newbie 1st cross crountry trip coming up

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Y

yardsalequeen

Besides a few quick trips from Albany to NYC in the 80's, I haven't really taken any other trips on Amtrak. But in a few weeks we will be traveling in a family bedroom from California to Union Station.

Ok, I will pack duct tape. I'm thinking of taking some sticky notes and writing "Do Not Disturb" on them and putting them on the door when we eat leave the room - that way the room will appear being used even if we are not in it.

And from reading the forums - I see that towels are provided for showers? Right?

Are the toilets like airplane toilets with the blue liquid? Inquiring minds want to know!

Welcome!
hi.gif

If you're talking about Union Station in Albany, it is no longer used. It is now IIRC the HQ for SUNY. The station is now in Rensselaer.

Make sure you join Amtrak Guest Rewards (AGR) before your trip. If you would like I can refer you. Just send me your email address via Private Message (PM). Then after you get your AGR number, sign up everyone else traveling. (Each account needs a separate email address. You can get free accounts at like gmail, yahoo or hotmail.) There is a bonus for the referrer also, and that's why I only suggested your email. Once you get your AGR number, you can refer the others and get the bonus yourself!
wink.gif

Then call Amtrak and associate the AGR numbers to your reservations!
wink.gif

Enjoy your trip!

Hi,

welcome to the forum..

Funny thing, I was interested by your user name.. Yards Ale Queen, to my mind is a lady who drinks a yard of ale.. my sort of wench.. I guess on your side of the "pond" it is Yard Sale Queen, quite a different lady...

Happy (sober) travels!

Eddie :cool:

Sorry I wasn't more specific - I'll be ending up at Union Station in DC. I did sign up for AGR already, but not for my 10 year old son since it says its for 16 and older. Not an Ale Queen either, a Rum & Coke Queen is more like it!

I sort of have a theory about train travelers - you guys can tell me if I am right or wrong. I would guess the majority of train riders fall into one of 2 groups. 1. People who travel by train for the love of trains & train travel, or 2. People who are afraid to fly. But then there's a small group of random people (like me & my family) who are just doing it for the adventure.

Last edited by a moderator:
I belong to both groups #1 and #3! (And group #3 is not small - just look at any member or guest of AU!)
biggrin.gif

I think the "rule" to register for AGR ONLINE is 16, but you can (and should) register him by phone! Even a 2 or 3 year old can (and should) get an AGR account!
wink.gif

If you're talking about Union Station in Albany, it is no longer used. It is now IIRC the HQ for SUNY. The station is now in Rensselaer.
Albany Union Station is north of the Federal Courthouse and the SUNY HQ is at the foot of Broadway they're about a block apart. Last I heard it was being used by Bank of America but they either plan to or already have vacated the building.

Albany Union Station is north of the Federal Courthouse and the SUNY HQ is at the foot of Broadway they're about a block apart. Last I heard it was being used by Bank of America but they either plan to or already have vacated the building.
The ironic thing is - I used to work for SUNY which was headquartered in the old D & H Building - http://www.albany.edu/museum/wwwmuseum/statestreet/dhbuild.html

but no, I will be in Union Station in DC.

I used to live 50 miles north of Albany, and worked in downtown Albany for many years. I had only once taken a train from Union Station (in the 60's), and always thought that the D & H Building and SUNY HQ WAS Union Station?
huh.gif

I knew they removed the tracks and platforms at Union Station to build I-787. And the D & H Building is right up to I-787!
rolleyes.gif

I survived my Amtrak cross country adventure. Wow - the good, the bad, the pretty and the ugly. It was an interesting trip - not sure if I would ever do it again, but it was certainly different.

I'm revising my theory on who travels by Amtrak:

1. train enthusiasts

2. afraid of flying folks

3. random miscellaneous people like me

4. Amish

1. train enthusiasts

4. Amish
I'll also concur with #4. I have seen many on my trips too!
I'd add or modify #3 with "people who chose Amtrak because of the cost". I've engaged a fair number of ppl in conversation this trip so far (CS/EB, CL to come later today) and I have been surprised by the number of folks who told me "It's way to expensive to fly".

A mother with a young son, several single females traveling alone, (one cross country-Seattle to WAS) etc., etc. Granted, they are all going coach, but they are keeping Mike, the lounge car attendant, very busy, and the SSL is packed, Amtrak is even staffing the upper level snack bar, I haven't seen THAT in eons.

1. train enthusiasts

4. Amish
I'll also concur with #4. I have seen many on my trips too!
I'd add 3 catagories:

5)international tourists who want to see the scenery

6)druggies who transport their "products"

7)rural/prarie folks who have no other way to get there (ie the EB carries lots of folks that have no airline service/busses etc.Tom Petty is singing "Into the great Wide Open" :lol: )

How about a trip report since you had such a varied experience?

