New Tunnel Under Construction

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As for removing all problems with current platforms, these are the sort of statements that finally convinced me that those that espouse such ideas have no idea what they were talking about. How do you exactly remove all current problems without increasing the net platform area per platform track?
When you get around to it, Jis, look at LIRRs platforms. They are no wider than Amtrak's or NJ Transit's. They are just considerably less cluttered. If you remove the clutter, excessive intrusions, garbage cans, and so on, you can make the platform a heck of a lot more usable.

All of Moynihan Station and Penn Station put together does not increase track capacity one bit, and these guys keep insisting that they can shove 25 more tph through that mess from a new tunnel in addition to the traffic from the existing tunnel. It would really be nice to know what brand they are smoking.
You can expand the current station somewhat, increase the amount of tail tracks, and so on. Look at Alternative G. Alternative G was a much saner plan than this one.

As for removing all problems with current platforms, these are the sort of statements that finally convinced me that those that espouse such ideas have no idea what they were talking about. How do you exactly remove all current problems without increasing the net platform area per platform track?
When you get around to it, Jis, look at LIRRs platforms. They are no wider than Amtrak's or NJ Transit's. They are just considerably less cluttered. If you remove the clutter, excessive intrusions, garbage cans, and so on, you can make the platform a heck of a lot more usable.
I am there almost every weekend. My considered opinion still is that people who think NYP can be made as good as a newly designed station using modern station design standards for commuter traffic are blowing smoke. Of course things can be improved a bit, but not nearly enough to enable the kind of traffic flow that would be need to accommodate an additional 25tph.

All of Moynihan Station and Penn Station put together does not increase track capacity one bit, and these guys keep insisting that they can shove 25 more tph through that mess from a new tunnel in addition to the traffic from the existing tunnel. It would really be nice to know what brand they are smoking.
You can expand the current station somewhat, increase the amount of tail tracks, and so on. Look at Alternative G. Alternative G was a much saner plan than this one.
Surely you mean Alternative S if all you are talking of is tail track etc.? As has been discussed elsewhere (mostly on railroad.net - by people who are actually designing or have participated in designing this or similar stuff), all that tail track gives you is a place to park a train that becomes unserviceable. They are pretty useless for just turning a train around unless they a re a loop like at GCT.

None of that gives you anywhere near the additional capacity needed to handle an additional 25tph. And by their own admission, even Alt G would not give the additional capacity required to handle 25tph. Frankly it remains to be seen if NJT will be able to handle 25tph in NYPSE. But that would be mostly NJT competence or lack thereof, since similar stations in other parts of the world appear to have no problem handling a bit more than 6tph per platform track(e.g Tokyo Central's Keiyo Line subterranean station operated by JR East).

Last edited by a moderator:
I am there almost every weekend. My considered opinion still is that people who think NYP can be made as good as a newly designed station using modern station design standards for commuter traffic are blowing smoke. Of course things can be improved a bit, but not nearly enough to enable the kind of traffic flow that would be need to accommodate an additional 25tph.

Surely you mean Alternative S if all you are talking of is tail track etc.? As has been discussed elsewhere (mostly on railroad.net - by people who are actually designing or have participated in designing this or similar stuff), all that tail track gives you is a place to park a train that becomes unserviceable. They are pretty useless for just turning a train around unless they a re a loop like at GCT.

None of that gives you anywhere near the additional capacity needed to handle an additional 25tph. And by their own admission, even Alt G would not give the additional capacity required to handle 25tph. Frankly it remains to be seen if NJT will be able to handle 25tph in NYPSE. But that would be mostly NJT competence or lack thereof, since similar stations in other parts of the world appear to have no problem handling a bit more than 6tph per platform track(e.g Tokyo Central's Keiyo Line subterranean station operated by JR East).
I did mean Alternative G, meaning the routing through to Grand Central Terminal. In addition, I sincerely doubt there is demand for an additional 25 trains per hour. Trains pull in from NJCL and NEC during rush hour at a rate of one every 10 minutes each, and MidTOWN Direct is about the same frequency, IIRC. RVL doesn't haul that many passengers, and the number that want to continue to 34th Street is fairly limited- most of them take Path. Actually, it shocks me that any people don't take Path since it is much cheaper.

You can handle expresses from Bayhead Branch trains, but how many would that be? Only about 2 per hour head to Hoboken. If you cut Hoboken trains to one an hour, and put 2 in to Penn, that's 3 trains taking care of Bayhead per hour (2 in, 1 out). RVL currently hands off 4 trains per hour to NWK, so figure 4 trains there- 3 in bound and 1 out bound, 2 terminate in NWK. There are 8 trains per hour on Main/Bergen/Jervis, but not all of them will be rerouted to NYP. Figure 3 trains (one each) will go to HOB and 6 (two each) will go to Penn. Figure 8 on MBJ- 6 in, 2 out. Monclair-Boonton currently sends one train an hour to Penn. Expanding service... let say 4- 3 in, 1 out. M&E currently gets what it needs, but lets figure on 2 express trains to Hackettstown- one in, one out.

