New uses for old stations

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting picture, thanks for posting! Wonder if it was cheaper to clean and fix it up as opposed to using an actual Hotel or other Old Building??(as Bette Davis said: "What a dump!") Other older Stations that are frequently seen in Movies, Commercials etc. are Union Station in LA and Grand Central Terminal in NYC!!!

Or even LA Union Station standing in as Grand Central.
In the Justin Timberlake-Mila Kunis movie "Friends with Benefits," the two leads are watching a (fake) movie on video that does this in a very obvious manner, and Justin Timberlake's character loudly complains about it.
laugh.gif

The old ticket lobby at LAUS shows up all the time -- just saw it a few days ago in a commercial.

As for using a real location, the problem is how much the normal operation of the site will interfere with filming, and vice versa. A busy hotel may not want their entrance blocked off by a tank.

The old ticket lobby at LAUS shows up all the time -- just saw it a few days ago in a commercial.

As for using a real location, the problem is how much the normal operation of the site will interfere with filming, and vice versa. A busy hotel may not want their entrance blocked off by a tank.
Aloha

And don't forget the 100 or so crew, extras and actors,

Here's a few pictures of the 16th Street Station I've had on my hard drive for years. I still remember stopping through here as a very small kid just before it was shut down and things moved to the new Jack London Square station.

otr-xx04f.jpg

otr-hw09f.jpg

otr-xx01f.jpg

otr-xx02f.jpg

Its sad to see a station looking like that. Thankfully our station in Amarillo was saved by a guy that is using it as an auction house but one day it might see passenger trains again if the SWC reroutes.

One of my offices is in a 1910 Santa Fe passenger station. Been modified a bit recently in the inside, but it's all station on the outside. Nice to see its maintained, it's a nice looking building.

Also recently saw a suite of offices in an old roundhouse in Madison WI, very neat building!

Dearborn station in Chicago was completely refurbished and is now used as an office building. The massive railroad yard/station shed once used by the Santa Fe Chief and Zephyr has been redeveloped into a housing development area and a new neighborhood. No rails run there anymore. It was a beautiful old station but when rail travel declined in the 1960's its days were numbered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back