new to AGR; asking for review

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

penfrydd

Service Attendant
So, I have the AGR Mastercard, and the points are piling up with that.

After reading some of these threads, it's obvious that there are bonus points from certain vendors. From what I understand, one must start at the bottom right of the AGR site to enter the shopping portal. Let's say it's Home Depot...I then click on the Home Depot icon and I'm told that I'm leaving the AGR site. I can do my online Home Depot shopping and proceed to checkout.

Is that all that I need to do to get my bonus points? Is there anywhere where they ask for my number or anything to get the bonus?

I'll be waiting for Black Friday weekend, as I see that it's a special 5X bonus weekend.

Any guidance, or confirmation of my understanding would be appreciated.

penfrydd

You MUST start by clicking thru the Points for Shopping portal first. (You can not go directly to homedepot.com, bestbuy.com or Sears.com directly and earn AGR points.) when it says "You are now leaving AGR", it just means that a "cookie" was placed on that shopping visit so you can earn AGR points. There is no need to enter your AGR number - it is embedded in that cookie!

When it says "You are now leaving AGR", it just means that a "cookie" was placed on that shopping visit so you can earn AGR points.
Actually it just means you're leaving AGR's website.

There's no easy way to tell if the cookie itself made it across correctly.

Some of the circumstances that can kill the cookie process include...

* Using a browser other than IE

* Having another cookie active

* Entering a manual coupon code

* Buying during a sale with automatic cookies

* Using a script blocker or ad blocker

* Using overzealous security and/or firewall settings

Etc.

I get my extra points about half the time.

The other half are probably lost to one of the conditions listed above.

I can control some of these conditions at home but at work it's not always possible.

Thanks for the tips! I failed to receive my points on buying my new Lenovo computer, possibly due to using Firefox. I had to go through a long email discussion with AGR before they could "locate the click" and give me my points (which they finally did, yay! It was sure nice because it was 3x on a relatively large purchase).

On other discussion threads, I've seen advice to take a screenshot on the AGR site, and a screenshot when you click through to the vendor site. I'm going to do that in future (just paste the screenshots into a Word document, and keep it in my receipts folder in the computer). I'd add, if they need to locate your click, it helps to know the time and day you made the purchase. That's what got my points for me.

The new AGR website gives you a record of the stores you clicked through AGR. You have to click through AGR's shopping portal, stay on the website on the same tab, and do not close until you are done.

It should not matter what browser or adblocker or whatever.

Last edited by a moderator:
The new AGR website gives you a record of the stores you clicked through AGR. You have to click through AGR's shopping portal, stay on the website on the same tab, and do not close until you are done.

It should not matter what browser or adblocker or whatever.
Does the AGR website show you which purchases qualified for extra points with the cookies intact?

Over the years I've had thousands of online shopping points go missing just because something wasn't 100% right with tracking cookies.

What was wrong? Nobody knew and so far as I could tell it simply wasn't their problem in their minds.

But over the years I've discovered several potential pitfalls that can be mitigated with a little extra effort.

AGR doesn't have the time or interest to test every internet browser with every vendor and ad blocker extension.

So it make sense to use something as common and basic as possible if you want the points to post.

Back