New route announced!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I knew right away that it wasn't real since train #111 is a Regional train that only runs on weekends.
I knew it since http://hiddenfrontier.uk.lttmirror.com/ROB/Amtrak_P111.pdf is not from an Amtrak web site.

It resembled the first step in a typical phishing attempts :) Only if it were a real phishing attempt the page that came up would look not like a fake Amtrak time table but be a web page and a few things it would typically want you to fill in would be stuff like your name, birth date and social security number or credit card number, and such in order to get 100,000 AGR points or some such..

It worked on my dad :lol: I printed out the timetable and told him it was cheaper then the starlight, so we should switch to the new route.

Thanks for the laugh.

It worked on my dad :lol: I printed out the timetable and told him it was cheaper then the starlight, so we should switch to the new route.
Yes. That timetable was really well done!

Regarding the Sunset Limited route to New Orleans (According to info on the NARP website) its says:

Today, the tracks, signals, and bridges have long since been repaired, and freight trains are currently operating along the entire route. However, Amtrak’s Sunset Limited train service has yet to resume east of New Orleans.

Yes. That timetable was really well done!

Regarding the Sunset Limited route to New Orleans (According to info on the NARP website) its says:

Today, the tracks, signals, and bridges have long since been repaired, and freight trains are currently operating along the entire route. However, Amtrak’s Sunset Limited train service has yet to resume east of New Orleans.
cause amtrak's management is stupid and retarded.

That's the reason the Sunset East has not been restored? Not lack of cars, lack of operating funding, something like that? Just "stupid and retarded" management?

Last edited by a moderator:
YES AMTRAK HAD THE EQUIPMENT TO RUN IT BEFORE KARTINA THEY HAD NO PROBLEMS RUNNING IT BEFORE THE HURRICANE. AFTER THAT THEY WERE GIVIN PERMISSION BY CSX TO RUN THE TRAIN AGAIN AND AMTRAK SAID WE WILL RUN IT WHEN READY.

For a brief second, the briefest of seconds, I was hopeful. But then... I realized it is 4/1/10. And I shall not be fooled. xD
By the way, I'm sorry I saw through an April fools joke so carefully prepared that quick.
Great catch. The post could have eaten up a load of board energy with replies.
I loved it! I don't know why "board energy" can't be spent on something intended to be fun.

Rob_c said:
Well the Carson and Colorado RR ran from Keeler (Lone Pine) all the way up to Hazen, NV and from a point just south of there was Churchille, NV a short hop from Virginia City where it was to connect with the Virgina and Truckee which ran from Reno to Carson City and Virginia City.
Hazen to Mojave was planned to be a major part of the Southern Pacific's mainline trackage (standard gauge was laid and some of it is still used to day from Mojave to Lone Pine) before hard economic times set in and the route abandoned for the more circuitous Donner and Techahapi routes to Los Angeles.
Whoops, you are correct. I was looking at a 1948 atlas which was more or less the zenith of the US rail system. However, the Laws-Tonopah Jct. line had already been abandoned by this time.

Here's a map of the full C&C route.

Cool map!

There also was a connection from Goldfield to the UP and ATSF lines east of Barstow before that was removed but I don't know as much about that route.

I *believe* the SP (now UP) line from Mojave to Trona is still in service via Ridgecrest, but I haven't been out that way recently.

There would definitely be some traffic nowadays with some of these communities if the lines were still active for a hypothetical Prospector route I would think. The winter runs to Mammoth area alone from Los Angeles would be a heck of a lot better than the 8 hour drive! Throw in connections to Tahoe and pick up big population centers like eastern Washington, Bend OR and Reno and it makes even more sense. IMHO.

And as a railfan, how cool would it be to go through the Keddie Wye and over the hi-line?

Rob

I'm glad I finally downloaded this and looked at it... Excellent, and a good idea.

Had others not already spoiled the surprise, I'd have figured out it was a prank when you had it stopping at BUR on the way from PMD to LAX.

...for which they'd have to stop at BBK, and back through Burbank Junction and the mile or so from there to BUR.

:lol: :lol:

Thanks for all the enjoyable hard work!

Chris

Your welcome! Was a fun little project.

I didn't realize until after I made it that BUR was after the coast line split. D'oh!

The Burbank Airport seems like a logical stop, still not sure why the Starlight stops in Van Nuys instead of BUR.

I didn't realize until after I made it that BUR was after the coast line split. D'oh!

The Burbank Airport seems like a logical stop, still not sure why the Starlight stops in Van Nuys instead of BUR.
Most likely because VNC is staffed and BUR is not. (Though I guess that's specious, as the CS used to stop at GDL at a time when it was no longer staffed.)

Most likely because VNC is staffed and BUR is not. (Though I guess that's specious, as the CS used to stop at GDL at a time when it was no longer staffed.)
Not staffed is an understatement. It is just a canopy and some concrete benches. CS stops at VNC because it is more than 5 miles (about 20 mikes) from LAUPT and in the middle of the almost 2 million potential passengers and it is staffed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back