New Show on FOX Tonight

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back to Atomic Train... my favorite part is when the Conductors on the Caboose (already funny) talk about how anyone could possibly stop the train... while LEANING on a HANDBRAKE!!!

Ha.

It couldn't possibly be worse than Supertrain.
How bad was Atomic Train?
well

1.brake fluid leaking from air hoses lol

2. brake lines came disconnected making the train a runaway cause no brakes.

thats what i know what do you know.
Only to avoid it at all costs.

Here's a list of goofs at IMDB. Too many to list here.

IMO the worst one; "During the entire film, many different attempts to prevent a nuclear disaster where attempted. One thing they didn't attempt, was to simply disconnect the box car."
IMDb user reviews for Atomic Train

Complete Stupidity, 24 January 2001Author: Seth Hostetler ([email protected]mailto:[email protected]) from USA

Working for a railroad in train operations as an engineer, I know how trains work. Several things are wrong with this movie and personally it surpasses what I know as being just plain stupid to reach a new plateau of stupidity and retardation of normal people which I've never known before. For example:

a - when a brake pipe hose between two cars breaks its connection, the rapid drop in break pipe pressure will cause a train to immediately go into emergency and stop. (in the movie they were trying to put it back together to try to stop the train)

b - when a train has electrical problems, such as even a weak battery, safety systems will cause an emergency application of the brakes. This did not happen in the movie.

c - I have never in all my railroading days seen a boxcar with railings on the side and extruding steel for a footwalk to gain access to the door.

d - when the train was creeping at walking speed at the top of the mountain, the people could have EASILY walked to the cars and tied hand brakes stopping the train. Even if all the hand brakes failed (which is an impossibility due to required initial terminal testing on the trains brakes before departure from a yard) a large limb from a nearby tree could have been used to stop the train. *I've done it while working in the yards using a 2x4*

e - when the engine was attached to the rear end and trying to pull the train to a stop, use of dynamic brakes couldn't create so much "strain" as to break a knuckle (the coupling mechanism in a coupler) as depicted in the movie. The knuckle part of a coupler is solid steel, and given the circumstances would be EXTREMELY difficult to break.

f - the crew on the caboose had control of the emergency brake valve on the caboose, and could have placed the train into emergency from the rear.
Did somebody here write that review?

also the fact that trains don't use brake fluid like in a car. cause it showed the same train parked in the yard leaking brake fluid.

also the fact that trains don't use brake fluid like in a car. cause it showed the same train parked in the yard leaking brake fluid.
Can you say "Super-Train" ( you are lucky if you DON'T remember that abomination of a tv show decades ago....... When I saw the promo for this, that was the first thing I thought of).............. YUCK!

SuperTrain Show

Didn't they also forget the emergency fuel cutoff in Atomic Train? Or did they explain that one away?

I remember another movie, made for TV IIRC about hijackers taking over a passenger train (I think in Canada, not sure... single level gear uniformally painted consist). The whole train was wonderful looking with shiny power up front but when they had scenes where they crashed into things the switched to B-roll from Runaway Train and suddenly a pair of freshly painted (F7s IIRC) became a dull looking GP40, F7, and two GP7s, then back and forth.

No source of power. No diesel exhaust, no engine, no overhead electric wire, no third rail.
The Tesla Roadster apparently is capable of going almost 250 miles (presumably at roughly the same speed as a conventional train) on batteries. I don't think that's sufficient energy density (kilowatt hours per pound) to make a 220 MPH trip from San Francisco to Los Angeles without recharging multiple times in the middle of the trip, but I bet we're going to see some battery powered commuter rail within ten years.

No source of power. No diesel exhaust, no engine, no overhead electric wire, no third rail.
. . . but I bet we're going to see some battery powered commuter rail within ten years.
If I were a gambler, I would be inclined to take you up on this, so long as slow for a short distance is not included. (The San Francisco electric trolley buses can run a short distance with the poles down, primarily for the purpose of getting to the side of the road if the poles dewire.)

As to overlooking the obvious, thank you, MikeM. Yeah, simply turn off the power and after a few miles the train will coast to a stop.

Oh, by the way, the quick glimpses of the map appeared to be having the train run up the coast line, not up the valley lke the real Calif HSR is supposed to do.

And in breaking news....... It's a TV show, you do realise it's not actually real life?! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back