New NEC extension approved!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Philzy

Train Attendant
How excited was I when I read the below article? :D

New Rail Route Funded - WAHU FOX 27 News

Finally! A real step in the right direction, the money's approved! One round trip a day of the NEC will be extended from DC south through Charlottesville (CVS) ending in Lynchburg. VRE will move around two slots for this to take place. I imagine all that is left is an agreement with Norfolk Southern.

I'm curious to see how long this will take to get up an running once an agreement is reached. Forgive my ignorance but how many cars will this train operate with? Is there a standard set of an amount of cars to use on an NEC route? Will there be a business or first class car? I assume there will only be a lounge car, no dinner, correct?

Oh I'm so excited for this I could pee my pants.

Rock on Amtrak!

Philzy

i can visit my friend alex now... by train :)
Well, you already could do that. The new train doesn't go anywhere the Crescent and Cardinal don't already; it just doubles service to Lynchburg and a bit-less-than-doubles service to Charlottesville and points north.

I'm very glad this is happening! The timing is just stupid, but at least it's happening at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I have heard/read, the plan is to simply extend the run of one corridor train to Lynchburg. The consist will be standard corridor consist, i.e. 1 BC, 1 Cafe and 6 Coaches, since it will just be a standard corridor train set that will be used. Basically a set that overnights in Washington DC will overnight at Lynchburg.

That's correct—it's simply an extension of a NEC set that runs NYP-WAS right now and instead of overnighting in DC, it'll overnight in LYH. I agree the timing could be a bit better (it's back to back against the Crescent, basically), but hey, this is a real step in the right direction. There's talk of eventually extending it west from Lynchburg to Roanoke and Bristol, but that of course will mean using 2 brand new train sets (that VA will probably have to purchase) and at that point the schedule would get altered to more of a mid-day train north instead of a morning train north, and a mid-day train south instead of a evening train south.

I'd also like to see a stop added in Orange, Gordonsville (which means a routing over the BBRR, of course), and Sweet Briar/Amherst (what I would have given to have had rail service from Farmville to Sweet Briar back in college.... :wub: ) but that's wishful thinking at this point, unfortunately.

To be honest, my only concern right her and now is what to name it!! If it gets named the Lynchburger, as has been suggested, I'll go nuts. My understanding is that the TransDominion Express moniker might finally be realized, but I'm personally hoping for either a renewal of the "Old Dominion" name, or possibly the "Thomas Jefferson," "George Washington," or "Blue Ridge," all for obvious reasons. Just anything but the Lynchburger!!

Rafi

That's correct—it's simply an extension of a NEC set that runs NYP-WAS right now and instead of overnighting in DC, it'll overnight in LYH. I agree the timing could be a bit better (it's back to back against the Crescent, basically), but hey, this is a real step in the right direction. There's talk of eventually extending it west from Lynchburg to Roanoke and Bristol, but that of course will mean using 2 brand new train sets (that VA will probably have to purchase) and at that point the schedule would get altered to more of a mid-day train north instead of a morning train north, and a mid-day train south instead of a evening train south.
This would be a fantastic development. Let's hope!

To be honest, my only concern right her and now is what to name it!! If it gets named the Lynchburger, as has been suggested, I'll go nuts.
Someone is seriously proposing "The Lynchburger"?!?! Good grief, I hope you're kidding--Google doesn't return much when I search for Amtrak Lynchburger, at least. And I'd really rather not see "Transdominion" anywhere in this, since 1, it's not even remotely similar to the proposed and ill-fated TDX, and 2, it's not "trans"dominion because it isn't crossing the state, not even north-south much less west-east.

I'd vote for the Thomas Jefferson or the Old Dominion. (Though if service is ever extended westwards linking Lynchburg to Roanoke, I'd love to see it renamed the Powhatan Arrow!...)

Or, in the tradition of the old Bangor & Aroostook "Potatoland Special", we could have the "Tobaccoland Special" :p

Someone is seriously proposing "The Lynchburger"?!?! Good grief, I hope you're kidding
I wish I were kidding. It was batted around in the first few stories that broke after Amtrak came back with a report in Jan '08 (I think) that detailed the trainset that could be used, etc. I hope... I really hope it wasn't anything more than just a suggestion.

