New trip plan

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stntylr

OBS Chief
Today I got my new Amtrak Polo, black with a pocket and the Amtrak logo on it, in the mail.

It's a cool shirt and I need a trip to show it off.

I do have a restriction. Due to short staffing at my job I can't take Friday or Saturday night off. Apparently doing so will trigger the Mayan 2012 prophesy.

So I had to come up with a plan that would maximize travel and still get me home in 5 days.

Last year I had an East Coast run which would have fit so this year I'm going west.

Et off work 0730 Sunday morning

Dep Sunday TE Temple to Springfield

Monday bus from Springfield to Galesburg.

SWC Galesburg to L.A. Arriving Wed morning.

Wed night SL/TE back to Temple Arriving 1125 AM friday morning

Go back to work 2330 Friday night.

How about it?

Plus there is 13 hour layover in L.A. What can I do there. I need to keep costs down.

Perhaps Dr, Sheldon Cooper (Big Bang Theory) can plan a fun train day for me.

Today I got my new Amtrak Polo, black with a pocket and the Amtrak logo on it, in the mail.

It's a cool shirt and I need a trip to show it off.

I do have a restriction. Due to short staffing at my job I can't take Friday or Saturday night off. Apparently doing so will trigger the Mayan 2012 prophesy.

So I had to come up with a plan that would maximize travel and still get me home in 5 days.

Last year I had an East Coast run which would have fit so this year I'm going west.

Et off work 0730 Sunday morning

Dep Sunday TE Temple to Springfield

Monday bus from Springfield to Galesburg.

SWC Galesburg to L.A. Arriving Wed morning.

Wed night SL/TE back to Temple Arriving 1125 AM friday morning

Go back to work 2330 Friday night.

How about it?

Plus there is 13 hour layover in L.A. What can I do there. I need to keep costs down.

There is enough time in LA to ride down to San Diego and back - great ride along the coast.

I love that show. I think Amtrak needs to get them to write an episode about Sheldon celebrating NTD.
To quote the genius himself-

"I always tell people if you only have one day in Los Angeles, make it a Train Day. The fun starts with brunch at Carney’s in Studio City, a hot dog stand in a converted railroad dining car. Next stop, Travel Town, an outdoor museum featuring forty-three railroad engines, cars, and other rolling stock from the 1880′s to the 1930′s. Finally, we’re off to the glitz and glamour of Hollywood for dinner at — that’s right — the Hollywood Carney’s, a hot dog stand in a different converted railroad dining car."

(Season 4, Episode 6)

He didn't mention Phillipes?
huh.gif
He would never make it here on AU!
laugh.gif

Stan; Since you are doing another Marathon Trip, I'd think that a break from being on the Train would be in order so suggest the following: Stroll over to Phillipes for Breakfast,back to Union Station and hop on the Red Line to Hollywood, check out Tinseltown, have Lunch @ one of the Hot Dog or Burger Joints (they really are some great places in Hollywood!), ride back downtown to the Pershing Square Stop, ride the Angel Flight Railway, then check out downtown LA, it's in Transition but lots of cool Old Buildings, new Places and Plenty of Street Characters around. Grab some Supper in one of the joints Downtown,(plenty of places!!) then back to Union Station for some Railfanning before catching the Sunset Ltd.

The Surfliner down to SAN IS a Fantastic Trip :cool: as has been said, if you haven't had enough Train riding, Id say have Breakfast @ Phillipes, then hop a Train down the Coast!

Dont think youd have enough time for a Ball Game @ Dodger Stadiunm or in San Diego but these are both really nice places to catch a Game!! :wub:

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally, we're off to the glitz and glamour of Hollywood for dinner at — that's right — the Hollywood Carney's, a hot dog stand in a different converted railroad dining car."
Only problem is that there's no Carney's in Hollywood -- the other Carney's location is on the Sunset Strip in West Hollywood.

Stan; Since you are doing another Marathon Trip, I'd think that a break from being on the Train would be in order so suggest the following: Stroll over to Phillipes for Breakfast,back to Union Station and hop on the Red Line to Hollywood, check out Tinseltown, have Lunch @ one of the Hot Dog or Burger Joints (they really are some great places in Hollywood!), ride back downtown to the Pershing Square Stop, ride the Angel Flight Railway, then check out downtown LA, it's in Transition but lots of cool Old Buildings, new Places and Plenty of Street Characters around. Grab some Supper in one of the joints Downtown,(plenty of places!!) then back to Union Station for some Railfanning before catching the Sunset Ltd.

The Surfliner down to SAN IS a Fantastic Trip :cool: as has been said, if you haven't had enough Train riding, Id say have Breakfast @ Phillipes, then hop a Train down the Coast!

Dont think youd have enough time for a Ball Game @ Dodger Stadiunm or in San Diego but these are both really nice places to catch a Game!! :wub:
Sounds like a good plan. I thought about going to San Diego but after 40 hours on the SWC and another two day trip ahead maybe I should do some walking around.

Personally I prefer SAN for general walking--lots of nice things to see right around the train station. If you arrive early enough and have good connections to/from SAN, then I'd ride there and enjoy the harbor and Downtown on foot.

Remember you can transfer at FUL from the Chief, though you might not get your first choice of seats.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back