I belong to both groups #1 and #3! (And group #3 is not small - just look at any member or guest of AU!)
biggrin.gif

I think the "rule" to register for AGR ONLINE is 16, but you can (and should) register him by phone! Even a 2 or 3 year old can (and should) get an AGR account!
wink.gif
What is the advantage of getting children an AGR acct? My son and I will be travelling Card/EB to WGL and then CZ/Card from HER to STA, so a few miles, but I thought you earned based on dollars spent and I spent the dollars. So, what would the child's ticket get? Just the coach portion? (We have sleepers for half of it which I reserved with my AGR number).

Thanks for helping me to understand.

biggrin.gif

wink.gif
What is the advantage of getting children an AGR acct? My son and I will be travelling Card/EB to WGL and then CZ/Card from HER to STA, so a few miles, but I thought you earned based on dollars spent and I spent the dollars. So, what would the child's ticket get? Just the coach portion? (We have sleepers for half of it which I reserved with my AGR number).

The advantage is that while YOU (or whoever pays for the ticket) will earn for the amount spent, you can also earn AGR credit for the travel!
wink.gif
Just like an airline frequent flyer program, only the person traveling can earn points for traveling! If your child does not have an AGR account, those points are lost - nobody earns them!
sad.gif

A sleeper ticket is composed of two things, the rail fare and the accommodation charge. The 1st person listed on the reservation has the potential of earning AGR points for his/her rail fare and the accommodation charge. If (s)he is not a member of AGR, NOBODY earns points for the accommodation charge. The 2nd person only earns AGR points based on his/her rail fare.

And there is a minimum earning of 100 AGR points PER SEGMENT, so even say a $5 segment would earn 100 AGR points!
wink.gif

biggrin.gif

wink.gif

The advantage is that while YOU (or whoever pays for the ticket) will earn for the amount spent, you can also earn AGR credit for the travel!
wink.gif
Just like an airline frequent flyer program, only the person traveling can earn points for traveling! If your child does not have an AGR account, those points are lost - nobody earns them!
sad.gif

A sleeper ticket is composed of two things, the rail fare and the accommodation charge. The 1st person listed on the reservation has the potential of earning AGR points for his/her rail fare and the accommodation charge. If (s)he is not a member of AGR, NOBODY earns points for the accommodation charge. The 2nd person only earns AGR points based on his/her rail fare.

And there is a minimum earning of 100 AGR points PER SEGMENT, so even say a $5 segment would earn 100 AGR points!
wink.gif
OK, so I think I understand a little bit. He will earn points for his rail fare only, I can't earn those even though I paid for them because it is in his name, right? What about points he collects, can only he use them?

Thanks again for all your help.

OK, so I think I understand a little bit. He will earn points for his rail fare only, I can't earn those even though I paid for them because it is in his name, right? What about points he collects, can only he use them?
Thanks again for all your help.
He can redeem his points for a ticket for you if you want, or any one for that matter, and if it's for a sleeper then he can put you on his reservation and 2 of you can travel in that room for free getting all meals included.

Or if you prefer, he can also transfer his points over to your account, although be warned it does cost money to do that.

Our family has made several trips from OKC to Chicago and on to Huntington, Wv. My wife is committed to sleeper travel, although she has allowed me to schedule some return trips on coaches. Super liner coaches are the most comfortable for sleeping. I have also made several business trips on Amtrak. I like to travel by coach because I like to look out the window. I keep my time table, really small light, and watch handy so I can keep track of where I am when we stop at night.

Some things that we have found useful:

1. If you are woried about germs - take a container of the disinfectant wipes with you. Bathrooms are generally in good shape, but near the end of the line, things may not appear as clean as you would wish.

2. Towels and wash cloths are provided. Before you shower, check to see if they are where you expect them to be. If not ask the car attendent.

3. Extra pillows are needed for comfort. I suggest one to put beneath you, one to place beside you, and the one provided by the attendent for under your head.

4. During cold weather padded coats, and other cold weather outer wear can be placed in an appropriatly sized bag (one with a draw-string would be best) and used for one of the pillows.

5. We use small bags (fishermen's bags by plano) for on-board clothing and toiletries.

6. I also carry a scanner radio tuned to the AAR frequencies. This needs to be used with extreme care to avoid disturbing others. I use ear speakers.

7. State maps are also useful because they usually show railroads.

8. At smoking stops smokers congrigagte in small groups. Meeting them is a good way to meet a large cross section of travelers.

9. If you like to play games, the train is a good place for them. On the Eagle lounges tend to have "regular" tables. If you take a game to one and act reasonably friendly you will often be joined by others. I have heard people coming back from the lounge after it closed saying what a good time they had playing games with people they had just met.

Hope your trip is a good one!

Back