New Orleans Hotel suggestion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pennyk

Amtrak Rider
Staff member
Administator
Gathering Team Member
I am planning to spend a couple of nights in New Orleans this November and preferably want to stay in the French Quarter. I looked at reviews on Trip Advisor and decided that the Omni Royal Orleans was a good choice (great location; pretty good price). Much to my dismay, they have no availability for the 2 nights that I plan to be there. However, they have rooms the next week, but the train fares are more expensive. I would rather keep my train reservations as is and choose another hotel. I am looking for a good hotel and a somewhat reasonable price ($200 or less per night) in a safe neighborhood. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

I did some research about this recently for a September trip through New Orleans and decided upon the Royal Sonesta. It's well positioned in the French Quarter and seemed well liked by many reviewers.

I am planning to spend a couple of nights in New Orleans this November and preferably want to stay in the French Quarter. I looked at reviews on Trip Advisor and decided that the Omni Royal Orleans was a good choice (great location; pretty good price). Much to my dismay, they have no availability for the 2 nights that I plan to be there. However, they have rooms the next week, but the train fares are more expensive. I would rather keep my train reservations as is and choose another hotel. I am looking for a good hotel and a somewhat reasonable price ($200 or less per night) in a safe neighborhood. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.
Last December, we stayed about two blocks outside the quarter for $45 a night at the Country Inn and suites...had a GREAT breakfast and was a nice, spacious room. Think I used Hotels.com to find it........ Enjoy your trip - we're going back, if the SSL is still running, late next month.

I did some research about this recently for a September trip through New Orleans and decided upon the Royal Sonesta. It's well positioned in the French Quarter and seemed well liked by many reviewers.
I think we may have done similar research. Since one hotel had sold out, I figured I needed to get something asap. My second choice was the Royal Sonesta and I made a reservation there. It is a little more money than I hoped to spend. I will be in NOL on a Wednesday night and on a Thursday night. The rate for Wednesday is under $200 and the rate for Thursday is over $200, averaging $202.50. I am hoping to find a hotel as well positioned with as good reviews for a little less money. I may or may not be successful, but at least I have a back up.

Hopefully you will write a trip report and include your opinion of the hotel (since your trip is prior to my trip).

Thanks everyone for your suggestions - I will continue my research.

My son and I stayed at the Bourbon Orleans on Bourbon Street and it was wonderful..not noisy or extremely expensive. Later I stsyed by myself at the Villa Convento which is reputed to have been the "the house of the rising sun". Since you have already booked and I have already written this you can save the suggestions for another time.

My son and I stayed at the Bourbon Orleans on Bourbon Street and it was wonderful..not noisy or extremely expensive. Later I stsyed by myself at the Villa Convento which is reputed to have been the "the house of the rising sun". Since you have already booked and I have already written this you can save the suggestions for another time.
Thanks for your response. Even though I have booked, I am still looking for something better. I will continue to look into all suggestions since I have plenty of time. House of the rising sun certainly sounds intriguing. :blush:

:hi: New Orleans is Most Peoples favorite including mine! I suggest it for ther next Mid-West Gathering Site! :lol: Suggestions for Hotels: Ive found the Drury Inn, The La Quinta Suites and the various Marriot and Hilton Garden Inns around the Convention Center to be first rate and @ a Good Price! (Under $100 a night on the Right Days, this also includes Breakfast :wub: !)

My wife and I visit yearly and stay at the Provincial on Chartres Street, just downriver from Jackson Square. It's close to both Bourbon and Frenchmen Streets if you're musicically inclined. I understand that the convention / conference business has really come back this year which can really affect hotel availability.

Gord

The J.W. Marriott on Canal Street is very nice and convenient. Its 4 star rated but the prices there can run from about $85 per night to $250 per night depending upon season and what special events are going on. If you want a nice 3 star hotel in the residential area of the French Quarter try Hotel Provincial.