That's 21, not 25. Re-configuring Penn to better move trains to Sunnyside could cover most of that if you built another pair of tunnels. Plus you really don't need much in the way of expanded service that I factored in- longer trains would cover it.

I'm pretty sure Pascack isn't even included. (Please correct me if I'm wrong!)

In addition, I sincerely doubt there is demand for an additional 25 trains per hour. Trains pull in from NJCL and NEC during rush hour at a rate of one every 10 minutes each, and MidTOWN Direct is about the same frequency, IIRC. RVL doesn't haul that many passengers, and the number that want to continue to 34th Street is fairly limited- most of them take Path. Actually, it shocks me that any people don't take Path since it is much cheaper.
More people don't take path because it's not a one seat ride. If you're headed to lower Manhattan, then fine, people may be willing to deal with the extra 20 minutes of ride time and the transfer between two trains. But otherwise, if one is headed for Mid-town or further north, the few bucks saved by getting on PATH aren't worth the three seat ride and the extra 30 to 40 minutes of ride time.

You can handle expresses from Bayhead Branch trains, but how many would that be? Only about 2 per hour head to Hoboken. If you cut Hoboken trains to one an hour, and put 2 in to Penn, that's 3 trains taking care of Bayhead per hour (2 in, 1 out). RVL currently hands off 4 trains per hour to NWK, so figure 4 trains there- 3 in bound and 1 out bound, 2 terminate in NWK. There are 8 trains per hour on Main/Bergen/Jervis, but not all of them will be rerouted to NYP. Figure 3 trains (one each) will go to HOB and 6 (two each) will go to Penn. Figure 8 on MBJ- 6 in, 2 out. Monclair-Boonton currently sends one train an hour to Penn. Expanding service... let say 4- 3 in, 1 out. M&E currently gets what it needs, but lets figure on 2 express trains to Hackettstown- one in, one out.
That's 21, not 25. Re-configuring Penn to better move trains to Sunnyside could cover most of that if you built another pair of tunnels. Plus you really don't need much in the way of expanded service that I factored in- longer trains would cover it.
You're counting today's trains. They're trying to plan for the future. In fact I suspect that they may be a bit low when one starts to factor in Lack Cutoff, MOM, and the increased ridership that is going to come with the one seat ride for the other currently existing lines that don't currently run into NYC.

If it isn't on the list for at least one or two direct trains, you can bet that there will be howls of protest from those riders.

You're counting today's trains. They're trying to plan for the future. In fact I suspect that they may be a bit low when one starts to factor in Lack Cutoff, MOM, and the increased ridership that is going to come with the one seat ride for the other currently existing lines that don't currently run into NYC.
The Lackawanna Cutoff and MOM will never be built... and we both know it. There isn't enough money or demand.

The Lackawanna Cutoff and MOM will never be built... and we both know it. There isn't enough money or demand.
I don't think that anyone really knows what will happen with MOM. But the Lack will get built, they're only a very short ways from breaking ground on the first few miles. Whether we'll ever see the entire distance back in service might be a bit more debatable, but I'm pretty sure that at least part of it will see service in the next few years.

And I disagree that the demand is not there. The money I agree isn't there right now and it will have to be found for either project to proceed fully.

I thought this was going to be an automobile tunnel, not a train tunnel.
I'm pretty sure I'm right, too. Joe Biden said so! :D
Isn't that a scream! Of course, maybe having cars in the tunnel is wishful thinking on Joe's part. That way he will avoid exposure to swine flu.

I have a suggestion for the President. Tell Joe to keep his mouth shut. Just sit in cabinet meetings and say nothing to anyone about anything. It seems we've said this about many Vice Presidents over the last 20 years or so, but I truly hope President Obama stays healthy and safe for the next three and a half years. And I hope he finds a way to send Joe into a richly deserved retirement in 2013.

[i have a suggestion for the President. Tell Joe to keep his mouth shut. Just sit in cabinet meetings and say nothing to anyone about anything. It seems we've said this about many Vice Presidents over the last 20 years or so, but I truly hope President Obama stays healthy and safe for the next three and a half years. And I hope he finds a way to send Joe into a richly deserved retirement in 2013.
Think of Biden the same as I though about Al Gore with Clinton: Assassination protection for the president. Anyone who does not like the way the guy in charge is doing only has to look at the VP in both cases and decide the alternative is worse and he will change his mind and instead pray for the survival of the guy that is president, whether he likes him or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did mean Alternative G, meaning the routing through to Grand Central Terminal. In addition, I sincerely doubt there is demand for an additional 25 trains per hour. Trains pull in from NJCL and NEC during rush hour at a rate of one every 10 minutes each, and MidTOWN Direct is about the same frequency, IIRC. RVL doesn't haul that many passengers, and the number that want to continue to 34th Street is fairly limited- most of them take Path. Actually, it shocks me that any people don't take Path since it is much cheaper.
[...... much elided for the sake of brevity ......]

