Newbie Question - Checked Baggage

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My next question!

The first part of our journey is Newark-Washington DC-Chicago-Denver.

Although Newark shows as having checked baggage, our confirmation doesn't list this as an amenity on that leg of the journey - only from Washington DC onwards.

Does this mean that we can't check our bags through from Newark to Denver? That we can't check them until Washington DC?

What train are you taking from Newark to DC? If a regional, none of the regionals have a baggage car, and therefore, don't offer checked luggage.

My next question!

Although Newark shows as having checked baggage, our confirmation doesn't list this as an amenity on that leg of the journey - only from Washington DC onwards.

Does this mean that we can't check our bags through from Newark to Denver? That we can't check them until Washington DC?
Technically no, but yes you can!

None of the Regionals (except the overnight #66/67, but I'm not sure if Newark offers it for them) has checked baggage service. But the long distance trains (such as to Florida and New Orleans) do. You could check them in Newark to Denver, and the bags would get to Washington on one of them. The only thing is you would have to check them before those trains depart, or the bags may be delayed. (Example - and I'm just making these times up: If the train departs at 10 AM, but you do not depart until 1 PM, you need to check them at least 30 minutes before the 10 AM train departs.)

If you do not wish to check them in Newark, you can hand carry them on the Regional and check them in Washington. There is plenty of room above your seat (it is not small like a plane) and at the end of the car.

My next question!

Technically no, but yes you can!

None of the Regionals (except the overnight #66/67, but I'm not sure if Newark offers it for them) has checked baggage service. But the long distance trains (such as to Florida and New Orleans) do. You could check them in Newark to Denver, and the bags would get to Washington on one of them. The only thing is you would have to check them before those trains depart, or the bags may be delayed. (Example - and I'm just making these times up: If the train departs at 10 AM, but you do not depart until 1 PM, you need to check them at least 30 minutes before the 10 AM train departs.)

If you do not wish to check them in Newark, you can hand carry them on the Regional and check them in Washington. There is plenty of room above your seat (it is not small like a plane) and at the end of the car.
Though this space at the end of the car does dry up quickly... ESPECIALLY if you are boarding a train that just left NYP...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back