And I'd really rather not see "Transdominion" anywhere in this, since 1, it's not even remotely similar to the proposed and ill-fated TDX, and 2, it's not "trans"dominion because it isn't crossing the state, not even north-south much less west-east.
Welllll..... Technically it's the same routing as the North-South segment of the TDX, without the stop in Orange. But the TDX really got its name because it went both East-West AND North-South. Heck, ten years ago we were even talking about it going to Norfolk (NOT Newport News) via Petersburg (and yes, that posed a problem since we wanted a stop at Richmond); those plans have long been shelved, obviously. Frankly, I'd like to see the TDX name reserved for the train that does eventually traverse Bristol-Roanoke-Lynchburg-Richmond-Norfolk/Newport News, since that was the bulk of the original vision for that moniker, and as you rightly point out, is much more appropriate as a name.

I'd vote for the Thomas Jefferson or the Old Dominion. (Though if service is ever extended westwards linking Lynchburg to Roanoke, I'd love to see it renamed the Powhatan Arrow!...)
Dude... naming an Amtrak train the Powhatan Arrow might just be sacrilege in some counties of VA. :p I don't know if we're ready for that yet!! That's hallowed ground, man, and boy howdy you'd better have a service that lives up to the standard that goes with that name. Besides, I think it's in the Bible that you need a J Series bullet on the head of any train that carries that name as a crown. :lol: Great, now you've got me thinking... "What if the 611 were brought out of retirement...again..." Thanks, Will. Now I'll be distracted the rest of the night. ;)

Or, in the tradition of the old Bangor & Aroostook "Potatoland Special", we could have the "Tobaccoland Special" :p
THAT'S more like it!

Rafi

Great, amazing, wonderful!

Hey that's something I wasn't at all expecting!

:) :) :)

(Well the only thing I'm expecting from Amtrak outside the NEC and California are cutbacks and decline of general service level,

so my expectations are as low as they can be)

Someone is seriously proposing "The Lynchburger"?!?! Good grief, I hope you're kidding
I wish I were kidding. It was batted around in the first few stories that broke after Amtrak came back with a report in Jan '08 (I think) that detailed the trainset that could be used, etc. I hope... I really hope it wasn't anything more than just a suggestion.

And I'd really rather not see "Transdominion" anywhere in this, since 1, it's not even remotely similar to the proposed and ill-fated TDX, and 2, it's not "trans"dominion because it isn't crossing the state, not even north-south much less west-east.
Welllll..... Technically it's the same routing as the North-South segment of the TDX, without the stop in Orange. But the TDX really got its name because it went both East-West AND North-South. Heck, ten years ago we were even talking about it going to Norfolk (NOT Newport News) via Petersburg (and yes, that posed a problem since we wanted a stop at Richmond); those plans have long been shelved, obviously. Frankly, I'd like to see the TDX name reserved for the train that does eventually traverse Bristol-Roanoke-Lynchburg-Richmond-Norfolk/Newport News, since that was the bulk of the original vision for that moniker, and as you rightly point out, is much more appropriate as a name.

Dude... naming an Amtrak train the Powhatan Arrow might just be sacrilege in some counties of VA. :p I don't know if we're ready for that yet!! That's hallowed ground, man, and boy howdy you'd better have a service that lives up to the standard that goes with that name. Besides, I think it's in the Bible that you need a J Series bullet on the head of any train that carries that name as a crown. :lol: Great, now you've got me thinking... "What if the 611 were brought out of retirement...again..." Thanks, Will. Now I'll be distracted the rest of the night. ;)

THAT'S more like it!

Rafi
Yoou can be sure this old timer appreciates the Powhatan Arrow from J Class to beautiful rouded observation car. One little problem: how was it pronounced? Was it POW un tun or pow HA tan, or what?

