NHV to PGH: Where to change trains?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldsmoboi

OBS Chief
I'm going to be taking Amtrak from New Haven to Pittsburgh on a Saturday. Do you suggest I change from the Regional to the Penny at NYP or at 30th Street?

I'm going to be taking Amtrak from New Haven to Pittsburgh on a Saturday. Do you suggest I change from the Regional to the Penny at NYP or at 30th Street?
I would recommend changing at Philadelphia. 30th Street is a much nicer place to hang around for an hour or so, it has a great food court area, and you don't have the backwards ride on the Pennsylvanian between New York and Philly.

Thanks. I guess my only concern was the Regional being late to PHL and me missing the connection.

Chances are that if it's late to PHL, it might be late in NYP also! And if it loses time between NYP and PHL (such as for track problems or electric power failure), there's a good chance that the Pennsylvanian would also be affected by it!
rolleyes.gif

I too would vote for a transfer at PHL!

I also vote for PHL. Like PRR 60 said no backwards ride and PHL has a nice food court and is a great place to kill an hour or so. All the trains that come and go the time flies by! :D I try to arrive about an hour before my train no matter what. On average I'd say about 5-10 trains go in the hour depending on time of day. :D Sadly you don't see them but you can see the Solari Board flip and click! The lines go from 70+ people to 0 people! :lol: The announcements! Some of PHL announcers have great voices! Just a word of advice. Lines start to form for trains anywhere from 20 to 30 minutes before the train arrives into PHL. Trains board about 10 minutes before the train arrives. That way when the train pulls in everyone is on the platform and ready to step foot on the train after everyone gets off.

Thanks for the input. Looks like the vote is unanimous.
Not quite!

All the above are valid points, but, if you board the Pennsylvanian at NYP, you have a better chance of securing a choice seat, even if not at first, but after others get off enroute.

Thanks for the input. Looks like the vote is unanimous.
Not quite!

All the above are valid points, but, if you board the Pennsylvanian at NYP, you have a better chance of securing a choice seat, even if not at first, but after others get off enroute.
That's exactly what I was going to post. I don't know if that train is crowded out of NYP, but it's always nice to get on at the embarking station and have your pick of seats.

Back