Newbie questions :)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lagniappe

Train Attendant
I am taking my first long distance ride, the Crescent, Charlottesville to New Orleans. It's one way, I'm driving back with my dad and aunt who are coming up here for a visit. The reason I am taking the train is for the adventure and flying one way is expensive. Trying to keep cost down I elected to ride coach. I've looked through a lot of forums, read blogs etc but a lot of them are geared toward sleeper cars and not really how to be the most comfortable in a coach seat. I have a few questions:

Since it's my first trip, can I ask to have a window seat and further back in the car for a better view out the window? What's the chances I won't have someone next to me?

How crowded will the train be by the time I get on it? I'm traveling Nov 3rd.

Should I bring a sheet to lay out on the seat for more comfort? Or to make sure I'm laying on something cleaner?

I know they have pillows, but am bringing a neck pillow and an inflatable lumbar pillow to make myself more comfortable. Is that overkill?

Are the snacks in the cafe car worth the price? When I fly I will get things like the cheese tray and that's super expensive. Not sure how much space I want to give to snacks and water bottles.

Thanks for any info you can give me.

Since it's my first trip, can I ask to have a window seat and further back in the car for a better view out the window? What's the chances I won't have someone next to me?

-- Seats can not be reserved in advance, having a ticket guarantees you'll get on the train, not where you're sitting. The seats in the center of the car are usually preferred for sleeping because there is less track noise and the car doesn't move as much in the center as it does over the trucks or on the ends.

How crowded will the train be by the time I get on it? I'm traveling Nov 3rd.

-- Depends on the number of passengers. Because you are getting on in the middle of the route and later in the evening, it would be safe to assume there will be many others on the train already.

Should I bring a sheet to lay out on the seat for more comfort? Or to make sure I'm laying on something cleaner?

-- Trains are usually clean, a blanket for sleeping and a pillow will probably be worth it.

I know they have pillows, but am bringing a neck pillow and an inflatable lumbar pillow to make myself more comfortable. Is that overkill?

-- They say you get a pillow but you are better off with your own.

Are the snacks in the cafe car worth the price? When I fly I will get things like the cheese tray and that's super expensive. Not sure how much space I want to give to snacks and water bottles.

-- Prices are a little steep, but heck, supply and demand. I know the candy is movie theater size but as for "meal" food, prices are pretty steep (IMO) for what you get. Its probably worth getting breakfast at least in the dining car.

I do not think they provide pillows in coach any more. However, they do sell comfort packs that contain a blanket, possibly a pillow and possibly an eye mask. I would bring my own, just in case such packs are not for sale or are sold out.

I do not know the boarding protocol on the Crescent, but on the Silver Meteor, the coach attendant generally assigns seats.

I know you can't reserve seats in advance, but hoping I can ask for a window seat :) Thanks for the reply and advice on the middle of the care.

You will likely have someone next to you as far as Atlanta. After that, the train is known to usually not be very busy, but that is the daytime portion.

I don't travel coach but it is my understanding that pillows are no longer furnished. There is an amenity kit that includes blanket and pillow supposedly for sell in the lounge car but not sure they always have in stock. If you have room, bring your own pillow. Using a sheet for cleanliness is a little overboard in my opinion unless you want to use it on the floor to sleep. Some do sleep on floor if space is available. If you can afford it, I recommend traveling business class. Apparently, there are less passengers in that car and getting two seat side by side very possible.

I don't travel coach but it is my understanding that pillows are no longer furnished. There is an amenity kit that includes blanket and pillow supposedly for sell in the lounge car but not sure they always have in stock. If you have room, bring your own pillow. Using a sheet for cleanliness is a little overboard in my opinion unless you want to use it on the floor to sleep. Some do sleep on floor if space is available. If you can afford it, I recommend traveling business class. Apparently, there are less passengers in that car and getting two seat side by side very possible.
I thought of business class but it was twice as much in cost and when I just checked on something, it says there is only one seat available at the lower cost, so not sure if that meant it was selling out or if it just meant it was gonna cost more.

I thought of business class but it was twice as much in cost and when I just checked on something, it says there is only one seat available at the lower cost, so not sure if that meant it was selling out or if it just meant it was gonna cost more.
The "only one seat left at this price" usually refers to last seat available at that price. There may still be plenty of seats. Last year I booked a bedroom on the Empire Builder at the lowest bucket price available(actually the first bedroom booked at that time). Immediately after the cost of bedrooms jumped to the highest bucket price. Amtrak pricing can be crazier than Airlines in some instances.