Yoou can be sure this old timer appreciates the Powhatan Arrow from J Class to beautiful rouded observation car. One little problem: how was it pronounced? Was it POW un tun or pow HA tan, or what?
Hey, this "new timer" appreciates it too, and I never even got to ride the excursions in the 90's, much less the original thing. But it does serve as the crown jewel of my O gauge layout at home. It's the one train topic I really, really "foam" over, mainly because I missed those darned excursions and I may never get another chance. But as for the pronunciation, my understanding is that it's generally accepted to be "Pow-uh-tun" with the emphasis on the first and last syllables (short O on the first syllable, as in "now"). I think the Virginia accent really dictates the "tun" over the "tan" on that. Same thing with the word, "Pencil." Most Richmonders will tell you it's "pee-ahn-sull". ;)

Now, when it comes to the Powhite Parkway, that's always been a raging debate in Richmond. My mother, a West End native of Richmond, swears that it's "Poe-haht," while others (Yankees, according to her!) insist it's Pow-hite (short O, long I). Who knows.

Rafi

How excited was I when I read the below article? :D
New Rail Route Funded - WAHU FOX 27 News

Finally! A real step in the right direction, the money's approved! One round trip a day of the NEC will be extended from DC south through Charlottesville (CVS) ending in Lynchburg. VRE will move around two slots for this to take place. I imagine all that is left is an agreement with Norfolk Southern.

I'm curious to see how long this will take to get up an running once an agreement is reached. Forgive my ignorance but how many cars will this train operate with? Is there a standard set of an amount of cars to use on an NEC route? Will there be a business or first class car? I assume there will only be a lounge car, no dinner, correct?

Oh I'm so excited for this I could pee my pants.

Rock on Amtrak!

Philzy
well this will be good. it will more jobs out of new york ! I looking forward to daily train .

Last edited:
So, my excitement is finally subsiding and I can breathe again...

From what I have heard/read, the plan is to simply extend the run of one corridor train to Lynchburg. The consist will be standard corridor consist, i.e. 1 BC, 1 Cafe and 6 Coaches, since it will just be a standard corridor train set that will be used. Basically a set that overnights in Washington DC will overnight at Lynchburg.
Not too shabby... I'm quite excited to take this next time I get back over to the east coast!

I'd also like to see a stop added in Orange, Gordonsville (which means a routing over the BBRR, of course), and Sweet Briar/Amherst (what I would have given to have had rail service from Farmville to Sweet Briar back in college.... :wub: ) but that's wishful thinking at this point, unfortunately.

To be honest, my only concern right her and now is what to name it!! If it gets named the Lynchburger, as has been suggested, I'll go nuts. My understanding is that the TransDominion Express moniker might finally be realized, but I'm personally hoping for either a renewal of the "Old Dominion" name, or possibly the "Thomas Jefferson," "George Washington," or "Blue Ridge," all for obvious reasons. Just anything but the Lynchburger!!

Rafi
Okay, the person who came up with "Lynchburger" should be shot. period. It makes it sounds like a fast food delivery train, McAmtrak - me thinks not. I won't be picky about times, not yet. Let this train get running, I know this will be an overwhelming success and they'll realize they need to add additional trains and frequencies.

Rafi, you bring up a really good point that I had been thinking of and I think I may have even mentioned in an earlier post. Lets say smaller communites along the route build platforms/stations, what would they have to go about doing in order to get this new train to stop there to pick up / offload passengers? Just off the top of my head I would think the likes of Amherst, North Garden, Barboursville, Orange, Montpelier (spelling?), Calverton - maybe even use some of the VRE Stations? not sure how well that would go over though... Just thinking "out loud"

THAT'S more like it!

Rafi

Maybe it will just be called "Northeast Regional" -_-
Yeah, I think I'm with you on this one. I think being that it's an extension of the NER they'll prob name it "Northeast Corridor 4" just a guess. Anyone?

