Newark Airport sta. And NWK

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zach

Train Attendant
Anyone have any experience with a ticket leaving Newark Penn station, would my ticket allow me to board at Newark Airport station? Thanks

Technically speaking, i would say you need a ticket from the airport station, which includes the monorail, which is worth at least $5.00, maybe a little more. Tickets are not sold just to the Irport train station itself. In reality, it is my observation that the trAin crews are rather casual in checking tickets. But you could be told to purchase a cash fare onthe train, with a penalty fee attached.

No. Newark Penn station and Newark airport station are two separate stations and most Amtrak trains only serve the Newark Penn, not the Newark airport station.

What you need to do is get off at Newark Penn and purchase an NJT ticket specifically for the Newark airport station. That ticket costs somewhere upward of $5 per person and it not only takes you to the Newark airport station but also gives you access to the AirTrain to the actual airport.

Eta: don't throw away the ticket stub right away because you will need it for the AirTrain.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone have any experience with a ticket leaving Newark Penn station, would my ticket allow me to board at Newark Airport station? Thanks
Traveling which way?

If you don't have a EWR originating or terminating ticket. You will be forced to obtain an Aitrtrain ticket at EWR station anyway, before you are able to cross the ticket barrier between the Airtrain and the main line trains. There is no other exit from that station.

Theoretically you could just a get the barrier crossing ticket and get on an NJT train headed towards New York, essentially as a ticketless traveler upto Newark Penn Station and if caught deal with the consequences. Of course if you are headed Westbound you'd have no problem since the Newark Penn ticket will cover your journey.

I'm pretty sure that's not allowed since the fares are supposed to roll in the cost of taking AirTrain. Also - there's not supposed to be any way to get into the station except via the airport. The only way out of the station for the public is via train or the emergency exits.

I remember looking this stuff up when I was visiting NYC. It's supposed to be $5.50, although it looks like Amtrak just rounds it off. I was getting $36 for #94 from the airport to NYP, but $31 from Newark Penn to NYP.

If anyone is on a budget, and a senior like me, one can board NJT bus at EWR and transfer at Newark Penn station. The bus cost is 75 cents for oldies, $1.50 regular. The NJT railfare from Newark Penn to NYP is $2.45 senior, $5.25 regular.

Bus service is around every 30 mins, and the ride takes 15 mins between airport and Newark Penn.

Ed.

Thanks all for the replies. I would be doing EWR-NWK- and on to PVD. My ticket is for NWK-PVD. I forgot about the Air train fee. Reason I'm questioning because I'll be with friends getting dropped off at Newark airport and was trying to make it a one stop with the car service. A ticket on Amtrak on my train from EWR-NWK is 55dollars.

As Caravanman suggests, take the NJT 62 bus from any terminal at EWR to Newark Penn Station. Cheaper and more frequent and actually less hassle if NWK is all that you need to get to..

Last edited by a moderator:
If anyone is on a budget, and a senior like me, one can board NJT bus at EWR and transfer at Newark Penn station. The bus cost is 75 cents for oldies, $1.50 regular. The NJT railfare from Newark Penn to NYP is $2.45 senior, $5.25 regular.

Bus service is around every 30 mins, and the ride takes 15 mins between airport and Newark Penn.

Ed.
And you can save even more by taking PATH from Newark Penn Station to New York, instead of NJT....

Ed.
And you can save even more by taking PATH from Newark Penn Station to New York, instead of NJT....
I think it depends a lot on where one needs to get to. Might not be so bad if the Financial District is the destination.

I have often stayed at the former Holiday Inn, and recently HoJo at EWR airport as a cheaper base for visiting New York. They have free shuttles to the airport, but adding the full price return train EWR to downtown New York adds a good amount, so any savings are appreciated. One has to balance the longer journey times against potential savings of course.

Ed.

Ed.
I think it depends a lot on where one needs to get to. Might not be so bad if the Financial District is the destination.
Yes, it does go to the World Trade Center, but it also has a midtown line, that makes stops in Greenwich Village enroute to its terminus in Herald Square...6th (Avenue of the America's), and 32nd Street...only one long block from Penn Station.

Did PATH, or its predecessor, ever run thru trains from Newark to 33rd? Perhaps during rush hours?

Just curious...

I suppose the former PRR might have 'objected' to that as 'competitive' to its own trains, especially since they owned the tracks between Jersey City and Newark that the H&M ran over....

Did PATH, or its predecessor, ever run thru trains from Newark to 33rd? Perhaps during rush hours?

Just curious...

I suppose the former PRR might have 'objected' to that as 'competitive' to its own trains, especially since they owned the tracks between Jersey City and Newark that the H&M ran over....
H&M was owned by PRR.

Back