No Debit Cards at QuikTrak?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you used a Debit card in any fashion to buy tickets, then you'll have no problems picking up your tickets. They are brought and paid for.
As of right now, you can only use a Debit card to buy tickets in its credit card mode. You can no longer use it in debit card mode, where you enter your pin number instead of signing for the purchase.

Hmmm, that is interesting. PIN based debit card transaction cost the merchant less that a credit card transaction. The risk of insufficinet funds is the same with a debit card whether it is a pin based transaction or a credit transaction. It would e interesting to understand why Amtrak has this policy because they are paying more to process the same transaction. Pin based transaction cost less as there is the assumption of less risk of fraud because a pin numer must be entered.
i am also confused here, the quickthingy machine is there to disspence hard copies of tickets that have been already been bought and paid for, am i right? so by presenting the debit card arn'nt u just confirming that this is the card that was used to purchace the tickets, not is there sufficiant funds in the account to pay for them, so this should have no effect on what card someone uses, it is to prove that this was the card that was used to buy the tickets in the first place, so why can u not use this type of card any more ????
Actually swiping the card to pickup tickets does nothing more than to activate the machine. You can activate the machine with your AGR card, assuming that you have one.

This is only an issue if one is trying to actually book the trip at the machine, something you could do before and cannot now.

If you used a Debit card in any fashion to buy tickets, then you'll have no problems picking up your tickets. They are brought and paid for.
As of right now, you can only use a Debit card to buy tickets in its credit card mode. You can no longer use it in debit card mode, where you enter your pin number instead of signing for the purchase.

Hmmm, that is interesting. PIN based debit card transaction cost the merchant less that a credit card transaction. The risk of insufficinet funds is the same with a debit card whether it is a pin based transaction or a credit transaction. It would e interesting to understand why Amtrak has this policy because they are paying more to process the same transaction. Pin based transaction cost less as there is the assumption of less risk of fraud because a pin numer must be entered.
i am also confused here, the quickthingy machine is there to disspence hard copies of tickets that have been already been bought and paid for, am i right? so by presenting the debit card arn'nt u just confirming that this is the card that was used to purchace the tickets, not is there sufficiant funds in the account to pay for them, so this should have no effect on what card someone uses, it is to prove that this was the card that was used to buy the tickets in the first place, so why can u not use this type of card any more ????
See Alan's post above, I'm pretty confident that is correct. So in your scenario, no problemo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back