New Orleans trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Have you ever stayed onboard a train during a layover?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

buck1108

Train Attendant
Hi,

I'll be traveling to New Orleans on the Texas Eagle and then the Sunset Limited in a few weeks.

I was wondering if there is any way to make the layover in San Antonio more comfortable? I remember the hard plastic

chairs last time weren't easy to sleep in for the 6 hr layover! :) Can a person stay on the train, or are there good hotels

where you can stay close by? It would be nice to have a lounge like some of the other stations have.

Also, in New Orleans, does anyone know if there are transit services that run from New Orleans to Natchitoches (or possibly

Natchez, Miss, or Memphis, TN)?

I called Natch, but they don't know of any - seems like there might be some services that would run that route, as both

are quite desirable destinations.

Thanks for any help! :)

Kind Regards,

Louis

Hi,I'll be traveling to New Orleans on the Texas Eagle and then the Sunset Limited in a few weeks.

I was wondering if there is any way to make the layover in San Antonio more comfortable? I remember the hard plastic

chairs last time weren't easy to sleep in for the 6 hr layover! :) Can a person stay on the train, or are there good hotels

where you can stay close by? It would be nice to have a lounge like some of the other stations have.

Also, in New Orleans, does anyone know if there are transit services that run from New Orleans to Natchitoches (or possibly

Natchez, Miss, or Memphis, TN)?

I called Natch, but they don't know of any - seems like there might be some services that would run that route, as both

are quite desirable destinations.

Thanks for any help! :)

Kind Regards,
Well, to your last question, Amtrak's City of New Orleans runs to Memphis, en route to Chicago, of course.

Louis

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,I'll be traveling to New Orleans on the Texas Eagle and then the Sunset Limited in a few weeks.

I was wondering if there is any way to make the layover in San Antonio more comfortable? ...the 6 hr layover!
What six hour layover? T.E. arrives 10:25 PM (from Either direction!), and S.L. departs 1:00 AM.

That makes about 2 1/2 hours in my book.

I don't know if you mean the layover in NOL or SAS. If NOL, there is no way to stay on the train. If SAS, just book on train #1 or #2 and you can stay on board at SAS.
Thanks - sorry about that - I meant San Antonio Station. Every Amtrak representative I've spoken with seemed to know nothing about how this would be done -is this on a case-by-case basis?

The layover was 6 hrs last time, due to the train being late from N.O.

Buck1108,

I'm confused here and I'm not sure that you're getting the correct info. You stated that you're going to New Orleans on the Texas Eagle, only the Texas Eagle doesn't run to New Orleans. The Sunset Limited does go to New Orleans, but then I'm not quite sure why or how the Texas Eagle comes into play.

So would you be so kind as to tell us where you're starting from, and then where you're going to if indeed it is New Orleans?

Assuming (and that's always WRONG) that you're coming from up north somewhere on the Texas Eagle to San Antonio, then switching over to the Sunset for the journey to New Orleans.

The trip to Natchitoches would be difficult - it's a beautiful place with tons of bed-breakfasts (the Louisiana Capitol of B/B), only UP passes through there, and it is freight only. It is a 4-5 hour drive from New Orleans to Natchitoches. From Greyhound's website, though they use NOUPT as a departure point, there is no service to Natchitoches.

Natchez, Ms is not served by Amtrak, You can catch the CONO to Jackson, then maybe a bus from there - that's about an hour drive.

Memphis, Tn is your best bet. The CONO stops there, we think that Union Station is now open again. But you will arrive about 10:00 PM

Buck1108,
I'm confused here and I'm not sure that you're getting the correct info. You stated that you're going to New Orleans on the Texas Eagle, only the Texas Eagle doesn't run to New Orleans. The Sunset Limited does go to New Orleans, but then I'm not quite sure why or how the Texas Eagle comes into play.

So would you be so kind as to tell us where you're starting from, and then where you're going to if indeed it is New Orleans?
Thanks - yes, I'll be going south from Fort Worth, TX on the Eagle and then switching to the Sunset to New Orleans.

Assuming (and that's always WRONG) that you're coming from up north somewhere on the Texas Eagle to San Antonio, then switching over to the Sunset for the journey to New Orleans.
The trip to Natchitoches would be difficult - it's a beautiful place with tons of bed-breakfasts (the Louisiana Capitol of B/B), only UP passes through there, and it is freight only. It is a 4-5 hour drive from New Orleans to Natchitoches. From Greyhound's website, though they use NOUPT as a departure point, there is no service to Natchitoches.

Natchez, Ms is not served by Amtrak, You can catch the CONO to Jackson, then maybe a bus from there - that's about an hour drive.

Memphis, Tn is your best bet. The CONO stops there, we think that Union Station is now open again. But you will arrive about 10:00 PM
Many thanks for your valuable input and help with this! Yes, I'll be going from Fort Worth to New Orleans through San Antonio on the Eagle and then the Sunset.

Yes, we did some research, and it looks like there isn't much or any public transit from New Orleans to Natchitoches. Maybe Jackson and then Natchez would be better.

Thanks again,

Louis

Louis,

Thanks for the reply. :)

Sadly, in your case there is no way to remain on the train. The Texas Eagle cars on your train either go to the yard for cleaning, or in the case of two cars, continue on to LA on the westbound Sunset Limited. But there are no through cars that are attached to the eastbound Sunset Limited. So your only choice is the station or a short visit to a hotel. Sorry!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back