No Food or Drinks in Club Acela

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you cite these FDA regulations? I can't believe that that's it since as said above it's self-serve and you aren't using any any of their food facilities by sitting in a seat. They let people bring their own food on NE Regional cafes, but not LD cafes yet when asked people claim FDA, so what's the difference? It's just another pointless control method just like the Kindergarten walk.

Last edited by a moderator:
I call a big bunch of Balougnia! If it was a federal rule than...
1. Agents wouldn't simply say "oh it's fine since the train is late"

2. All of the lounges would have the same policy. There is no signs posted, nor any rule enforced at Chicago.
Regulations and compliance are two very different things.

If someone exceeds the speed limit, that by itself is proof that speed limits don't exist? To that, I say big bunch of Balougnia!

What is "Balougnia?" Does no one around here read their Oscar Mayer packages? And how does one confuse "site" and "sight"??

What is "Balougnia?" Does no one around here read their Oscar Mayer packages? And how does one confuse "site" and "sight"??
And actually the correct usage in the original post would be "cite" in regards to citing regulations or references if one wants to get into that.

Amtrak should 'wise up' and treat its club patrons/members at least as well as the airlines. :excl:

For example, from this webpage on United Club terms and conditions:

• Food may not be brought into clubrooms. (Complimentary light snacks are available in each clubroom.

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
It's because of FDA regulations. Amtrak is Federally regulated, and mandated by Congress to comply with FDA food handling regulations. Same reason that you aren't allowed to bring your own food into the diner, or to use the microwave in the lounge cars.
What business is it of government what you eat? If I want to drink raw milk and eat raw eggs that's my business. I do not need anyone there to protect me from myself.

The problem here seems like many that come up when discussing Amtrak: a rule that is inconsistently enforced if enforced at all. I have seen numbers of people bring covered drinks into Club Acelas and the Chicago and Portland lounges as to wonder if some club employees even know about any rule.

But in response to one post, it seems a different kettle of fish to talk about "violating" a seemingly picky rule about food and drink in lounges in the same vein as opening the door window on a Superliner. That is a rule clearly established for safety considerations. If the poster were to get hit in the eye by flying rock or debris, would he so readily take responsibility and not seek medical and/or related compensation from Amtrak?

Finally, the cafe attendants on the Pacific Surfliners have always enforced the "no personal food in cafe car" rule on the basis that the seating is for passengers who purchase food and want to eat in the car rather than taking it back to their seat. Any FDA stricture would logically apply only to the attendant microwaving or otherwise handling a passenger's personal food because of a potential for contamination with the Amtrak preparation area. In fact, that has long been an FDA regulation for cafeterias in federal buildings. Otherwise, why would the FDA care where someone ate their own food?

Guest in the West... I like your points but let me try to say this again...

There is NO sign (and no mentions of any such rules) at Chicago or Portland. The signs are posted at "Club Acela" lounges. The ones I have personally seen are in Washington DC and Philadelphia.

I don't use any of the CA lounges but this does sound like a silly rule. On the other hand, if someone brought smelly and/or messy food in then I'd absolutely want them kicked out to avoid any problems. Seems like the rule could be rewritten to say something about messy or odorous foods. I guess that's considered too complicated to the people who write the rules.

Seems like the rule could be rewritten to say something about messy or odorous foods.
Whoa, they tried that here, and such was very quickly squashed as being racial/ethic bias.

Though, I'll leave it up to everyone's imagination as to the smell(s) coming from the break room when those from India were cooking their lunches in the microwave. :D

Seems like the rule could be rewritten to say something about messy or odorous foods.
Whoa, they tried that here, and such was very quickly squashed as being racial/ethic bias.

Though, I'll leave it up to everyone's imagination as to the smell(s) coming from the break room when those from India were cooking their lunches in the microwave. :D
Did you say ethnic? ROTFL :D

Airline clubs are the same way and are usually more restrictive about it. I still have my 32 year-old lifetime membership in Continental (now United) that has helped me get into Delta clubs (when they were partners), then USAir Clubs. I have also had yearly Delta Club memberships (paid by my employer) years ago.

In Philly, on a Sunday last month, the club attendant allowed us to bring our station-bought lunches in and proceeded to supplement them with chips. We ate them on the train but wanted to bring them in while waiting for it.

I don't use any of the CA lounges but this does sound like a silly rule. On the other hand, if someone brought smelly and/or messy food in then I'd absolutely want them kicked out to avoid any problems. Seems like the rule could be rewritten to say something about messy or odorous foods. I guess that's considered too complicated to the people who write the rules.
There's nothing preventing people from bringing that stuff on board the train to consume at their seats.

However, if something is truly offensive, I think a conductor has the authority to order it gone - similar to the "offensive hygiene" rule. I remember when I was on vacation in Thailand, there were signs in many places that this particular fruit wasn't allowed. In Singapore, it's not allowed on public transportation.

Durio_kutej_F_070203_ime.jpg

It's called durian, and I've never willingly eaten any. I once mistakenly ate something that had some natural durian flavor, but spit it out almost immediately. I have smelled it from a distance and can't understand how anyone could willingly put it in their mouths.

There's nothing preventing people from bringing that stuff on board the train to consume at their seats.

However, if something is truly offensive, I think a conductor has the authority to order it gone - similar to the "offensive hygiene" rule. I remember when I was on vacation in Thailand, there were signs in many places that this particular fruit wasn't allowed. In Singapore, it's not allowed on public transportation.

Durio_kutej_F_070203_ime.jpg

It's called durian, and I've never willingly eaten any. I once mistakenly ate something that had some natural durian flavor, but spit it out almost immediately. I have smelled it from a distance and can't understand how anyone could willingly put it in their mouths.
It's actually pretty tasty if you can get over the smell!

It's forbidden on the MRT (Singapore Underground) and buses. There's a hefty fine awaiting those who try.

The PHL lounge attendant told me a while ago its wasnt the food it was more the drink. A lot of the weekend warrior select members would use the lounge as a pregame tailgate party and get rowdy when they were traveling to an away game to NYP, BOS, or WAS and they wanted to keep the lounge a more professional vibe.

The PHL lounge attendant told me a while ago its wasnt the food it was more the drink. A lot of the weekend warrior select members would use the lounge as a pregame tailgate party and get rowdy when they were traveling to an away game to NYP, BOS, or WAS and they wanted to keep the lounge a more professional vibe.
they must have really been a riot by the time they boarded the train! Wonder what the bathrooms were like after they got off?! Or probably even worse on the trip back, when they are were undoubtedly thoroughly plastered. No doubt ended up sitting in the Quiet Car! :p

That doesn't seem like it matches up... A sign that said alcaholic drinks not permitted would make sense. Maybe it was just a quick reaction after the drinking party left so much trash?

This is what I would bring to the CA

• 3/4 cup olive oil
  • 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 12 anchovy fillets
  • 6 large garlic cloves, chopped
  • Assorted fresh vegetables, cut into bite-size pieces
  • 1 1-pound loaf crusty Italian or French bread, cutinto 2-inch sections

A favorite in our household, Bagna Cauda.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back