If you are looking to keep the price within a certain range, go to priceline.com, define the area, put in a star rating and place a bid. Typically you won't get anything below $100 per night for a 4 star and below about $70 for a 3 star htoel but you never know. FYI, the French Quarter is approximately 1 mile from Union Station in NOL and a 5 minute cab ride.

I usually stay at the Hotel St. Marie, on Toulouse a half block from Bourbon street. Rooms are not fancy, but nice and the nightly rate for the Wednesday and Thursday I looked at in November was $89. If you prepay, the rate per night was $78.

The St. Ann Marie Antoinette and the Dauphine Orleans are two other good ones.

Stay away from Lafitte Guest House. My review from June 2010 is at http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60864-d111982-Reviews-Lafitte_Guest_House-New_Orleans_Louisiana.html and appears there are numerous similar complaints.

I noticed the reviews of the French Market Inn weren't good either. Tripadvisor can be confusing to go by because in many cases and I am sure in the one above the complaints are real and numerous, but I have stayed in places that I felt were good even though there were bad reviews. Its still a gamble.

Seeing that this is an Amtrak forumj, I'm assuming you're arriving by train.

Villa Convento and some of the other locations suggested look good, but bear in mind that they're a bit of a stretch to walk from the Amtrak terminal. Of course you can catch the streetcar (nearest stop to Amtrak is Lee Circle on the St Charles line) but it's still a detour and you'd be changing streetcars twice to getv to Esplanade.

There are plenty of nice hotels both inside and just outside the part of the French Quarter facing Amtrak. That would save you a long walk.

I usually stay at the Hotel St. Marie, on Toulouse a half block from Bourbon street. Rooms are not fancy, but nice and the nightly rate for the Wednesday and Thursday I looked at in November was $89. If you prepay, the rate per night was $78.
I second the Hotel St. Marie. Stayed there last year, and it is quite nice. It is pretty quiet, too. That 1/2 block from Bourbon makes a big difference.

I think we may have done similar research. Since one hotel had sold out, I figured I needed to get something asap. My second choice was the Royal Sonesta and I made a reservation there. It is a little more money than I hoped to spend. I will be in NOL on a Wednesday night and on a Thursday night. The rate for Wednesday is under $200 and the rate for Thursday is over $200, averaging $202.50. I am hoping to find a hotel as well positioned with as good reviews for a little less money. I may or may not be successful, but at least I have a back up.

Hopefully you will write a trip report and include your opinion of the hotel (since your trip is prior to my trip).

I'll definitely write that trip up and include my experience at the Royal Sonesta. On my last jaunt through NOLA, I stayed at the Renaissance Pere Marquette and had a nice experience there. The RPM is a few blocks away from the French Quarter's center of gravity, so it was fun to be within striking distance of the clubs yet be able to saunter back to a quieter refuge in the wee hours. For this visit, I decided to hang my hat in the thick of things on Bourbon Street and see where the night takes me. :p

I'll definitely write that trip up and include my experience at the Royal Sonesta. On my last jaunt through NOLA, I stayed at the Renaissance Pere Marquette and had a nice experience there. The RPM is a few blocks away from the French Quarter's center of gravity, so it was fun to be within striking distance of the clubs yet be able to saunter back to a quieter refuge in the wee hours. For this visit, I decided to hang my hat in the thick of things on Bourbon Street and see where the night takes me. :p
I have been to New Orleans several times (in college in the 1970's) and never stayed in the French Quarter (because I was a student with no money). I want to see what I missed so many years ago. I do remember (more or less) drinking at Pat O'Briens on St. Patrick's Day in 1973 (I think). :giggle:

We had an outstanding experience at Le Richelieu Hotel on Chartres a couple of years ago. It was a cab ride from the train station, but the cost was worth it. It was a quiet part of the quarter but only a very quick walk to the not-quiet parts! :giggle: We're threatening to go back this summer for a few days, but going in on the Crescent this time instead of the CONO. (Why again is it that can't Nashville have passenger rail?)

