new

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello,

I am wondering if anyone here has mixed biking with train travel. I would appreciate any recommendations for traveling from Portland Maine to a destination in Wisconsin (somewhere near Port Washington or Ashland Wisconsin.) It would be in my best interest to avoid heavily traffic areas due to exhaust fumes. I cannot handle Chicago at all. Anyway, I am open to suggestions. Thank you in advance. Is there a train forum called All Aboard? Thank you again. Biker (as in bicycle)

Welcome Biker!

I really don't know. Some trains allow unboxed bikes aboard, while most trains carry only boxed bikes - and only as checked baggage. The Downeaster does not offer checked baggage, and I'm not sure if they allow unboxed bikes. The LSL does have checked baggage, so it must be boxed.

The other problem is that the Downeaster arrives into North Station and the LSL departs (with check baggage service) from South Station. There is over 1 mile of city between them.

I found on Amtrak's website that each train has its own criteria for bikes. But, what I would like help with is, has anyone partially trained and partially bicycled cross country. ie: Biked to Portland Me., Taken Downeaster to Boston, Biked to South Station, Train to Buffalo area, then bike to Port Huron via Canada then somehow train and bike across lower Michigan, take ferry across lake Michigan. Arrive Wis. and bike and train to destination in Wis.

I guess it kind of sounds like a Triathlon. Train-thlon? Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I found on Amtrak's website that each train has its own criteria for bikes. But, what I would like help with is, has anyone partially trained and partially bicycled cross country. ie: Biked to Portland Me., Taken Downeaster to Boston, Biked to South Station, Train to Buffalo area, then bike to Port Huron via Canada then somehow train and bike across lower Michigan, take ferry across lake Michigan. Arrive Wis. and bike and train to destination in Wis. I guess it kind of sounds like a Triathlon. Train-thlon? Thank you.
My ex-husband is a former long distance bicycle rider. He never used a train together with his cycling. In segments, he rode the perimeter of the US and also from Alaska home to Florida. One year we drove to Portland, Maine and I dropped him and is bicycle off (I drove to Lorton, VA and took the Auto Train back home - thus a train connection). He road across to Seattle, then down to San Diego (taking back roads when he could). He flew home from San Diego. The next summer, he flew to San Diego and then rode the bike home. I know several times he shipped his bicycle home by UPS or Greyhound.

The bike/train trip sounds interesting, but might be difficult boxing/unboxing the bike unless you are really good at putting the bike together - and what do you do with the box?

Hi Pennyk, Thank you for your post. I am new to biking...so, I am still looking for answers myself. I did read somewhere recently that you can also store your bike in a bike bag. (sounds like a body bag!) ew.. anyway...the bike bag may be an answer. Sometimes I guess the bike can also be hung up in the train somewhere. Which, may be easier on everybody. Guess these are details that I am going to have to research more on Amtrak's website. Thank you again for your post.

Sometimes I guess the bike can also be hung up in the train somewhere.
On some transit systems (such as Portland, OR MAX), there is a hook in the cars to hang bikes. I don't know about the trains that carry un-boxed bikes, but the ones with checked baggage must have the bikes boxed, and there are no hooks in the cars anywhere.

Ok, Thank you Traveller. I guess the Downeaster has room for 8 bicycles. I will figure something out. I know that Folding bikes are an option to take on board on most trains...but, I do not know much about them. Thank you again and Happy Travels!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,I am wondering if anyone here has mixed biking with train travel. I would appreciate any recommendations for traveling from Portland Maine to a destination in Wisconsin (somewhere near Port Washington or Ashland Wisconsin.) It would be in my best interest to avoid heavily traffic areas due to exhaust fumes. I cannot handle Chicago at all. Anyway, I am open to suggestions. Thank you in advance. Is there a train forum called All Aboard? Thank you again. Biker (as in bicycle)

you can always call 1800usa-rail they can answer all you questions

Hello,I am wondering if anyone here has mixed biking with train travel. I would appreciate any recommendations for traveling from Portland Maine to a destination in Wisconsin (somewhere near Port Washington or Ashland Wisconsin.) It would be in my best interest to avoid heavily traffic areas due to exhaust fumes. I cannot handle Chicago at all. Anyway, I am open to suggestions. Thank you in advance. Is there a train forum called All Aboard? Thank you again. Biker (as in bicycle)

you can always call 1800usa-rail they can answer all you questions
That I wouldn't bet on. It's not unheard of to call Amtrak 3 different times and get 3 different answers. :eek: Often 3 conflicting answers. :blink:

I can use USA-RAIL as a resource, with the understanding that I may have to triple check the info. Thank you both.

Back