So, everyone cross your fingers and toes and braid your hair for more trains to be placed on this route. I'm curious, (call me george) if things pan out the way i'm pretty sure they will and they'll start wanting to add more trains what comes next? Let's have a pipe dream and say VA foots the bill for some trainsets for amtrak to operate... at what point does DC max out of available slots (has this already taken place) being that there are all kinds of commuter trains aside from Amtrak operating in there? Does it make more sense to have Amtrak operate them? Does this give them an advantage of obtaining and using station slots over other commuter trains like VRE? Lastly, who would they most likely buy the trainsets from? I think there is one US company manufacturing rail car sets that I can think of off the top of my head and they are in Colorado? how many rail car producers do we have left in the states, Budd and Pullman my two faves are gone...

thanks!

Philzy

So, my excitement is finally subsiding and I can breathe again...
Not too shabby... I'm quite excited to take this next time I get back over to the east coast!

Rafi
Okay, the person who came up with "Lynchburger" should be shot. period. It makes it sounds like a fast food delivery train, McAmtrak - me thinks not. I won't be picky about times, not yet. Let this train get running, I know this will be an overwhelming success and they'll realize they need to add additional trains and frequencies.

Rafi, you bring up a really good point that I had been thinking of and I think I may have even mentioned in an earlier post. Lets say smaller communites along the route build platforms/stations, what would they have to go about doing in order to get this new train to stop there to pick up / offload passengers? Just off the top of my head I would think the likes of Amherst, North Garden, Barboursville, Orange, Montpelier (spelling?), Calverton - maybe even use some of the VRE Stations? not sure how well that would go over though... Just thinking "out loud"

THAT'S more like it!

Rafi

Maybe it will just be called "Northeast Regional" -_-
Yeah, I think I'm with you on this one. I think being that it's an extension of the NER they'll prob name it "Northeast Corridor 4" just a guess. Anyone?

So, everyone cross your fingers and toes and braid your hair for more trains to be placed on this route. I'm curious, (call me george) if things pan out the way i'm pretty sure they will and they'll start wanting to add more trains what comes next? Let's have a pipe dream and say VA foots the bill for some trainsets for amtrak to operate... at what point does DC max out of available slots (has this already taken place) being that there are all kinds of commuter trains aside from Amtrak operating in there? Does it make more sense to have Amtrak operate them? Does this give them an advantage of obtaining and using station slots over other commuter trains like VRE? Lastly, who would they most likely buy the trainsets from? I think there is one US company manufacturing rail car sets that I can think of off the top of my head and they are in Colorado? how many rail car producers do we have left in the states, Budd and Pullman my two faves are gone...

thanks!

Philzy
Colorado Railcar, thank god, went the way of Budd and Pullman. Their over-weight, poorly built crap will threaten innocent commuters no longer.

You've got a few companies that have been actively marketing cars in this country: Bombardier, Alstom, Talgo, Kawasaki, and Rotom are the main ones. None of them are American. Bombardier is Canadian, Alstom is French, Talgo is Spanish, Kawasaki is Japanese, and Rotom is Korean. The most popular builder in the US is Bombardier. They build those horrendously ugly octagonal bi-levels, every loco-hauled car NJTransit operates aside from the Comet Vs (Alstom), the Superliner IIs, the Horizons, and so on.

I'd say Talgo builds the best equipment.

I say everyone on here chip in $5 and we start our own railcar company. Who better to build rail cars than rail enthusiasts? Mind you, we'll "Supervise" I'm just not much for backbreaking manual labor, there's nothing stopping the rest of you tho. Support the US economy! woot!

As I mentioned in another post, I want train cars with bigger windows, unlike the peep holes you get Amfleets. Le sigh, if wishes were horses, we'd all be riding.

At the risk of incurring wrath from above (meaning previous posters), I kinda like "Lynchburger."

In winter the name could be, um, spiced up: Chilly Lynchburger. :D

As I mentioned in another post, I want train cars with bigger windows, unlike the peep holes you get Amfleets. Le sigh, if wishes were horses, we'd all be riding.
No need to wish for bigger windows! The FRA regulations for passenger rail cars (Amtrak and commuter rail) have for a few years now required windows large enough for a firefighter wearing air tanks to enter the railcar by the window. Therefore any new Amtrak cars will have large windows.