We had an outstanding experience at Le Richelieu Hotel on Chartres a couple of years ago. It was a cab ride from the train station, but the cost was worth it. It was a quiet part of the quarter but only a very quick walk to the not-quiet parts! :giggle: We're threatening to go back this summer for a few days, but going in on the Crescent this time instead of the CONO. (Why again is it that can't Nashville have passenger rail?)
Just in case anybody is interested in an off-topic rant, I'd like to share my personal New Orleans story

I did New Orleans with a friend in 2009.

You may think this is unbelievable, but visiting from Europe I really honestly didn't know what New Orleans was like. I'd heard about the jazz and the food and I thought that's it. It's a city where people go to eat and listen to jazz music.

I'm not really much of a jazz person myself and to be honest I'm not too adventurous food wise so I thought here's just one of those cities you've got to have been to increase your life culture and be able to brag about in intellectual circles.

Anyway, the real reason we were there was we were travelling from Atlanta to Dallas an you know the Sunset Limited doesn't run every day so we had two days to kill in New Orleans.

Anyway, I couldn't have been more wrong.

The strange thing is, almost all Americans we talked to before the trip said, you'll love New Orleans because it's a bit like Europe. That was one reason not to go. We're not going to the USA to see places that are like back home. Probably what they meant is that everything is a bit quaint and nothing is really properly organised or fixed or genuinely reliable (which is what our initial impression was) and maybe that's what Americans think Europe is like. On the other hand it was maybe some post Katharina thing and New Orleans isn't really like that at all otherwise.

But anyway, all our expectations turned out to be wrong. It wasn't really anything like Europe. Okay, the architecture in the French Quarter is a delightful colonialist time warp with a lot of things that are vaguely familar but not really. Maybe because I'd seen them in old movies or something? My friend was too tired so he went to bed early so I ventured around by myself on the first night and just randomly went to places and looked at things and felt I was really beginning to understand the amazing vibrant essence of the place. As I said I don't go for jazz much but here I heard some music that was absolutely fabulous and that so blended in and seemed such a natural part of the place. Walking along the street is like tuning radio stations. You can hear different bits of tune coming out of different bars and you just walk after the one you like best, and when you've had enough, pass on to the next.

In one bar, I asked the barman what the name of the band was that was playing - and this band was so absolutely fabulous that I was sure they had to be famous somehow. He replied, do they really a name? It struck me he was right. Why come here and seek to comprehend things by categorising things and adding labels to them. The band was just part of the bigger picture, accept it and enjoy it. It's not called Big Easy for nothing.

I kept going for a very long time but at some point in the not so early hours, even New Orleans goes to sleep, and fewer and fewer bars were open and those that still were weren't too inviting or my style, so I finally decided to go back to the hotel. At that hour even Bourbon Street falls silent and is just a mass of boarded up and shuttered venues where a fresh wind blows out the remains of the day and makes way for the new. And then I realised that that wind was not only fresh but actually smelt of something more unexpected - the sea. It was the only time in my two days there that I distinctly smelt the sea but it was a wonderful feeling. Further along I a side street and there was an old African American gentlemen sitting there all by himself with a can of beer in his hands and he was singing to himself, and it struck me that although I'd heard some pretty good jazz that night, the stuff this guy was singing was some of the most moving and heartfelt and true jazz I'd heard yet - beacuse he was doing it for himself and not for some tourists.

I'm definietly coming back.

(and that despite the fact my camera was stolen and with it I lost all my pictures of Atlanta and from the Crescent, and all the camera shops on Canal Street I tried to buy a replacement from were doing their utmost best to cheat me)

Last edited by a moderator:
Having traveled to New Orleans a lot (esp during college when it was a 5-6 hour drive)... I would definetly recommend the St Peter House Hotel. I discovered it about 3 trips ago to New Orleans and have stayed there every time. It's very convienient to everything in the French Quarter and they have some of the most reasonable rates. Ask for a room with a balcony!! :)

http://www.stpeterhouse.com/

I couldn't imagine staying anywhere else!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back