no more electronics on Amtrak, who thought these rules up ???

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dutchrailnut

Conductor
From Amtrak website:

For the safety and comfort of our passengers, we strictly enforce the baggage limits stated in the guidelines below. We encourage all passengers to read these guidelines when making travel plans.

If you have any questions regarding these guidelines, please call 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245).

Guidelines for Carry-On Baggage

The following guidelines apply to baggage you bring onboard with you as carry-on baggage:

Two-Piece Limit: Each passenger may bring aboard no more than two pieces of carry-on baggage. Not included in this limit are personal items such as briefcases, purses, laptops, and infant paraphernalia such as strollers, diaper bags and car seats.

50-Pound Limit: Each carry-on bag may weigh no more than 50 lbs.

Size Limit: Each carry-on bag may not exceed 28 x 22 x 14 inches in size.

Visible Tag Required: Each carry-on bag must be visibly tagged with the name and address of the passenger. Passengers may use their own personal identification tags, or may obtain Amtrak baggage identification tags at station ticket offices, or onboard trains from a member of the train crew.

Special Items: Ski equipment, snowboards, golf clubs and bicycles may generally only be handled as checked baggage on Amtrak trains, and not as carry-ons. Items are permitted onboard when they can be safely stowed in the exterior lockers of Superliner equipment, or onboard equipment that is specifically designed to safely and securely accommodate the storage of the items.

Guidelines for Checked Baggage

The following guidelines apply to baggage you check, and which is stored in separate baggage storage areas on a train:

Three-Piece Limit: Each ticketed passenger may check up to three pieces of luggage at no charge. Up to three additional pieces may be checked upon payment of $10.00 per piece.

50-Pound Limit: Each checked bag may weigh no more than 50 lbs. We will not accept heavier pieces.

Size Limit: Each checked bag may not exceed 36 x 36 x 36 inches in size.

Suitable Bags: Please be sure to pack your baggage using sturdy luggage or containers that are capable of withstanding expected handling. Please note that we do not accept plastic storage containers, lightweight suit bags, and other similar items as checked baggage.

Baggage Tags: Attach your name and address to each item. Free identification tags are available at stations or from crew members, or you may use your own.

Where Available: Checked baggage service is available at many stations and on many trains and Amtrak Thruway buses throughout the country. See individual station pages on this site, available from the 'Stations' section, for more information.

Check-In Time: Please check all baggage at least 30 minutes prior to departure, and longer for special items. Baggage checked less than 30 minutes prior to departure may be delayed.

Claiming Checked Baggage: Checked Baggage will be available for claiming generally within 30 minutes of arrival. However, some items may require additional handling and therefore may take up to 60 minutes. Be prepared to identify your baggage by the claim check numbers. Storage charges apply to baggage not claimed within two days of arrival.

ID Required: To check baggage, you must have a valid photo ID. For more information about ID requirements, please see our Passenger Security and ID page.

Special Items: Amtrak accepts a number of special items such as baby strollers, bicycles, golf bags, musical instruments, and skis. In most cases there is a handling charge of $5.00 per special item.

Bicycles

On many Amtrak trains, it's easy to bring your bike along. See more information about bringing your bicycle aboard the train.

Prohibited Items

The following kinds of items are prohibited as both checked and carry-on baggage:

Any type of gun, firearm, ammunition, explosives, or weapon.

Incendiaries, including flammable gases, liquids and fuels.

Large, sharp objects such as axes, ice picks and swords.

Corrosive or dangerous chemicals or materials, such as liquid bleach, tear gas, mace, radioactive and harmful bacteriological materials.

Batteries with acid that can spill or leak (except those batteries used in motorized wheelchairs or similar devices for mobility-impaired passengers).

Club-like items, such as billy clubs and nightsticks.

Fragile and/or valuable items (including but not limited to electronic equipment).

Animals (except service animals).

Oversized and/or overweight items.

Please note: This is not an exhaustive list. Any item similar to those listed, even if not specifically mentioned here, is prohibited from being carried onboard or checked as baggage.

Damaged, Lost or Delayed Baggage and Limitation of Liability

Amtrak disclaims liability for carry-on baggage, even if Amtrak personnel has handled or assisted in loading or unloading the baggage.

Claims for lost checked baggage must be submitted within 30 days of arrival at your destination station. For best results, submit the claim at your destination station; otherwise call Amtrak at 800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245) and ask for Customer Relations.

