A clean shirt will be welcome after a day or so in the one you boarded the train in.

Hi again! I have to drink a gallon of fluids a day, (kidney stones) so, my ? is, do I need to buy bottled waters or do they have regular (tap) water?

Back