After you take the ride, Let us know how it all worked out.
I'll report back :) There seems to be too little information about how to get comfortable in coach and make that a more pleasant overnight trip. I've already thought of a few things to bring with me like a blow up lumbar pillow, a neck pillow and another type of pillow which rolls and can be packed away. I couldn't find the right tote bag for my stuff and decided on a diaper bag of all things! Great pockets on the outside for water bottles, Kindle, phone, crafts, etc.

Thinking of ways to make the public restroom not so scary like bringing seat covers and disinfectant spray for cleaning up the area and still haven't decided on what type of snacks I can bring that don't need refrigeration, but are still healthy.

Thanks for the tips all!

Don't worry about coach. The seats on overnight long-distance trains are nice and roomy and they recline way back, like about 45 degrees. There is plenty of space between the seats and a cushioned leg rest which lifts up so that you can put your feet up and get some good rest. If you can sleep in a reclining chair (I can't!) you can probably sleep pretty well in an Amtrak coach. About the only negative of the coach seats, other than the fact that they aren't a real lay-flat bed like you get in a roomette, is that there is no armrest between the seats. So, if you're sitting next to a stranger, you may be closer than you prefer. If someone turns out to be a creep, though, the car attendant and/or conductors will take action if you let them know.

The cafe car food is pricier than you'd find in a Seven-Eleven but not excessively so; food quality is generally adequate. I do recommend that you bring some simple snacks such as trail mix and bottled water to munch and sip on but drinking water and little Dixie cups will be available in your coach car. Many trains these days are offering designated "at-seat" coach meal service where you place an order for a package meal with your car attendant and he picks it up in the diner and brings it to your seat. This is usually a single, limited entree (see an example although it may be out of date) but your coach attendant is also supposed to provide at-seat service from the full dining car menu (at full menu price) upon request. Don't be surprised if he doesn't advertise this fact, however. If you're going to pay dining car menu price, though, I suggest that you go ahead and eat there...dinner (or breakfast!) in the diner, with the scenery rolling by out the picture window and two or three meal companions to chat with, is an experience in and of itself. Whether served at your seat or at the table in the diner a tip is generally considered appropriate; I recommend that you tip as you would for the same meal in a regular restaurant. For cafe car food a tip is not as customary but I consider that pleasant and prompt service should be recognized and rewarded. Both the dining car and the cafe car accept credit and debit cards as well as cash.

Of late I prefer sleepers for overnight trips (I just came back from a trip where I spent seven nights in sleepers on trains in two weeks), but I have plenty of miles in coach under my belt in my younger days and I'm still willing to consider it for a single overnight. Enjoy your trip, meet people, take in the scenery, and I hope that everything (especially timekeeping!) works out for you. Perhaps someday in the future you'll have both the resources to consider first-class travel and the experience to be able to appreciate it....

Don't worry about coach. The seats on overnight long-distance trains are nice and roomy and they recline way back, like about 45 degrees. There is plenty of space between the seats and a cushioned leg rest which lifts up so that you can put your feet up and get some good rest. If you can sleep in a reclining chair (I can't!) you can probably sleep pretty well in an Amtrak coach. About the only negative of the coach seats, other than the fact that they aren't a real lay-flat bed like you get in a roomette, is that there is no armrest between the seats. So, if you're sitting next to a stranger, you may be closer than you prefer. If someone turns out to be a creep, though, the car attendant and/or conductors will take action if you let them know.

The cafe car food is pricier than you'd find in a Seven-Eleven but not excessively so; food quality is generally adequate. I do recommend that you bring some simple snacks such as trail mix and bottled water to munch and sip on but drinking water and little Dixie cups will be available in your coach car. Many trains these days are offering designated "at-seat" coach meal service where you place an order for a package meal with your car attendant and he picks it up in the diner and brings it to your seat. This is usually a single, limited entree (see an example although it may be out of date) but your coach attendant is also supposed to provide at-seat service from the full dining car menu (at full menu price) upon request. Don't be surprised if he doesn't advertise this fact, however. If you're going to pay dining car menu price, though, I suggest that you go ahead and eat there...dinner (or breakfast!) in the diner, with the scenery rolling by out the picture window and two or three meal companions to chat with, is an experience in and of itself. Whether served at your seat or at the table in the diner a tip is generally considered appropriate; I recommend that you tip as you would for the same meal in a regular restaurant. For cafe car food a tip is not as customary but I consider that pleasant and prompt service should be recognized and rewarded. Both the dining car and the cafe car accept credit and debit cards as well as cash.

