New route in Northern California

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It could leave LAX around 9 PM, be at Emeryville by 8:30 AM, and Sacramento around 10:30 AM.
Ideally the train divides at San Jose and a SFO section uses the Caltrain tracks to run into SFO proper while the rest of the train continues via EMY.
I know, pipe dream.
That has been proposed by others a few years ago. The idea then AIR of putting downtown SFO cars on back of next Caltrain. EMUs will now be the Caltrain standard by 2026 -2027 so cannot connect to them. A solution of either hooking on a Gilroy train or run own train to SFO.

That has been proposed by others a few years ago. The idea then AIR of putting downtown SFO cars on back of next Caltrain. EMUs will now be the Caltrain standard by 2026 -2027 so cannot connect to them. A solution of either hooking on a Gilroy train or run own train to SFO.

Perhaps in someone’s fantasy world.

Even if Caltrain stuck with their current fleet, there is zero chance any commuter operator would ever entertain hooking sleepers to the back of their train and dragging the consist down the railroad.

caltrain is going to run a mixed fleet for a while, express will be one of the newly rebuild F40 or MP36 pulling bi levels

Here was a late 2020s mostly realistic timetable I made for California.
1689713468775.png

1689713283887.png1689713296464.png

1689713404679.png

Last edited:
I know quite a few people who don't like the plan. There is a connector track which would allow all trains to run Sac Valley to Chico which decouples it from Valley rail and allows the trains to run more often while still offering a transfer to Valley rail at Natomas.

The link to Transitmag above takes you to Trainorders.com. Here is a direct link:
https://www.masstransitmag.com/rail...ns-for-chico-passenger-train-nears-completion

Back