Nickle Plate NYC bound passengers

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sometimes, The Guide fools me.

If I were traveling east to NYC on the Nickle Plate in the 1950's, would I need to get off the train in New Jersey and bus into New York?

Dave

If I were traveling east to NYC on the Nickle Plate in the 1950's, would I need to get off the train in New Jersey and bus into New York?

Dave
Trains which left Chicago as Nickel Plate became Delaware Lackawana and Western at Buffalo and into Newark. From Newark they connect with ferries, this in 1957. Perhaps there were buses later.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dave
Trains which left Chicago as Nickel Plate became Delaware Lackawana and Western at Buffalo and into Newark. From Newark they connect with ferries, this in 1957. Perhaps there were buses later.
DL&W trains terminated at the Hoboken Terminal, where it was a very short ferry ride to midtown Manhattan. Rival Erie trains terminated in Jersey City, also a ferry ride to Manhattan.

Other roads like the B&O via trackage rights from Philadelphia over Reading and Jersey Central, also terminated in Jersey City, but they had a choice of Jersey Central ferries, or B&O operated buses to various city ticket offices in Manhattan and Brooklyn.

And there was also the Lehigh Valley, which for some years during World War I and shortly after, ran from Newark into NYP carried by PRR. Later, they terminated in Newark and passengers made cross platform transfer into NYP

Last edited by a moderator:
At Hoboken into the 60's there were four choice from Hoboken for long distance passengers: a dedicated " Thruway " bus that went to midtown Manhattan for long distance passengers, a local bus that went from Hoboken to Port Authority Bus Terminal In Manhattan, the H & M Tube Train ( now PATH ) and the railroad ferry. ( The last Erie Lackawanna long distance train was on January 5, 1970, the Lake Cities, Trains 5 & 6, from Chicago to Hoboken. By then the railroad ferry and dedicated bus were gone. Passenger ferries were revived in 1989. I know, because I was working in the Crew Dispatchers office in Hoboken at the time and saw the first ferry depart! Hope this wasn't too much information. ) Since I just got rolling, I was on the last railroad ferry from Barclay St., New York with my grandmother on Nov. 22, 1967! ) I remember seeing Nickel Plate cars roll through my hometown of Madison, NJ.

You're right about that. Besides going directly into Grand Central Terminal, NYC had way more choices of trains from Cleveland, then anyone else...

Back