Let's have a pipe dream and say VA foots the bill for some trainsets for amtrak to operate... at what point does DC max out of available slots (has this already taken place) being that there are all kinds of commuter trains aside from Amtrak operating in there? Does it make more sense to have Amtrak operate them? Does this give them an advantage of obtaining and using station slots over other commuter trains like VRE?
The real problem is how much capacity there isn't on the freight railroads south of DC.

I believe the tunnel to the south of WAS is two track, and could probably accomodate 20-25 trains per hour in each direction if the movable bridge across the river to Virginia never has to open. If a significant number of those trains aren't continuing onto the NEC there might be a need to build some flying junctions to realize that full capacity, though.

That's correct—it's simply an extension of a NEC set that runs NYP-WAS right now and instead of overnighting in DC, it'll overnight in LYH. I agree the timing could be a bit better (it's back to back against the Crescent, basically)
This is why I think sending this trainset to Norfolk would have been a far better choice than LYH. Of course, that does require building a Norfolk station.

The real problem is how much capacity there isn't on the freight railroads south of DC.
I believe the tunnel to the south of WAS is two track, and could probably accomodate 20-25 trains per hour in each direction if the movable bridge across the river to Virginia never has to open. If a significant number of those trains aren't continuing onto the NEC there might be a need to build some flying junctions to realize that full capacity, though.
Norfolk Southern's line from Alexandria to Lynchburg can easily accommodate the additional train with no track upgrades needed, which is why Amtrak made it the #1 suggestion on their recommendation for new service in VA. That's also why we might see the service as early as September. CSX to Richmond/Newport News is a different matter, obviously, but the feeling is that one additional NPN-RVR-NYP train can be slotted in without too much trouble, which is also why that project is moving forward for another Regional train on that line.

Now, the tunnel out of DC Union Station is passenger only, and there's not a bottleneck there too often. The Potomac River bridge, while built as movable, hasn't moved in over twenty years and the tracks atop the bridge platform are now welded. The bridge doesn't move. Now, I don't know where you're coming up with the 20-25 trains per hour figure, but right now it's not more than 3-4 trains an hour both ways combined, unless someone's delayed and there's a bunch-up.

This is why I think sending this trainset to Norfolk would have been a far better choice than LYH. Of course, that does require building a Norfolk station.
As I alluded to above, this is actually a two-part deal. The Lynchburg train's getting most of the press because it's the first new service on that line in decades. But there IS a new NYP-RVR-NPN train on this deal as well, although I don't know if the start date is also in the fall. It's not direct to Norfolk, of course, but that means traversing to Petersburg and then working east from there, and track upgrades WOULD be required before that could happen, from what I know. Right now Amtrak and Virginia are just trying to put a footprint in the cement, so to speak, and then build from there.

-Rafi

Don't worry, there is no dearth of sets that overnight at DC, specially now that all the stored Amfleets will come out and roll on rails again. They will find another suitable one to overnight at Norfolk or wherever once they have resolved track capacity and quality issues.

Now, the tunnel out of DC Union Station is passenger only, and there's not a bottleneck there too often. The Potomac River bridge, while built as movable, hasn't moved in over twenty years and the tracks atop the bridge platform are now welded. The bridge doesn't move. Now, I don't know where you're coming up with the 20-25 trains per hour figure, but right now it's not more than 3-4 trains an hour both ways combined, unless someone's delayed and there's a bunch-up.
20-25 trains per hour is typically what a track that's handling only passenger trains in only one direction can handle. Of course, it may well not end up running anywhere near that many if there are bottlenecks elsewhere in the system, or if the demand simply is not that great.

Don't worry, there is no dearth of sets that overnight at DC, specially now that all the stored Amfleets will come out and roll on rails again. They will find another suitable one to overnight at Norfolk or wherever once they have resolved track capacity and quality issues.
I thought there was a potential shortage of Amcafes, though. I'm sure coming up with more coaches and coaches that you can pay business class fares to ride in and P42s isn't hard relative to track improvements and station construction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back