New Route for Sunset Limited

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MiniMax

Train Attendant
An Amtrak Guest Rewards rep just told me that as of today Train 2 is taking a new route to New Orleans. This would bypass the disabled Brazos River Bridge west of Houston. The "Check Status" site lists the Train 2 that departs tonight from Los Angeles arriving ahead of schedule into New Orleans. Does anyone have an idea of where this new route for the Sunset Limited might go?

Every route I looked at uses the Richmond point to cross the Brazos. Don't see a route that would save time unless they bypass Houston.

Last edited by a moderator:
UP from San Antonio to Round Rock, Taylor, Valley Junction (near Hearne), Bryan, Navasota, Hempstead and into Houston. Certainly not shorter or faster, but there is a lot of padding now in the SAS-HOS run. As for getting into NOL early, they always say that until the train is actually running a few hours late a few stops short of it's destination.

Grandpa is correct about this routing, the Sunset and Eagle have both used parts of this Route before during Flooding in Texas.

And it's a very Slow Route with Freight Traffic and rough tracks, guaranteed the Sunset will be late into Houston and New Orleans if this happens!

Grandpa is correct about this routing, the Sunset and Eagle have both used parts of this Route before during Flooding in Texas.

And it's a very Slow Route with Freight Traffic and rough tracks, guaranteed the Sunset will be late into Houston and New Orleans if this happens!
Plus, I'd imagine most of the UP Freight from Houston west is detouring via the Navasota Sub as well, compounding the freight traffic.

It's too bad that track configuration isn't able to take it down the BNSF Mykawa Sub to Alvin, and then back up the BNSF Galveston Sub to Rosenberg, then back onto the Glidden, as the BNSF bridge over the Brazos is still operational.

Is this going to be permanent or just until the flooding has receded?

KCS is projecting a June 27 completion date for the trestle refurbishment. We'll see...........

So far transitdocs is showing it following the normal route. Not the alternate route north through Round Rock and Taylor mentioned earlier.

It is possible that it will be diverting onto BNSF at Rosenberg (actually CP SA035 AFAICT) just short of Richmond and get back onto UP at Arcola and back onto the original route at Pierce Jct. Just a wild a$$ guess on my part looking at the railroad map of the area.

There still are a couple of possible routes that avoid Richmond in the way 2 is going. One goes north at Flatonia to Caldwell, Somerville and Navasota. The other is the previously mentioned Galveston sub. The Galveston sub is shorter but needs the co-operation of both KCS and BNSF.

We shall see. :)

I see 2 left SAS on time going east on its regular route and is projected to arrive NOL on time. it will be interesting to see what route 2 takes. Hoping the delay in the detour isn't a major one so the SL can be operational.

There still are a couple of possible routes that avoid Richmond in the way 2 is going. One goes north at Flatonia to Caldwell, Somerville and Navasota. The other is the previously mentioned Galveston sub. The Galveston sub is shorter but needs the co-operation of both KCS and BNSF.

We shall see. :)
Yup I did notice the Flatonia one too in my adventures in a Texas railroad map :)

Whelp, it's past Flatonia, so looks like SOMEBODY might be sneaking out of work here shortly to go catch some Amtrak action in Arcola. ;)

Aaaand onto the BNSF Galveston Sub it goes, presumably heading for Alvin and the Mykawa sub, and then a reversing move to back to the station in Houston once it gets to town. Will have to schedule a detour trip on this one and collect some rare mileage.

And now the Amtrak site is down , so no track-a-train

Update: Track-A-Train is back up

How long is that backup from Carr St to Amtrak station? A mile o two? Or is it more?
At least as long as the back up into New Orleans, probably a little bit longer.

Out at lunch now, got my Whataburger and sitting by the crossing in Pearland. Hope I haven't missed it!

Well, if you missed it you probably have all next week to see it again. Plus three chances to catch the westbound. ;)

How long is that backup from Carr St to Amtrak station? A mile o two? Or is it more?
At least as long as the back up into New Orleans, probably a little bit longer.

Out at lunch now, got my Whataburger and sitting by the crossing in Pearland. Hope I haven't missed it!
You've got good taste. I hope there's BACON on it! :p

A1 Thick & Hearty burger ALWAYS comes with bacon. ^_^ Plus, as it was approaching 90, one has to upgrade to the obligatory Root Beer Shake... ;)

JoeBas, Did you get to see the trainset? Did it carry revenue customers? It's coming back today as #1 and left on time from NOL.

No, unfortunately I missed it in Pearland and didn't know because track a train was down - bleh. Might try and catch it again tomorrow at T&NO jct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back