Claims for damaged or delayed checked baggage or for a concealed loss (pilferage) within checked baggage must be submitted immediately at your destination station. Amtrak disclaims liability for pilferage for unsecured baggage, such as baggage that does not have a lock, seal or other device that protects the bag from unauthorized entry, and for articles placed in an unlocked or unsecured exterior baggage compartment.

Amtrak liability for checked baggage is limited to a maximum of $500 per ticketed passenger. Passengers may declare additional valuation up to $2,500 upon payment of the applicable charge.

Dutchrailnut,

Maybe the coffee hasn't kicked in yet, but I can't seem to make the connection from your subject line to the Amtrak guidelines. Can you help my over 50 brain kick in?

That is undoubtedly an attempt by the legal department to reduce their liability if something like that is stolen or broken in handling by the railroad; "We TOLD you not to bring something like that onboard, or in checked baggage. Don't try to get us to pay for your loss if something happens to it by way of theft or breakage." Not surprising in this society.

Dutchrailnut,

Maybe the coffee hasn't kicked in yet, but I can't seem to make the connection from your subject line to the Amtrak guidelines. Can you help my over 50 brain kick in?
Here's the relevant part.

Fragile and/or valuable items (including but not limited to electronic equipment).
Thanks Alan,

See the coffee hadn't kicked in yet and now I get it! And I think AmtrakWPK is correct, it's legal stuff to protect Amtrak in case of...............

Watch what this regulation does for some over zealous Conductor that sees a kid with a DVD player or a railfan with a scanner or camera??

Never mind the coffee kicking in , the Amtrak moron that wrote these rules has not had his brains kick in for a while.

See the coffee hadn't kicked in yet and now I get it! And I think AmtrakWPK is correct, it's legal stuff to protect Amtrak in case of...............
Don't feel bad, my coffee hadn't kicked in yet either. However I was able to zero in on the relevant part because this discussion is also occuring on another railfan board, so I knew precisely where to look. :lol:

Turning to the actual verbiage, I suspect that it has as much to do with someone not paying attention to the header for that section. I'm sure that Amtrak doesn't want electronics in checked bags, as they could be easily broken or stolen. But most likely no one paid attention to the fact that the header included carry-on bags too.

After all, how can Amtrak run a photo contest each year, if you can't bring a camera onto the train to take those photos?

Anyone who considers these rules extreme, or even unusual, might want to check out the rules on airlines and cruise ships, as well as most hotels and other such semi-public places. It's a "CYA" (cover your ass) issue. We live in the most litigious country in the entire world, and Amtrak can ill-afford to get sued.

Anyone who considers these rules extreme, or even unusual, might want to check out the rules on airlines and cruise ships, as well as most hotels and other such semi-public places. It's a "CYA" (cover your ass) issue. We live in the most litigious country in the entire world, and Amtrak can ill-afford to get sued.
Quite true Transatlantic,

Since people are willing to sue at the drop of a hat, literally, than companies like Amtrak must do "CYA"

And while sitting in McCarran Airport in Las vegas last week Friday while waiting for my plane, I did indeed take the time to read the prohibited items list for United. When I got done I just muttered "whew!"

After all, how can Amtrak run a photo contest each year, if you can't bring a camera onto the train to take those photos?
Actually, isn't the contest for pictures OF trains? You can't do that if you are ON the train, so passengers are excluded from the contest :lol: . They CYA'd themselves there too. If you brought the camera onboard, you obviously broke the rules, because you can't take a picture of the train from there. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
I am going to be travelling on Sunset Limited in December. Can't imagine travelling without my PDA, laptop, camera, phone, etc. Ok, maybe I can leave the laptop, only to replace it with a DVD player for the kids. What do the members of this board think? Will this create any issues, or will most train attendants look the other way?

I am going to be travelling on Sunset Limited in December. Can't imagine travelling without my PDA, laptop, camera, phone, etc. Ok, maybe I can leave the laptop, only to replace it with a DVD player for the kids. What do the members of this board think? Will this create any issues, or will most train attendants look the other way?
Actually your laptop is the one thing that Amtrak specifically states that you can bring aboard. :rolleyes:

However as I and others have indicated above, this rule is really geared more towards checked luggage, not carry on luggage. Plus of course it could well be as also suggested, a way for Amtrak to prevent law suits and damage claims for lost, stolen, or broken electronics. But I can't imgaine any Amtrak employee actually enforcing the no electronics rule.

If they tried that, they would kill service on Acela Express and the entire NorthEast corridor, as well as some of the Illinois and California services, as all of these trains are heavily patronized by business people who will not ride if they can't bring their electronics on board.

