new Surfliner express

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sportbiker

Lead Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
Train 563 is an early-morning daily train from San Diego to LAUS. Beginning Feb 15, it runs weekends-only. In its place on weekdays is a new train, 563, that skips five stations: Capistrano, Laguna Niguel, Santa Ana, Orange and Fullerton. Both 565 and 563 depart at 7:05, but whereas 565 arrives in L.A. at 9:50, the new 563 arrives at 9:33.

The only way I found this out was through a service alert when I was booking a different trip. But other than that, this seems to be a stealth change. Anyone have further info? Is this a market test? Is it somehow related to track or station work?

Or related to some self-serving politician pushing his own view of service planning.

I'm curious, though. You say this was a "stealth" change even though you got a service alert when booking a trip. What exactly were you expecting? Front-page ads in every newspaper? A guy standing on the street corner, shouting about the change?

Train 563 is an early-morning daily train from San Diego to LAUS. Beginning Feb 15, it runs weekends-only. In its place on weekdays is a new train, 563, that skips five stations: Capistrano, Laguna Niguel, Santa Ana, Orange and Fullerton. Both 565 and 563 depart at 7:05, but whereas 565 arrives in L.A. at 9:50, the new 563 arrives at 9:33.

The only way I found this out was through a service alert when I was booking a different trip. But other than that, this seems to be a stealth change. Anyone have further info? Is this a market test? Is it somehow related to track or station work?
As for the announcement of this, Amtrak has advertised it on the trains, in the stations and on the website. Ideally it would also do ads in the SoCal media market if unlimited funds were available. They aren't.

To the more interesting question of what this may mean.

This is not the first time that Amtrak has tried express and semi-express skip-stop service between San Diego and LA.

In the 1990s, the last time the service was offered (if I remember correctly), there were two trains, one each way, which skipped several stations in Orange County. The service did not attract enough riders and lasted only about a year. At the time, the explanation was that Amtrak was losing too many passengers wanting to board/alight at Orange County intermediate stops.

Now, with substantial (hourly or less) Metrolink service between LA and Orange County stops in the morning period, there may be less need for an early-morning Amtrak train to stop at most of the same Orange County stations. The M-F train being replaced, 565 with 563, essentially is sandwiched between Metrolink runs and often is delayed. So Amtrak could be testing whether the number of riders between LA and San Diego County stops has grown sufficiently to justify skip-stop service, as well as to offer more reliable running times. I suspect Irvine is retained because many San Diego North County residents commute to high-tech jobs in that area; Anaheim because of the Disneyland connection.

Non-stop service between LA and San Diego was provided in the 1950s by Santa Fe, using Budd self-propelled rail diesel cars on a two hour, 30-minute schedule. They were very popular until January 22, 1956 when the engineer on one run blacked out leaving Los Angeles and accelerated the consist to 75 miles an hour on the old Redondo Junction Curve instead of slowing to 15 miles per hour as required. It was (and still is) the worst rail accident in California history in terms of deaths, with 31 killed, as well as hundreds injured. I remember, as a little kid, watching the first live remote TV news broadcast done in LA, by KTLA Channel 5.

(By the way, the Redondo Junction curve was replaced with a graceful curving bridge in 2000 when the Alameda Freight Corridor was built between the downtown Hobart Yard and the Port of Los Angeles/Port of Long Beach and tracks realigned in the area. It's still a 30 mph speed restriction, though.)

I'm curious, though. You say this was a "stealth" change even though you got a service alert when booking a trip. What exactly were you expecting? Front-page ads in every newspaper? A guy standing on the street corner, shouting about the change?
Ignoring your hyperbole, I would expect something marketing-related like a press release on either the Amtrak site and/or the Amtrak California site, or a banner in rotation on one of the sites, or that one of the press agencies (eg, PR Newswire) would have been given notice so that Google could index it, or some other scheme to let the public know there's something New! New! New!. In my book, service alerts do not count as marketing. And, notices on-board hit only current passengers, not the members of the non-riding public who might be tempted by the New! express service if only they knew about it.

