Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steveindixon

Train Attendant
Hello Everyone! I'll be making my first trip on Amtrak this July when I travel from Davis, CA to Boston, MA to attend my youngest son's wedding. I have a reserved coach seat for the entire trip. My only concern is that my last leg starts in NY. My arrival time is 30 minutes before that train leaves. From what I've read, it is very likely my train will be late. How does Amtrk handle missed trains if a train is late getting into the station? Thank you! Steve

Steve,

Welcome. :)

Can you be more specific about where in NY you're catching your last train? If it is in NYC, then I'd question why you are booked on a train to NYC. If it's in Albany, then you have no worries. The connecting train #448 in Albany doesn't leave until the train #48 from Chicago arrives into Albany.

Hi Alan!

I'm sorry, I should have been more specific. I arrive in Albany-Rensselaer, NY. So, your information definitely put me at ease! Thank you! Steve

In fact, 448 used to be a section of 48. That is, they used to separate a sleeper, and some coaches from 48 and they'd go with a separate engine to Boston while the rest of 48 would get connected to either a General Electric P32ACDM or Electro Motive Division FL9 dual mode diesel/electric to allow it to operate electrically into the Pennsylvania Station, NYC.

Train 448 exists to serve 48.

They eliminated the move some years ago, primarily due to insufficient sleeper traffic from Boston and a shortage of Viewliner sleeping cars.

By the way, were I you, I'd upgrade to sleeper accommodations. They are more comfortable and include meals. I tried coach on 48 about a month ago. I didn't like it. Budget about $40 a day for meals.

They eliminated the move some years ago, primarily due to insufficient sleeper traffic from Boston and a shortage of Viewliner sleeping cars.
The shortage of sleeping cars was indeed part of the problem, but lack of sales of the rooms in the sleepers was not an issue. That sleeping car was typically at least 3/4ths sold by the time it reached Albany, if not sold out.

Beyond the shortage problem, part of the reason was Amtrak's desire to rotate all Viewliner sleepers during the winter onto a warm southern route after a run on one of the colder northern routes to help prevent freeze damage. Sending a sleeper to Boston did not accomplish that goal. The second reason is that with the demise of the sleeper on the Twilight Shorliner/Federal, eliminating the sleeper on the Boston section eliminated the need to keep parts and Viewliner trained workers in Boston.

The third and final reason, was the continual failure of the yard crews in Albany to accomplish combining/seperating the Boston section from the NY section in a timely manner. It was simply taking far too long to combine/seperate the two trains, which consistantly caused delays to the Lake Shore.

Train #448 will not depart Albany until Train #48 arrives. I was once on it, and due to a breakdown, we did not arrive into Albany until after 9 PM! (We should have been there around noon.) Train #448 did not depart until we arrived! ;)

On the return, train 49 will not depart Albany until BOTH train #49 (from NYC) and train #449 (from Boston) arrive in Albany.

The shortage of sleeping cars was indeed part of the problem, but lack of sales of the rooms in the sleepers was not an issue. That sleeping car was typically at least 3/4ths sold by the time it reached Albany, if not sold out.

Beyond the shortage problem, part of the reason was Amtrak's desire to rotate all Viewliner sleepers during the winter onto a warm southern route after a run on one of the colder northern routes to help prevent freeze damage. Sending a sleeper to Boston did not accomplish that goal. The second reason is that with the demise of the sleeper on the Twilight Shorliner/Federal, eliminating the sleeper on the Boston section eliminated the need to keep parts and Viewliner trained workers in Boston.

The third and final reason, was the continual failure of the yard crews in Albany to accomplish combining/seperating the Boston section from the NY section in a timely manner. It was simply taking far too long to combine/seperate the two trains, which consistantly caused delays to the Lake Shore.
Amen to number three. I've seen one armed switchman knock out a train of 100 cars in half the time it took the Albany switch crew to put the Boston train onto the NYP train...the "alledged" Albany conductor came on here and TRIED to say he was over worked. Come on down to Louisiana where the mosquitoes are bigger than a flat iron steak and the humidity and temperature are usually about the same~ 95 or better. I guarantee you'll love sitting in the shack on the platform in Albany if you make it back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back