New Rider

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Guest_Jim

I am considering the Texas Eagle or Sunset Limited from San Antonio to Los Angeles. That's a little over 30 hours, assuming it is on time. My question is if this is bearable if I just get a reserved coach seat. Can you sleep in these seats or is it esential to get a sleeper for this length trip?

The regular fare is $113 but a roomette adds $121. Is this worth it for one night ?

Yep, it is! Take it right away! It's a bargain! You'll never know if Sunset Limited is on time, it could be 9 hours late or whenever. It is only for a room, not per person, plus person fare ($113). It includes meals.

gswager said:
Yep, it is! Take it right away! It's a bargain! You'll never know if Sunset Limited is on time, it could be 9 hours late or whenever. It is only for a room, not per person, plus person fare ($113). It includes meals.
I'll second that! It is a bargin price for the room, plus as noted it includes meals. You could easily eat 40 to 50 bucks worth of food in the dining car, which is included for free with that $121 roomette upgrade price.

Then you also get a bed with sheets, blankets, & pillows, so you can actually lay down to sleep. The use of a shower, plus free coffee, juice and water during your journey.

And you'll have the piece of mind knowing that someone won't be snorring next to you at night.

Yeah, take the sleeper if you have the extra money. Thats a very good deal, and you'll be glad you did. It gets you a bed, a shower, and a private place. Plus if you went coach, assuming you ate every meal in the diner, you'd spend about $40 per day (3 meals). So in reality for around $50 more you get a bed to sleep in.

This is not to say coach is bad. There're big seats, recline pretty far, and has plenty of leg room, with leg rests. It's nice to bring a blanket though.

Chris

Take the sleeper - $121 extra is a STEAL for a thirty hour trip! As the others have noted, you will be entitled to all your meals free in the dining room. If the train is running late (which it usually is) you will even get extra meals in the dining car during the normal meal periods (if the train arrives into Los Angeles at 3pm instead of the scheduled 10am, lunch will be served around noon, on the house for the sleeper passengers). You will be glad you opted for the upgrade - it makes a huge difference for a trip of that length.

jccollins said:
Take the sleeper - $121 extra is a STEAL for a thirty hour trip!  As the others have noted, you will be entitled to all your meals free in the dining room.  If the train is running late (which it usually is) you will even get extra meals in the dining car during the normal meal periods (if the train arrives into Los Angeles at 3pm instead of the scheduled 10am, lunch will be served around noon, on the house for the sleeper passengers).  You will be glad you opted for the upgrade - it makes a huge difference for a trip of that length.
Speaking of extra free meals. When I was on the California Zephyr which was a few hours late there was an announcement for all sleeper passengers to return to their rooms. Then we were told to go the the dining car where we had "leftover stew".

denmarks said:
Then we were told to go the the dining car where we had "leftover stew".
Either I was riding on that same day or the stew is a more common occurrence than I had thought! :lol:

Back