No more AAA discount on weekend CC trains?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cristobal

Lead Service Attendant
I'm sitting here trying to book a multi-city trip for this Sunday and it's not letting me use the AAA discount. However, if I pick a train for Monday it does and I also did a test booking on the CS which also let me apply the discount. A Saturday CC train is a no-go for AAA as well. What's up with that?!?! When I checked fares earlier this week I was able to get the discount and there is nothing on the CCJPA web page that mentions a change in policy. :(

AAA discount is subject ot a three day advance purchase. My experience has been that means a full 72 hours before depature time, not necessarily calendar days.

That's not Capitol Corridor policy, that's Amtrak's. Tickets must be booked at least three days before travel.

Friday is less than three days before Sunday so you can't book a discounted fare.

Doh!!! :blush:

My bad for waiting then. I did not know that. :huh:
Look on the Bright Side, you might earn MORE AGR points........... or not.
Not! :p

I was only looking at saving about $4 on a 800 point run so I'm not TOO bummed. I did learn something new today so I consider it a win! :)

Now I know that I will have to book my 3X lunch/points run next month a little earlier than waiting 'til Friday night. :D

That's not Capitol Corridor policy, that's Amtrak's. Tickets must be booked at least three days before travel.
Friday is less than three days before Sunday so you can't book a discounted fare.
Here is how I would handle it if I was Amtrak management. On long distance trains, i would allow frequent travels (Select and Select + or Select + only) a waiver on the 3 day rule. I travel in sleepers and certainly don't make a go or now go decision on a trip because of the AAA discount on the rail fare only. Another perk for those who are loyal passengers. If they really wanted to reward us, apply the discount to accomodations like hotels do. I do not want to re-hash that old topic.

Can you get a credit if you realize you forgot to use your AAA discount when buying your tickets?

Can you get a credit if you realize you forgot to use your AAA discount when buying your tickets?
If you've already used the tickets or if it's within three days of travel now, No.

If you haven't used the tickets, then in theory you can ask for the discount. However, be very careful about this. If the price bucket has gone up, you could lose the lower price in the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back