Newbie Questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FunNut

Service Attendant
Due to the ridiculous TSA airport x-ray machines and groping (for me since I refuse to be irradiated) at airports, I'm forced to take the train from Flagstaff to New York City later this month. I booked the least expensive routing on the SW Chief and Capitol Ltd, then have to take the NE Regional from WAS to NYP. Thanks to this forum and Amsnag I was able to do pretty well on the fare, or so I thought.

Question #1: I'm booked in a roomette #13 on the SWC and #11 on the CL. Does anyone know exactly where these rooms are located? I do know they're downstairs, which I think is better for ride and not so much foot traffic walking by. It looks like there are 4 roomettes downstairs (diagram on the Amtrak site), is either of these rooms next to the stairway? Will there be a problem with noise (stairway or people fishing around in their bags in the luggage area?

Question #2: I was very clear with the agent on the phone that I wanted to depart FLG on January 19th. But when the confirmation e-mail arrived the trip was booked on the 20th. When I phoned back (right away) to point out the error, the agent re-booked me for the 19th but the fare is $43+ more. I asked for an adjustment due to the difference in fare being THEIR error. I was told I would have to phone "Customer Relations" in the morning and see "what they can work out." Has anyone had this problem before and what is the normal outcome when they mess up a reservation?

Question #3: I also signed up for AGR and I think I'll get a bonus for traveling right away. How many points is that bonus?

Again, thanks to all the posters here who answer questions and give good tips about riding Amtrak.

Question 1.Roomettes 11 and 13 are on the side with the baggage rack, across from the stairs. 11 is next to tha baggage rack and 13 is between 11 and the Family Room at the end of the car. My family and I always prefer the lower level and have never been bothered by people at the luggage rack. Most people don't know that there are more restrooms on the lower level so they are all lined up for the one upstairs rather than coming downstairs.

Question 2. I have always found Customer Service to be extremely helpful but have not had that particular probelm.

When I phoned back (right away) to point out the error, the agent re-booked me for the 19th but the fare is $43+ more. I asked for an adjustment due to the difference in fare being THEIR error.
How was the higher priced fare (higher bucket) due to their error?

IMHO, the fare on 19th would still have been $43 more, especially since you phoned back to correct the wrong date right away.

Fare on Amtrak is based on buckets, and it seems that the 19th was already selling at a higher bucket than the 20th, even during your initial call.

Not if the fares were the same at the time of booking, which is certainly possible.

Certainly make sure that you have the right date - the train that leaves FLG at 5:30 in the morning left LA the previous evening. Not sure if that was a cause for confusion or not.

For some stations, you must be especially careful!
ohmy.gif

Such as the LSL at BUF - departure time is 11:59 PM. Be certain you make your reservation for Friday (evening) - not Saturday (morning)!
wink.gif

Not if the fares were the same at the time of booking, which is certainly possible.
Since he mentioned he called back "right away", I think it is far more likely the fares were not the same as the time of booking.

IMHO, FunNut simply got caught up in what many of us are use to, the cost to travel on different days can differ substantially depending on the "bucket" level for each day.

Also, IMHO, bucket fare being different on different days is not something that needs to be escalated to Customer Service. :rolleyes:

I agree. There have been many stories of people who were told the fare is $xxx, but they had to check with their wife/husband/boss/etc... and then when the called back "just a few minutes later" the fare was $xxx + $yy!
ohmy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back