It seems rather obvious that the restrictions on electronic equipment is meant for the checked baggage only and not for carry-on. There are two separate and distinct sections of this memo - one for checked and one for carry-on. Unfortunately, they have listed the restricted items at the end of the memo. This is no different than it has always been. Who would be stupid enough to put electronics gear in their checked baggage anyway? Why put delicate equipment - computers, cameras, etc. in something that has the potential for being thrown around and jostled in a baggage car. I am sure there are a few people who put this type of gear in their checked baggage on airlines and I am also sure it is not there at the end of the trip.

Common sense should prevail in these situations.

Now mind you, not that I think I am rich, but the next time I ride Amtrak, I'll just have to consider my laptop, iPod, and camera as cheap and not of much value. I won't care what happens to them, just let me bring them.

But a teacher of mine once said:

Ah, "Common Sense;" it's not "common" and it's not a "sense."

I just watched someone, last week, at O'Hare Airport in Chicago, put his laptop in luggage that he checked a few minutes later. Common Sense?

But a teacher of mine once said:

Ah, "Common Sense;" it's not "common" and it's not a "sense."

I just watched someone, last week, at O'Hare Airport in Chicago, put his laptop in luggage that he checked a few minutes later. Common Sense?
And I'm reminded of a trip a few years back on the Crescent, where almost immediately upon departure from Washington heading south, I could hear on the radio the conductor asking the AC to head into the baggage car where upon he was to go looking for a particular suitcase. It seems the the parents had packed the baby's formula in their checked baggage and therefore had nothing to feed the child with, unless the AC could find their bag. :eek:

Shoot... I guess that means I'll have to leave my ice pick and sword at home this Thanksgiving

Shoot... I guess that means I'll have to leave my ice pick and sword at home this Thanksgiving
Well if you want to bring them, then you'll have to fly. Just don't put them in your carryon bag as that won't work, but you can check them. You can even check your bag with a Machette in it. :blink:

This is most definitely Amtrak covering itself liability wise in case of damage, theft, etc. It would be silly for Amtrak to not allows laptops and the like on board if they're advertising electrical outlets at each seat pair. :lol:

If its not for carry on than why does rule say:The following kinds of items are prohibited as both checked and carry-on baggage:

Looks like we need to clarify a little here, so maybe I can help. This is a "general" list of what's prohibited on board the train. Notice this part is located under "Guidelines For Checked Baggage!" Go back and read carefully under "Guidelines For Carry-On Baggage!" Use the publication off the webpage as this one posted on the board has texted itself in a manner of which is a little confusing.

Anyway, under "Guidelines For Carry On Baggage," it states "not included in this limit are personal items such as briefcases, purses, laptops, and infant paraphernalia such as strollers, diaper bags and car seats."

All the listed items are simply some examples. Cell phones, PDAs, Gameboys, PSPs, MP3players, etc, are all classified as "personal items!" No where under "Guidelines For Checked Baggage" does it state you can bring "personal items" with you! I know of people who check these "personal items," though not a smart move in my opinion, however, they got by Amtrak, but WE ARE STILL NOT RESPONSIBLE! Laptop computers are also (as stated as an actual example because people are familiar with them) considered "personal items!" In other words, these "personal items" are permitted as carry on, but not in checked baggage!

So here is the clarification! You are not allowed (or at least not supposed to be) to bring a desktop computer, monitor, TV, expensive artwork, glassware, mass quanities of fresh food such as meats, produce, etc, etc etc. In other words these items are NOT considered "personal items," so these are some examples of "fragile and valuable items" you are technically not supposed to bring on the train anywhere!!!

Of course we know Amtrak. Things are not always enforced completely. NYP might let you get away with something, but SAV won't with the same thing on the return trip! But there is no typo regarding this portion of the policy! I do believe, however, they could make the point little more clear by printing some of these examples in that portion of the publication.

As far as liabilty is concerned, Amtrak has already "covered their tail" in fairly good detail under the checked baggage portion, and by noting it is not responsible for ANY carry-on luggage, items, etc. at all!

I hope this helps clear things up a bit................ Good day............. :) OBS...

Well if you want to bring them, then you'll have to fly. Just don't put them in your carryon bag as that won't work, but you can check them. You can even check your bag with a Machette in it. :blink:
Guess no trips on Tues 10/31 and I considered being a ???

What about the new digEplayers that Amtrak is offering, for a price of course, is lieu of movies in the lounge cars? Are they going to take your money in the departure station then confiscate the digEplayer as you board ??? I definitely feel sorry for the person who has to write this nonsense. They must get locked up in an old baggage car until they come up with something this ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back