No LA lounge -- Why?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

edding

Service Attendant
Greetings: Just curious -- given all the LD trains originating in Los Angeles, why is there no first class lounge there. What are the historical reasons behind this lack? Were/are there any plans to put on in at LAX? No compelling reason for this inquiry -- just curious.

Ed

An excellent question, Ed. Unfortunately I don't have a real answer, and you probably wouldn't get one from Amtrak, either. HAHA!!

It may have something to do with the physical layout of L.A. Union Station. As you enter from the front, Alameda street, there is a large room off to the left which was the original LAUS ticketing area. Since the station was refurbished this area has been closed to the public, but is used for special events from time to time - I once happened to see a huge Mexican wedding reception in progress; mariachis, other bands, the whole bit. Even half of this mostly unused area would make an excellent place for a 1st Class Lounge.

Here's where the layout part comes in: The area is far removed from the boarding platforms; about as far away as you can get. For sleeper passengers it would be a major trudge through the main waiting room, down the tunnel, and up to the platforms.

There are other areas that I suppose could serve, but there would probably be a major fight about the architechtural integrity of a historical landmark. If you've ever been to LAUS, you know it really is beautiful.

I've heard there are plans afoot to make LAUS a run-through station, and perhaps with new construction for that a lounge would become more feasible. Then the only issue might be money, but that's never a concern for Amtrak, right? :lol:

Perhaps others have better information than I.

BTW, don't forget to log in and vote on your preference for the next Amtrak Unlimited Gathering. The inaugural in Chicago last month was a fun success.

Here's where the layout part comes in: The area is far removed from the boarding platforms; about as far away as you can get. For sleeper passengers it would be a major trudge through the main waiting room, down the tunnel, and up to the platforms.

... and the walk from the Chicago lounge to the platform is somehow special? It is a farther walk outdoors than the coach passengers (read COLD in the winter), it is poorly lit, it is dirty, and how much fun would it be if a train was passing next to that narrow walkway.

... and the walk from the Chicago lounge to the platform is somehow special? It is a farther walk outdoors than the coach passengers (read COLD in the winter), it is poorly lit, it is dirty, and how much fun would it be if a train was passing next to that narrow walkway.
Actually I've made that walk while a train was indeed passing. I thought it was rather neat being right next to the moving train. I'm not sure that the rest of my fellow passengers appreciated it as much as I did, but nonetheless I thought it was great.

There are other areas that I suppose could serve, but there would probably be a major fight about the architechtural integrity of a historical landmark. If you've ever been to LAUS, you know it really is beautiful.
Actually in both Boston and Philly they've managed to integrate the lounge with the old architecture. In Philly the lounge is nothing special and it does show its age a bit. However in Boston they managed to blend both the old and the new quite nicely IMHO. The Boston lounge is one of the nicest, and sadly most underutilized lounges, in the system.

I've heard there are plans afoot to make LAUS a run-through station, and perhaps with new construction for that a lounge would become more feasible.
The run through would have no effect on any potential lounge. The run through concept is/was to extend the stub end of a few tracks and with two very sharp curves make a connection into the tracks on the west side of the Los Angeles river. It would take about a mile off the San Diego trains and Southwest Chief, and what ever commuter trains that go from Los Angeles through Fullerton. It would have no effect at all on the terminal building or passenger concourses. I say "was" because there used to be a web site called runthroughtracks or something like that, but it has dissapeared. Now, when the California High Speed Railroad comes into being . . . .

I believe that the station building is not owned by Amtrak, so they would have to pay out extra to rent that lounge space.

I feel that the Los Angeles station is poorly served by food options too, is there anywhere local outside the station

that one can get a better choice?

Ed (a different Ed to the first one!) B)

I've heard there are plans afoot to make LAUS a run-through station, and perhaps with new construction for that a lounge would become more feasible.
The run through would have no effect on any potential lounge. The run through concept is/was to extend the stub end of a few tracks and with two very sharp curves make a connection into the tracks on the west side of the Los Angeles river. It would take about a mile off the San Diego trains and Southwest Chief, and what ever commuter trains that go from Los Angeles through Fullerton. It would have no effect at all on the terminal building or passenger concourses. I say "was" because there used to be a web site called runthroughtracks or something like that, but it has dissapeared. Now, when the California High Speed Railroad comes into being . . . .
See? Always folks out there who know way more than me. Thank you, Mr. Harris!

I believe that the station building is not owned by Amtrak, so they would have to pay out extra to rent that lounge space.I feel that the Los Angeles station is poorly served by food options too, is there anywhere local outside the station

You want food outside LAUS? Olvera Street is right across Alameda, with a range of restaurants and stands serving a variety of Mexican classics. A couple blocks down is Phillipe's, home of the French dip sandwich; beef, lamb, ham, turkey, and killer hot mustard. 9-cent coffee, too! And Chinatown is a short walk, with many restaurants. Also Vietnamese restaurants in the area. I almost started a riot by asking why napalm was not on the menu.