Ignoring your hyperbole, I would expect something marketing-related like a press release on either the Amtrak site and/or the Amtrak California site, or a banner in rotation on one of the sites, or that one of the press agencies (eg, PR Newswire) would have been given notice so that Google could index it, or some other scheme to let the public know there's something New! New! New!. In my book, service alerts do not count as marketing. And, notices on-board hit only current passengers, not the members of the non-riding public who might be tempted by the New! express service if only they knew about it.
There is a Amtrak service alert about the change on the Amtrak website at http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=Page&pagename=am%2FLayout&p=1237608345018&cid=1237608335997. Since the change does not take effect until February 15, Amtrak and/or Amtrak California may be holding off on a formal press release until a few days before the schedule change so it a fresh item in the news and potential new riders can take advantage in the near term, not until almost a month later.

There is a Amtrak service alert about the change on the Amtrak website at http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=Page&pagename=am%2FLayout&p=1237608345018&cid=1237608335997. Since the change does not take effect until February 15, Amtrak and/or Amtrak California may be holding off on a formal press release until a few days before the schedule change so it a fresh item in the news and potential new riders can take advantage in the near term, not until almost a month later.
It is possible they're holding off until closer to the 15th. I hope that's what it is.

I wonder why they stop at Anaheim and not Fullerton. I would definitely trade Anaheim for Fullerton.

I hope it does well, but I don't see this stopping pattern lighting the world on fire. It only saves about 12 minutes. With double-tracking and the Miramar tunnel project, this route would really see ridership explode. I don't think we should even think about adding express trains until those upgrades are completed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder why they stop at Anaheim and not Fullerton. I would definitely trade Anaheim for Fullerton.

I hope it does well, but I don't see this stopping pattern lighting the world on fire. It only saves about 12 minutes. With double-tracking and the Miramar tunnel project, this route would really see ridership explode. I don't think we should even think about adding express trains until those upgrades are completed.
Anaheim because of Disneyland importance, both boarding and alighting. Fullerton is probably skipped because during the morning rush hours, it has Metrolink service to LA about five times an hour, so the Amtrak stop attracts relatively few boarders.

If the train runs on time, 2 hours and 28 minutes, it will be the fastest published schedule between the two cities in a half century!

But you're right, the line needs full double-tracking in San Diego County and the tunnel to eliminate the twisting time-consuming route through the canyons between Del Mar and San Diego city.

Regional transportation planners have estimated the total cost for double-tracking and a tunnel at about $2 billion. That's a fraction of the money that will be spent on high-speed rail that, even if successful in its initial concept, won't come to San Diego for at least another 15 years! And high-speed rail would run inland from San Diego to Riverside, then west to Los Angeles, meaning it will bring no benefit for the thousands of daily riders between San Diego and Orange County, nor bring any relief to the overcrowded Interstate 5, which state planners now want to expand to as many as 14 lanes at a cost of billions of dollars and environmental damage to the coastal area.

The expenditure of a fraction of the high-speed rail funds on the LA-San Diego line would mean a rail line truly competitive with driving, similar to the Baby Bullet Caltrain between San Jose and San Francisco.

In the meantime, the Surfliner will continue to (mostly) chug along, save for this new attempt at semi=express which may or may not last long.

Anaheim because of Disneyland importance, both boarding and alighting. Fullerton is probably skipped because during the morning rush hours, it has Metrolink service to LA about five times an hour, so the Amtrak stop attracts relatively few boarders.
I was wondering because Fullerton has higher Amtrak ridership than Anaheim, and I doubt Disneyland is a big trip generator for Amtrak because the City of Anaheim has made it difficult to get over to the resort area from Anaheim Station.

People who have been on ART have reported it to be an awful experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back