Of late I prefer sleepers for overnight trips (I just came back from a trip where I spent seven nights in sleepers on trains in two weeks), but I have plenty of miles in coach under my belt in my younger days and I'm still willing to consider it for a single overnight. Enjoy your trip, meet people, take in the scenery, and I hope that everything (especially timekeeping!) works out for you. Perhaps someday in the future you'll have both the resources to consider first-class travel and the experience to be able to appreciate it....
The coachclass seats are better than those of the airline's economy class. Flying 12+ hours in economy feels like being cramped, and even four hours of flight feels just as cramped if flying redeye. The airline seats don't recline very much, and the space between seats were narrow, and the seats themselves were also a bit narrow, unless you are willing to pay extra for either Premium Economy, Business Class, or First Class.

As for food onboard, it is a bit more (but not very much) expensive than convenience stores, but quality is quite acceptable. If you are concerned on spending money onboard, I would suggest bringing a cooler with some food and drinks (non-alcoholic) in it.

As for the at-seat meal service, I can't say for the Crescent but it is very likely that it will be there. It was on the Coast Starlight, but never had at-seat meals. There are only so many of those meals, so if they run out, you either have to buy food from the cafe or the diner.

As for overnight trips, I find coachclass suitable enough, and thus all but one of my overnight trips so far have been in coach, whether it be for eight hours or for thirty hours. I travel on roomettes every once in a while on occasion and/or when I have sufficient resources.

I was on the southbound Crescent about three weeks ago, and the at-seat meal for coach was red beans and rice for $10. If they offer something that sounds good to you, make sure you order it at the earliest opportunity -- they only had a limited number and they sold out even on a not very crowded train.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was on the southbound Crescent about three weeks ago, and the at-seat meal for coach was red beans and rice for $10. If they offer something that sounds good to you, make sure you order it at the earliest opportunity -- they only had a limited number and they sold out even on a not very crowded train.
I heard this time of year it's not very crowded, so I'm hoping that's the case. What do you consider "not very crowded"?I cook a fair amount of red beans at home, but that does sound like a good deal.

I really appreciate the tips. I did buy my snacks today and have to make sure I have enough of the right kinds. I'm insulin dependent diabetic so I don't want to have issues while on the train. How late does the cafe stay open if I were to need a snack? I won't, but just curious. I keep skittles with me all the time for low blood sugar.

I was also wondering if there is hot water available for making tea. I drink something to help with sleep each night and thinking the train will be no different.

Went to the train station today and it was very clean and the attendant was helpful with letting me know I only need to be there 30 minutes before time to check my bag and where to board. I've been on a number of excursion steam trains and metro systems, but this is the first time on a "real" train. I hope my experience is good because my dad is thinking about riding it up here in January to stay a few months.

I found by corssing the conductor's hand with a piece of silver(or a $20 dollar note) I magically got a window seat. perhaps its it my British accent that found me favour (although bearing in mind it cost be 20 bucks everything I hope it wasn't )

Tipping coach attendants is optional. If they perform good service, I will tip them. It may be a good way to be proactive and gain a favor. If I'm not pleased with the coach attendant, they get no tip, which has been the case more than once.

Let the LSA in the cafe car/lounge know you will need some ice for your meds and carry a few good ziploc bags and a little cooler pack. They are not allowed to handle or store meds, but are usually very good at helping out with ice/water for taking pills or insulin storage.

I heard this time of year it's not very crowded, so I'm hoping that's the case. What do you consider "not very crowded"?I cook a fair amount of red beans at home, but that does sound like a good deal.

I really appreciate the tips. I did buy my snacks today and have to make sure I have enough of the right kinds. I'm insulin dependent diabetic so I don't want to have issues while on the train. How late does the cafe stay open if I were to need a snack? I won't, but just curious. I keep skittles with me all the time for low blood sugar.

I was also wondering if there is hot water available for making tea. I drink something to help with sleep each night and thinking the train will be no different.