Inside LAUS the food options are limited. There's a bagel joint open in the morning - max commuter traffic. Also an overpriced upscale deal call TRAXX. Don't bother with that, unless you wanna shell out around a c-note for a steak dinner.

I believe that the station building is not owned by Amtrak, so they would have to pay out extra to rent that lounge space.I feel that the Los Angeles station is poorly served by food options too, is there anywhere local outside the station

You want food outside LAUS? Olvera Street is right across Alameda, with a range of restaurants and stands serving a variety of Mexican classics. A couple blocks down is Phillipe's, home of the French dip sandwich; beef, lamb, ham, turkey, and killer hot mustard. 9-cent coffee, too! And Chinatown is a short walk, with many restaurants. Also Vietnamese restaurants in the area. I almost started a riot by asking why napalm was not on the menu.

Inside LAUS the food options are limited. There's a bagel joint open in the morning - max commuter traffic. Also an overpriced upscale deal call TRAXX. Don't bother with that, unless you wanna shell out around a c-note for a steak dinner.
The bagels are the BEST in the west outside of NYC.

I go over to the Mexican area and eat at the resturant that has the stairs going down. This resturant is excellent.

BillVas

I would go to the Grand Central Market via Red Line and a walk to get a huge burrito! I know it's quite far, but it surely a good way to burn off the calories after eating burrito! Also that place serve chinese food and fresh fruits & vegetables. There's an Angel Flight next door. Sadly, it's not open yet, since 2001. I've rode it and it's pretty neat on how the railcar run on a very steep hill.

UPDATE: from other trains forum, the Angel Flight is talking about opening on Dec. 31, along with new drive system.

Last edited by a moderator:

Also, if you go through the tunnel, past all the tracks, and up the other side where the busses load there is a Denny's across the street. That's were we usually go since I don't eat mexican food.

Now,

The last couple times my Wife and I traveled Sleeper from CUS, we went out the back door of the lounge and our train was right there(CNO), and I mean like 50 feet away. I do recall, however, when we took the LSL in 2005, we really had a long walk to our Sleeper(it seemed like almost a mile) and they did take us out the back door. I suppose train placement is just the luck of the draw?

I suppose train placement is just the luck of the draw?
Train placement is a combination of factors, including luck of the draw at times too. Other factors can be switches down for repair work, track out for servicing, length of train vs length of platform, did another train leave late or is it even still in the station, what time of day was the train ready to be released from the yard, where is the train going, other train movements at the time the train is released from the yard, dispatcher's whim.

Train placement is a combination of factors, including luck of the draw at times too. Other factors can be switches down for repair work, track out for servicing, length of train vs length of platform, did another train leave late or is it even still in the station, what time of day was the train ready to be released from the yard, where is the train going, other train movements at the time the train is released from the yard, dispatcher's whim.
Does anyone know where the yards are where they service the trains in the LA area? Just curious as to how far they have to take them from the station.

Thanks!!!

Does anyone know where the yards are where they service the trains in the LA area? Just curious as to how far they have to take them from the station.

Thanks!!!
Tom,

I'm not positive, but judging from what I saw, I'd say that they have to shuttle them between a 1/2 mile to a mile from the station.

Of all the great stations, LA is one that probably needs a lounge the least. Some of our best 'waiting for the train' times have been sitting in the outside courtyard area with a cup of coffee and enjoying the beautiful weather.

Out of curiosity, has anyone actually eaten at Traxx? It too has an outdoor area and might be a good spot for a pre boarding cocktail or meal.

Thanks!!!
Tom,

I'm not positive, but judging from what I saw, I'd say that they have to shuttle them between a 1/2 mile to a mile from the station.
Yeah, heading out of LAUS toward San Diego, on the right side of the train, you'll see the Amtrak shops about a mile from the station, just before a flyover at a place I believe is called Redondo Junction. As the train rises on the flyover a turntable can be seen, with several engines parked around it, including an old Santa Fe steam locomotive (3751, operational: Santa Fe 3751) which is usually under wraps. Before reaching the Amtrak shops, and also on the right, is a yard for Metro Red Line (subway) equipment.

Heading out northward, on the left, you can see 1) Metro Gold Line (light rail) shop - don't blink or you'll miss it - right beside the tracks, 2) Metrolink (commuter) shops and yard, and 3) a disused U.P. locomotive shop. Maybe somebody knows why U.P. shuttered that shop. Centralized maintenance somewhere else? It used to be quite a sight, but there's little left except the huge shed.

Finally, while I've never eaten at TRAXX, it did get a decent review in the L.A. Times a while back. Not stellar, but decent. Maybe I'm always there at the wrong times, but have never seen the restaurant more than about 1/3 full.

There are several shops along the route, toward the south. Where is south? You can tell by looking at the water on the bottom of cement river. Well, that's Los Angeles River. If the water is flowing down, that's south. Shops are using by Metrolink (commuter trains), MTA subways, and Amtrak. Tracks are being used on both sides of the river.

BTW in an interesting proposal a decade ago, they were talking about using the cement river as a traffic relief for LA freeways. That never happened. It would be nice to tear out the cement and restore the natural areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back