Well what the FTA approved in the SDEIS can be found on page 2-13 of Chapter 2: Project Alternatives. No further comments forthcoming from me since I don't have any special additional information that cannot already be found from the SDEIS. My attempt here is to simply try to base the discussion on established numbers as they currently exist in the plans in question, instead of conjectures. Frankly, I have no idea whether that many people from Bergen County want to take the train to Manhattan or not. Someone else will have to attack or defend those numbers.

Suffice it to say though that there is no way in gods earth that you can get 48 trains per hour through Penn Station in addition to its LIRR traffic in the rush hours, even if you managed to build two additional tunnels to get them to A interlocking, no matter what you do to the platforms and tracks there within that constrained space. And my additional observation is if one does not believe that they will ever need to run more than 25 trains per hour all the way out to 2030, then why bother building new tunnels? Might as well bag the whole thing and save all 9 billion dollars. You don't even need Alternative G or Alternative anything. Just shorten block sizes some more, run the commuter service like a freight operation with longest possible trains, reduce speed limit to 40mph through the tunnels and you got it. And that would be fine by me too, but it appears that the politicians, decisions makers and a considerable majority of others AFAICT don't particularly agree with that alternative, somehow.

[...... much elided for the sake of brevity ......]

Well what the FTA approved in the SDEIS can be found on page 2-13 of Chapter 2: Project Alternatives. No further comments forthcoming from me since I don't have any special additional information that cannot already be found from the SDEIS. My attempt here is to simply try to base the discussion on established numbers as they currently exist in the plans in question, instead of conjectures. Frankly, I have no idea whether that many people from Bergen County want to take the train to Manhattan or not. Someone else will have to attack or defend those numbers.

Suffice it to say though that there is no way in gods earth that you can get 48 trains per hour through Penn Station in addition to its LIRR traffic in the rush hours, even if you managed to build two additional tunnels to get them to A interlocking, no matter what you do to the platforms and tracks there within that constrained space. And my additional observation is if one does not believe that they will ever need to run more than 25 trains per hour all the way out to 2030, then why bother building new tunnels? Might as well bag the whole thing and save all 9 billion dollars. You don't even need Alternative G or Alternative anything. Just shorten block sizes some more, run the commuter service like a freight operation with longest possible trains, reduce speed limit to 40mph through the tunnels and you got it. And that would be fine by me too, but it appears that the politicians, decisions makers and a considerable majority of others AFAICT don't particularly agree with that alternative, somehow.
If you ran most or all of the trains through Penn to GCT, you could run that many trains, if you reconfigured the track layout to make all tracks through tracks.

If you ran most or all of the trains through Penn to GCT, you could run that many trains, if you reconfigured the track layout to make all tracks through tracks.
Interesting.... I would love to see that... GCT has so much more charm then Penn... seems like a great way to save money to me...

Is it really that simple?

While I've never stopped to actually count things, I'd bet that NJT already runs at least half of their rush hour trains through Penn to Sunnyside, and quite probably more than half. Many are of course stored at Sunny till the evening rush hour, but some just loop around and run back through to NJ, after picking up passengers at NYP. So sending them to GCT, along with the other "half" that currently turn in NYP, isn't going double Penn's capacity.

Additionally, if one has a crew ready and waiting on the platform, one can turn the train in about the same amount of time it takes to unload a full rush hour train. So the difference is negligible at best between that and run through service.

And then of course there is the issue of what to do with all those trains at GCT, since they can't go north of GCT. Not to mention all the issues that have already been pointed out regarding just getting service to GCT from NYP and the billions that will have to be spent to accomplish it.

But it has been amply established that you can't because there is nowhere to put that many trains in GCT once they get there. If you connect to the LIRR level they literally have nowhere to go since nothing that NJT has can pass through the ESA East River tunnels. If you connect to the upper levels it is not clear that there is capacity available even to move them through the Park Avenue tunnels to Highbridge or beyond, after one has dealt with the issue of different power collection systems and all that.

Unfortunately I am going to beg off this discussion about traffic throughput issues in Alternative G because it is something that has been documented reasonably well in related literature that anyone can look up. So unless I am presented with a detailed analysis showing how the traffic flow is going to work, I am not going to spend further time on this.

And no, in spite of pointing this problem out to our friends at Lackawanna Coalition and RRWG have never gone beyond repeating over and over again that it can be done, and I have never seen a traffic flow analysis out of them. Still waiting. I would actually be delighted to be proved wrong. But just saying one more time that "it can be done" just does not cut it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back