Went to the train station today and it was very clean and the attendant was helpful with letting me know I only need to be there 30 minutes before time to check my bag and where to board. I've been on a number of excursion steam trains and metro systems, but this is the first time on a "real" train. I hope my experience is good because my dad is thinking about riding it up here in January to stay a few months.
The cafe is generally open from about 7 am to 11 pm, but it is periodically closed for employee breaks (generally announced). Hours will also vary with the schedule of the train and the attitude of the attendant. If you have health issues and may need something in your stomach right now, best to carry a private stock with you.

I haven't seen the service standards on this, but I'm not certain that they call for giving hot water on request to coach passengers. I've never been turned away as a sleeper passenger, but I've never asked as a coach passenger. If push comes to shove they do sell hot tea in the cafe for about two bucks a pop.

Your local station agent may be OK with checking baggage 30 minutes in advance, but at last check the written policy called for it to be in the agent's hand (not just in line) a minimum of 45 minutes before scheduled departure. If you return from or make a stopover at a station other than your local one, this policy may be enforced more strictly.

Thank you all. Went out and watched the train go by our local station that is no longer open. It looked pretty full, but I'm thinking that might be due to Sunday night and work travel.

I do have a frozen pack and plan to freeze a few water bottles and I hope that will be sufficient for my insulin, but it's good to know I can get some ice if I need it.

Here's my trip report :)

The Charlottesville station was clean and the employee behind the desk very helpful. Our train was half an hour late. We were sent to #6 to board and were told someone would meet us there, but the person didn't come out all that way and we were at the wrong place to board. The issue with that is it was raining and we were not under cover. I was assigned an aisle seat at the back of the train. I was told by the lady sitting next to me to use the restroom from the car behind us because ours was a mess. Someone, soon after boarding in NY apparently soiled themselves in their seat and trashed the restroom. My seat mate told me they have to move her back where I was to get away from it. I felt bad for her. The restroom was not very clean and I had to do a lot of cleaning before I felt comfortable sitting. I brought a small spray bottle with a homemade sanitize. I was pleased to find there were paper seat covers and didn't need to use the ones I brought with me. Our car attendant was pleasant and helpful. I asked where the trash was and he took it from me instead of me getting up to throw it.

It was 9:30 pm when we got going and shortly after that the lights dimmed, but I don't think it was enough for sleeping passengers. Others around me seemed to have no problem getting comfortable and sleeping, but I don't sleep well in my one bed, lol, so I was uncomfortable. My lower back didn't seem to like the angle of the reclining seat. I have a neck pillow and a small travel period but I think if I were to take a train again, I would bring two regular sized pillows for padding. I have trouble sleeping so had some herbel tea with me. At the cafe I asked if I could purchase hot water for it. The attendant there was pleasant, poured me the water and said it was no charge, so I left her a nice tip. I would have like the window seat but there was not enough room to get out of it without disturbing an aisle passenger so it's probably best that I was on the aisle. On the stop about 2 AM several very loud and rude passengers boarded. I was astonished that they didn't have any respect for the sleeping passengers. Also these same people needed to hop off the train at each smoking stop so they got to the back of the train before it stopped and were loud around our area.

When morning came, I had breakfast in the dining car. Scrambled eggs, croissant, grits and a side of bacon, which looked like precooked microwaved. For the price, I would have expected a little better. It was okay, but nothing special. It was quiet at the time I was there and I stayed until it started getting busy. At that time we were stuck outside of Atlanta and lost another half hour, putting us an hour behind schedule. I returned to me seat and enjoyed some conversation with the lady I was seated next. She had been traveling from NY to MS for decades and she pointed out sites for me and gave me helpful tips on making the trip more pleasant, we both were happy that we were seated next to each other.

All in all, it wasn't awful. The smell after flushing the toilet was probably the worst thing.

I went to Atlanta on the Crescent last month, and we also got stuck behind a freight right outside of the station for a while, but we had made up all of the time we were behind leaving Washington,so only ended up 10 minutes late. The station sits on the main, not on a side or station track, so I guess it's prone to that. Being in the sleeper, the other things didn't come into play.

Last edited by a moderator:
I travel on the Crescent often. I have found the leg room to be quite spacious. I bring snacks, but the food in the dining car is delicious, but expensive. Yes, bring wipes and spray for the restroom. It gets cold on the Crescent....bring a blanket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back